Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skiing Options in October

I did a search and turned up a few scattered discussions for specific geographic regions, but out of consideration that there might be others interested in the topic (read: pure laziness) I'm starting this thread.

I will (hopefully) be graduating from school at the end of September as Dr. dark_star, and it looks like I have a job lined up afterwards. I will probably be able to push back the start date by a few weeks (3-6 at least), and the first thing to pop into my head is how I can cram in as much skiing as possible during that brief free window! Unfortunately, it seems that October isn't the best time of the year for skiing (too late for residual summer snow and too early for good fall/winter coverage), so I'm looking to tap the collective consciousness of TGR for suggestions.

I'd be looking mostly for good touring options, and I'd be looking first at options within the US/Canada if possible before heading elsewhere. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

Thanks!

What about bc skiing the South America primavera (spring)? Lots of big mountains down there.

October kinda sucks up here. High mountain glaciers are crevasse minefields unless you know it intimately well. Off glacier there usually isn't coverage except for a rocky few days right after infrequent large storms. There's a few larger patches of firn that hold fresh, but you need to know where, and they are hard to get to and aren't great in length or variety. I think you'll find more or less the same story in any mountains that support glaciers (any mountains in NA that might have reasonable snow in October). Even if you do have all the time in the world to wait around for condition, there's only a few days that are viable, though it gets better toward the end of the month. I agree with the above, go to SA or somewhere else in the southern hemisphere for their spring. Spring is the best time of year for touring, doesn't matter where. Spend twice the budget, get tenfold the number of viable days and into some legit terrain that needs a fat pack and stability.

Loveland and Abasin Colorado ! DUH ! Gods Country Colorado . A place unspoiled by modern conviences . A place where not many maggots reside . There is a place called Denver out on the wild prarie of western mysticism , a place undiscovered by Easterners . A place where you thought could never be so awesome , until you come here and feel our Shaka Vibes !

I know nothing, but with a couple weeks I would echo meter-man. October in SA or NZ is analogous to April here. Maybe Casey E sees this and chimes in..

Congratulations on the completion of your doctorate degree and it leading to successful employment!

Brooks Range man, Brooks Range
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Plenty of snow in the high alpine on the main divide in NZ. Long days and good weather.

Yup, touring in NZ sounds about right.

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Yup, touring in NZ sounds about right.
    I'll second that!!

Photos look great and the seasons seem to line up just about right, but man, quite a hike and seems like quite a few $$$ to boot.

I'm gonna fire off some PMs, if there's anything missing from this list, keep the ideas coming! Thanks guys.,

Also, bear in mind that the approaches to the high alpine on the main divide either involve a day of creek crossings and energy sapping lateral moraine rock hopping with a heavy pack or a helicopter flight.

I've had AMAZING skiing in october, both in the bridger range and places in colorado. In colorado certain spots I am not going to tell you about reliably wind load to have easy access steep skiing every october but the number of skiable lines are limited and can get skied out. The high country in colorado can also get skied safely in october. Leftover summer snow can form the base for skiing steep north facing lines off some of the biggest steepest peaks around. Look for some of the 'glaciers' around co that are known for summer skiing, they get some snow on top and can be great skiing in october.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Although I agree NZ is probably better if you can get there. PM me in a couple months if youre around CO and remember.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Hugh Conway Guest
    It's not skiing, but if you've time off you could go to the Himalaya - Ladakh/Kashmir/Sikkim/Nepal and wander through the mountains. Cheaper than NZ, not necessarily cheaper to get to, but it's a place that rewards a longer block of time than a week or two's vacation and that may be harder to find in the "real" world. the mountains are spectacular.

I can attest that there can be good Oct skiing in the CO alpine, by rock ski standards anyway. Not enough to keep you fully occupied for 3-6 weeks, but enough to scratch the itch if you want some soft turns.

