Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    So it seems like my plan A at the moment is basing myself out of Bariloche, and I'm currently considering guiding options. Anyone worked with these guys?

http://www.andescross.com/

When I went to LL 12 years ago, I made the mistake of pre-paying the gringo (official exchange rate) price in US Dollars for a package deal. I would suggest avoiding that if possible.
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

Skiing in October?? it's OK you have a good idea, i really have a great skiing experience in October.,

With any bit of luck, you can ski pow several places in Europe in October.
    TUX is first place that comes to mind.

http://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/en/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by robgoose View Post
    When I went to LL 12 years ago, I made the mistake of pre-paying the gringo (official exchange rate) price in US Dollars for a package deal. I would suggest avoiding that if possible.
    Thank you for sharing your experience, i will be more careful and avoid that kind of situation.

If you're in Canada , Kananaskis country always offers up decent october turns, every year. see bellow

and

Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    With any bit of luck, you can ski pow several places in Europe in October.
    TUX is first place that comes to mind.

http://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/en/home.html
    Thanks for the Info.

Sugarbush (or Stowe?) October, 2011:

Otherwise, NZ looks pretty tasty. You're only young once DS... and you've got the time!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Sugarbush (or Stowe?) October, 2011
    Berkshire East October, 2011:

Even billowed up onto my shirt one run:

But I think the Southern Hemisphere is a better bet for October than Western Massachusetts!
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Berkshire East October, 2011:

Even billowed up onto my shirt one run:

But I think the Southern Hemisphere is a better bet for October than Western Massachusetts!
    I remember that October snowstorm... it was around halloween in Cambridge, girls were running around in their skimpy outfits getting their bare thighs covered in snow. Hilarious!

Sourthern Chile and Argentina. Pucon should still be open as well as the Patagonian ski area Cerro Castor. There has been a lot of snow so far this season in the Southern Andes, so touring should be good. Might want to check this place out too: http://www.refugio-frey.com.ar/

Regardless of where you go, have fun and good luck.

Hugh Conway Guest
    didja read the south american ski thread talking about how shit the conditions are right now? fuck, travellling to ski pucon or castor would be stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    So it seems like my plan A at the moment is basing myself out of Bariloche, and I'm currently considering guiding options. Anyone worked with these guys?

http://www.andescross.com/
    Bariloche is very low on snow at the moment but the alpine terrain is skiable. One big storm can fix the situation but unless that happens I would probably not want to be here in October. In a normal year Bariloche in October is very nice. Jorge of andescross is a friend, solid guy.

and yeah, what hugh said. there are two SA threads on the front page currently. unsure where tom got the idea that there has been a lot of snow this season. (though as I said, a big storm can fix a lot)
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Certainly not the epicness of the Andes or Middle Earth, but Bridger tends to get a dump in October that renders the Ridge skiable for about a week. Also, Glacier Park has some options. I suppose if you have a good plan set out for Chile, this is kind of a moot point.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Certainly not the epicness of the Andes or Middle Earth, but Bridger tends to get a dump in October that renders the Ridge skiable for about a week. Also, Glacier Park has some options. I suppose if you have a good plan set out for Chile, this is kind of a moot point.
    Thanks- that's a good suggestion, as I've never made it to Bridger bowl. Likewise Kananaskis... those vids look sweet!

Unfortunately the Chile trip isn't a done deal yet... still working to get a group together and work out a few details... but I will be skiing in October, one way or the other!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    I'm calling for Sept skiing like 8 years ago.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...rts?highlight=

(TGR seems to have purged the pictures) There was, what, 3ft of fresh powder that year on Berthoud and a swarm of maggots.
    What an amazing weekend. I was there, and remember it well.

Quote Originally Posted by SILENCER View Post
    What an amazing weekend.
    Same weekend, different maggots.

October can be good occasionally. Planning on it, not so much.

a local ski bud has been able to ski every month for the last for the last 20 yrs and his go to has been the glaciers on the back of sweeny mtn 2hrs off the main highwy where you can drive to top of the snow field at 2200M , Angle Parking & I have done a couple of summer sessions up there this was july 1st just after it quit raining
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10362824_10152575870078064_2295210682367119233_o.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	157730  
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Killington should be open mid-oct with a WRD, and there's always a chance of a couple feet of snow at high elevations.

Skiing in october??? I've had AMAZING skiing in october, both in the bridger range and places in colorado. In colorado certain spots I am not going to tell you about reliably wind load to have easy access steep skiing every october but the number of skiable lines are limited and can get skied out. The high country in colorado can also get skied safely in october. Leftover summer snow can form the base for skiing steep north facing lines off some of the biggest steepest peaks around. Look for some of the 'glaciers' around co that are known for summer skiing, they get some snow on top and can be great skiing in october.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrance Smith View Post
    [...]In colorado certain spots I am not going to tell you about reliably wind load to have easy access steep skiing every october [...] Leftover summer snow can form the base for skiing steep north facing lines off some of the biggest steepest peaks around[...]
    Yes, TGR has great beta for exactly that combination (i.e., freshly loaded windslab on steep north-facing terrain in Colorado with a slick summer snow base)!
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SDC10182.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	772.2 KB 
ID:	157762

Antillanca, Chile, early October 2011 (looking south to Volcan Puntiagudo and Osorno).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corralco 084.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	802.7 KB 
ID:	157763

Corralco, Chile, mid October 2005 (looking south to Volcan Llaima).

No guarantee on these conditions this year, but it does happen....

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    a local ski bud has been able to ski every month for the last for the last 20 yrs and his go to has been the glaciers on the back of sweeny mtn 2hrs off the main highwy where you can drive to top of the snow field at 2200M , Angle Parking & I have done a couple of summer sessions up there this was july 1st just after it quit raining
    Sweeny is indeed a superb spot for summer skiing. A resource that goes largely underused in my estimation. Skied Mt. Hood a few weeks ago and I have to say that it's got nothing on Sweeney (except a chairlift of course). Not sure if it fits into the OP's plans given it's relative isolation. xxx-er, let's try and squeeze a fall session if possible.