Help Me Spend $2k

So, my office wants to get a basic photo setup, I have $1,500 up to a MAX of $2k. Has to be new, or refurb with a warranty. We just want to shoot random product shots for clients and up the quality of our photos in blogs/Instagram/etc. Occasionally we shoot some videos.

I was thinking a refurb D7000 with a fast prime (35mm 1.8?) and a zoom (been reading that the 55-200mm is a good buy for the money, but it seems like maybe a stretch). That would put me right around $1,100, then I could get either a cheap constant-light LED deal or a couple of speedlights and stands/umbrellas.

I just don't know enough about lighting in that price range to make smart decisions.

What say everybody?

I'm a mirrorless 4/3rds guy so I'll let everyone else chime in for bodies and such.

That said, I use my 24 - 80mm and 14-22 (equivalent) far more than I use my telephoto. Unless I had a very specific need I'd buy wider angle side of lenses and just rent a telephoto from time to time as needed.

The 35 f1.8 sounds reasonable, that or a 50 f1.8. I would go with something more like an ~18 to 55 over the 55-200, just because the long zooms seem less useful than a shorter focal length. I don't know Nikon so I'm just assuming that the 7000 is a crop, based on the price. The constant LED and a speed light or two seem like a good ideas. Throw in a tripod for sure, and probably some sort of light box or seamless background if you are going to do a lot of product shots. Look into the youngnow flash system, they are inexpensive and work well.

Also, if you want to shoot video, look into the Canon line over Nikon. And then download magic lantern.

What would you pick for Canon? I know they have the nifty fifty. Decent wide-zoom for under $600?

I just got us a new Canon 70D with a 35 f/2 and 85 f/1.8 for work. Nice little camera. I like it over the t series cameras as the body is a little more robust and bigger. ISO capabilities smokes my 5DII. It's amazing the sensors and procs coming in these higher end crops.

EDIT - made the camera sound like crap using the word cheap-o.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

i'm a rookie and only know Canon but i'll throw out the 3ti w/kit 18-55 refurb and then a second longer lens. HD vid, easy to use auto but can get as manual as you want. Get a refurb and lens and flash and you're in ~$1k.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

For Canon, a refurb full frame 6D with 24-105 f/4L lens with loyalty program with run you almost exactly $2000.

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    For Canon, a refurb full frame 6D with 24-105 f/4L lens with loyalty program with run you almost exactly $2000.
    If it were my 2k I'd be totally into it. I need support and lights as well though, which is sort of a bummer, since I'd love to borrow it on the weekends.

For canon glass at $600, you're looking at the 18-135 or a third party lens like a sigma 17-70. Both are supposed to be good but not pro-level. Both of these are crop lenses BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    What would you pick for Canon? I know they have the nifty fifty. Decent wide-zoom for under $600?
    Currently the 24-105 f/4L is 30% off refurb price with loyalty program which makes it just over 600. I know it's not under 600 but it's a huge improvement over the 28-135 (and weather sealed) for almost within your budget

For lighting, what are you looking for? Are you thinking of a light that is shoe mounted for a run and gun setup, or are you fine something on a light stand? Ever doing any sit-down interviews? Because you'll want more than one light if that is the case.

If you are trying to keep it in budget, you'll have to look at a crappy 3 light setup like something from Cowboy Studios or something. They aren't burly, but in an office environment they will be fine. For ~$250 you can get a 3 light soft box setup from them and even cheaper if you go with umbrellas. A real good set of continuous lighting would blow your budget alone. For example I have the Lowel Rifa large softbox 3 light kit which runs $1800 at work but have a cheap cowboystudio kit at home. In a small area, the cheapos work fine, but due to build quality, they wouldn't last in a normal set environment (or powerful enough). The stands are light weight metal and the bracket and even bulb sockets are made of plastic.

Also... I see zero mention of audio. Be prepared to spend another 1K at least on audio if you want anything of value.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    For lighting, what are you looking for? Are you thinking of a light that is shoe mounted for a run and gun setup, or are you fine something on a light stand? Ever doing any sit-down interviews? Because you'll want more than one light if that is the case.

If you are trying to keep it in budget, you'll have to look at a crappy 3 light setup like something from Cowboy Studios or something. They aren't burly, but in an office environment they will be fine. For ~$250 you can get a 3 light soft box setup from them and even cheaper if you go with umbrellas. A real good set of continuous lighting would blow your budget alone. For example I have the Lowel Rifa large softbox 3 light kit which runs $1800 at work but have a cheap cowboystudio kit at home. In a small area, the cheapos work fine, but due to build quality, they wouldn't last in a normal set environment (or powerful enough). The stands are light weight metal and the bracket and even bulb sockets are made of plastic.

Also... I see zero mention of audio. Be prepared to spend another 1K at least on audio if you want anything of value.
    Yeah, that's exactly where I think I'm at on lights. I want two or maybe three continuous lights, or possibly a couple of speedlights with umbrellas instead. Most of the shooting will be locked off (for stills and video) in an office environment. We don't need anything crazy. I was thinking about these: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ite_5_Two.html .

For this price range, I'm guessing most of the stuff is just as good and just as shitty as the rest of it, but will get us off the ground, and I can fight for more budget to upgrade stuff as it breaks or we outgrow it.

Luckily we have a couple of decent mics already, so audio is relatively well covered.

That set actually looks much better than the cowboy studios. They use the same type of bulbs, but the head unit on those actually look not like plastic crap. I mean, essentially all these things at the price range is a couple set of bulbs and some reflective material. I've seen people use shop type lights, blankets, tinfoil, sheets and other shit for diffusing/bouncing on the cheap. Obviously you want to actually have a setup, but in a pinch, lighting/blocking usually gets jimmy-rigged more than anything on these type of sets. Oh, and those shop lights get hot as fuck.

Also, a 5-in-1 reflector/bounce is another cheap and effective piece that can help you with less lighting and to throw some light in daylight on the subject. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ctor_Disc.html

If you go speedlights, even yongnuo, I think you are going to blow a bunch more of your budget over cheaper continuous. For two powerful Yongnuos and their good triggers for everything you are looking at $500 or so w/o stands or umbrellas.
    Last edited by systemoverblow'd; 07-29-2014 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks for the help/advice. I think this is what I'm going to do:

7D - on sale for $710 until 7/31 from Canon Refurb
    28-135 Refurb
    50mm f1.8
    Those flourescent lights from above
    Slik PRO 500HD
    Add in some CF cards, batteries and a couple of UV filters for a grand total of $1,986