Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Price police - '14 Enduro Expert Carbon 29

Looking for advice on establishing a price for my 2014 Spec Enduro Expert Carbon 29 sz. XL. Selling because while the times when the bike is well suited for the terrain, it is unparalleled... Those times are few and far between in the mid Atlantic. It has seen a little cross country duty and one day at snowshoe bike park since it was purchased. (I work a LOT, sadly)

It's this one with the pike.
    http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...pert-carbon-29

Upgrades:
    -easton haven carbon 29" wheelset (Hubs retrofitted to new style bearings and xd cassette body)
    -renthal 2pc 50mm stem
    -answer protaper carbon 780DH 1/2" rise bars
    -saint front brake with ice tech 205mm rotor

I still have all the stock parts and could easily throw them back on. I wouldn't mind keeping the stem, bars, and front brake. Wheelset is wonderful, but there's a good chance I'll go 650b so I'm not attached to it. Any advice appreciated!

Would consider trades for equivalent Stumpy or camber evos, shorter travel AM 29ers, or other 650B AM bikes.
    Last edited by MrDirt; 07-26-2014 at 10:21 PM.

4500-5k seems about right.

4500-5k including all the extras, or returned to stock? I was thinking more along the lines of 4500 stock and around 5500 with the carbon wheels, bars, etc
    Last edited by MrDirt; 07-27-2014 at 12:08 PM.

seems reasonable seeing as it's still summer of 14'.
    maybe drop it down if it doesn't sell by fall.

I fuckin' want that. Whats the $$?

Quote Originally Posted by juanbendedknee View Post
    I fuckin' want that. Whats the $$?
    Of course! It's a beast! PM me with what parts you'd want and we'll discuss price.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1406572195.097806.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	157018

Been looking at these to replace my Bronson (though I'd need a L, unfortunately). What are the "times when the bike is well suited to the terrain" that you mention? What are its strengths, and what are the areas you feel you could improve on by getting onto a different bike?

I'm guessing maybe we're in opposite situations - I have a carbon Bronson that rages on technical downhills but I think I want something that's a little more of an all-day trail bike. Demo'd a Tallboy carbon recently and was blown away by how much quicker it felt on everything except for technical downhills.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Pegleg, the Enduro 29 is not the droid you are looking for. It's a little more monster-trucky than the Bronson.

FWIW, that bike rages everything. Sure, 29er isn't for everyone but I'd be hard pressed to build a *faster* bike in its class (trail/"enduro/whatever)

pegleg, If you're looking for a large I've got one. Not carbon, but also much cheaper. Let me add my 2 cents on the E29. I've been on a lot of bikes and this by far the best bike I've ever ridden. The bike loves chunky nasty trails, but it's not overly cumbersome on smoother XC stuff. Does well in the bike park too. In my opinion, if you're going to have one bike for everything, this is the one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Been looking at these to replace my Bronson (though I'd need a L, unfortunately). What are the "times when the bike is well suited to the terrain" that you mention? What are its strengths, and what are the areas you feel you could improve on by getting onto a different bike?

I'm guessing maybe we're in opposite situations - I have a carbon Bronson that rages on technical downhills but I think I want something that's a little more of an all-day trail bike. Demo'd a Tallboy carbon recently and was blown away by how much quicker it felt on everything except for technical downhills.
    ibis mojo hdr if you want to keep the wheel size, the solo would be the option for SC but the hdr is a more all day bike like you said

Probably looking to move to a 29er; I like the sense of momentum and efficiency on longer climbs you can get with the big wheels, and it seems like some of the newer designs (like the Tallboy 2 and Ripley) don't give up much in the way of maneuverability and quickness on the descents. Not sure if the Enduro falls into this category, or is more of a tank (which is what the Tallboy LT felt like to me) that gains plushness at the expense of quickness and efficiency.

EDIT: Sorry for the thread hijack, OP.
    Last edited by Pegleg; 07-28-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Enduro, WFO, to some extent SB95 are more point and go bikes. Fast as hell but not exactly nimble.

Ripley, Tallboy 2, REmedy 29er more "precision" bikes.