We did a round-up last fall of mags skiing in October:

http://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...aggots-6555244

most of it was freak early-season pow, but some PNW mags were riding corn on south slope glaciers after a heavy september.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    It's not skiing, but if you've time off you could go to the Himalaya - Ladakh/Kashmir/Sikkim/Nepal and wander through the mountains. Cheaper than NZ, not necessarily cheaper to get to, but it's a place that rewards a longer block of time than a week or two's vacation and that may be harder to find in the "real" world. the mountains are spectacular.
    Classic hugh, he asks for skiing advice in the lower 48 and you tell him to go trekking in nepal. The best part is you are not a parody.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Classic hugh, he asks for skiing advice in the lower 48
    when did Canada become part of the lower 48? Much less Argentina or New Zealand? It's fucking october - there's nowhere "dependable", known now, for skiing. You might get some freak storm, or might not. every lazyass PHD asks the same stupid crystal ball question for the same time of year. You could hike in Washington to the high glaciers and ski some new snow. maybe, in a good year, if you are flexible; if you don't live in Washington that's alot of money in planefare/gas/whatever the fuck (count the $ leroy) for what's likely pretty shitty. similar in BC likely.

are you trying for "broke ski bum" as parody or is it more performance art?

It’s happened before, could happen again?
    http://xgames.espn.go.com/snowboardi...son-oct-ober-8

I'm calling for Sept skiing like 8 years ago.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...rts?highlight=

(TGR seems to have purged the pictures) There was, what, 3ft of fresh powder that year on Berthoud and a swarm of maggots.

I wonder if the Argentine debt default (and the drop in the currency) could result in relative bargains at Argentine ski areas-- (especially food/beverage and off-resort housing) -- flights from NYC are $1200ish to Bariloche, but early October housing deals might be plentiful.
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

I've had AMAZING skiing in october, both in the bridger range and places in colorado. In colorado certain spots I am not going to tell you about reliably wind load to have easy access steep skiing every october but the number of skiable lines are limited and can get skied out. The high country in colorado can also get skied safely in october. Leftover summer snow can form the base for skiing steep north facing lines off some of the biggest steepest peaks around. Look for some of the 'glaciers' around co that are known for summer skiing, they get some snow on top and can be great skiing in october.
    Yeah, clearly NZ/SA is the way to go in terms of reliable awesome snow, but it's also very far and expensive to get to, and expensive to ski (if I went the guide route, which I would want to), which may be a determining factor (as I don't have a job yet!). But we'll see- going to CO might be cool, even if the skiing isn't on hero snow all the time. Never hurts just to spend a few beautiful days in the mountains. If I head out there I'll look you up.

I wonder if the Argentine debt default (and the drop in the currency) could result in relative bargains at Argentine ski areas-- (especially food/beverage and off-resort housing) -- flights from NYC are $1200ish to Bariloche, but early October housing deals might be plentiful.
    Good thought- definitely worth looking into, if I find anything I'll report back.

with your whole life ahead of you and an advanced degree, take the friggin winter off and do what you can afford. or work/ski in a cool place. then get on with new job thingy. you ever take a whole winter and just ski ski ski till your blu in the face? well i did 10 winters straight out of hs and have no regrets whatsoever. give yourself the winter, mang.
    Stop it man, you're making me jealous. To quote Yoda, "once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny..."

Thanks to everyone for the advice... gonna dig a little deeper this weekend...

I usually hit hood in Sept and although sun cups are hard to predict, it is priceless to be able to start skinning after approx 10 minute walk. Have options from there on Rainier, and last Oct looked quite fun with the early storms they got. Cheap and sure thing -
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

^ yeah what he said, there was actually decent skiing on Adams last October. We got some early snow at higher elevations. You'll have to ask the magic eight ball if it will happen this year though.

I know PLENTY of people who finished their Ph.D 1-6 months later than they "expected." It's almost an epidemic. Just shoot for finishing in early November and take the winter.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

October is apparently the prime time to ski the big volcanoes in Mexico.