Really, if you aren't riding legit DH stuff or racing EWS type enduros, I'd say the bottom choices are more fitting. On the contrary if you like to run shit over, ride more "real" DH or race "teh gnar" go with a bigger 29er.

YMMV - my $0.02

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    legit DH stuff
    "real" DH
    *ahem*

29er.

tap tap tap (with disapproving stare)

You've changed man. You've changed
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Ha. I know, I know. I guess the idea of "real" DH has certainly changed. I mean does DH, as you and I once knew it even exist anymore? If so I can't find it...

ps, note the quotations...

Ha. I know, I know. I guess the idea of "real" DH has certainly changed. I mean does DH, as you and I once knew it even exist anymore? If so I can't find it...

ps, note the quotations...
    I rode old norba race trails all weekend at mammoth and stressed a 40lb 8" travel bike so yeah.......I'm going down with the ship!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Enduro, WFO, to some extent SB95 are more point and go bikes. Fast as hell but not exactly nimble.

Ripley, Tallboy 2, REmedy 29er more "precision" bikes.

Really, if you aren't riding legit DH stuff or racing EWS type enduros, I'd say the bottom choices are more fitting. On the contrary if you like to run shit over, ride more "real" DH or race "teh gnar" go with a bigger 29er.

YMMV - my $0.02
    Funny that the bikes with the shorter chainstays are the full-on sleds. Shows how little that measurement factors into the handling equation. The rear end is quick on the enduro, and the front picks up really easy, but that front end is so long and tall that it takes some serious body English to eek it through tight trees.

My opinion of this bike is that it is terrifyingly fast in open, sweeping terrain whether it's super rough or not. Get it into some slow, tight, technical terrain and all that suspension is a lot to overcome if you run out of momentum. The latter wasn't something I figured would be a strong suit, but it can be a real handful at times in the constantly undulating terrain we've got out here. If I still lived in WY or UT I'm sure I would NOT be selling it.

Looking to dial it back to something like:
    Stumpy or Camber Evo
    Fuel EX 27.5
    Process 111 or 134

Since this thread has been thoroughly hijacked, I'll chime in. Pegleg, if you're looking to go less downhill oriented than the Bronson, the E29 isn't the bike you're looking for. If the Bronson isn't working for you, you can probably disregard the whole class of 140-150mm travel enduro bikes.

My girlfriend just shopped bikes last week, so I got to look at a few bikes myself. I would suggest continuing looking at the Tallboy, checking out the Camber and Camber EVO, and also the 5010/Bantam. Just a couple of suggestions amongst many good options. I ride a Tallboy LT and love it for it's versatility, but a regular TB with a 120mm fork would be sweet, too. The 5010/Bantam is a sleeper hit, I think. My neophyte girlfriend went with the Bantam. Interesting geometry numbers. Very low and lithe. Super balanced at lower speeds, stable. Pedal strikes will happen.

I wouldn't get rid of that Bronson until you're sure!
    I skin switch.

I have been digging this bike for a while. I have a 2014 Giant Anthem X Advanced but it seems more x-trail oriented than I wanted....You have a nice bike, if you were closer I would try and buy it off you!
    Last edited by Bird Blaster; 07-29-2014 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    x-trail oriented
    I don't even know that means.

Is that x like hella Xtreme, or x like cross, as in cross the country?

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    I don't even know that means.

Is that x like hella Xtreme, or x like cross, as in cross the country?
    more single track oriented i mean

Yeah, the Bronson is super sweet in many ways and I'm torn about getting rid of it. But realistically, 75% of the trails I ride are somewhere on the XC/trail spectrum (smooth to moderately technical but not super chunk or lots of drops) and 75% of my time is spent climbing (since I don't shuttle and it takes longer to climb the same amount of trail than to descend it). I'm sure I'll miss it when I'm riding Moab and such, but for the majority of my riding I think something that's a little more balanced between climbing and descending would be a better fit.

Yeah, the Bronson is super sweet in many ways and I'm torn about getting rid of it. But realistically, 75% of the trails I ride are somewhere on the XC/trail spectrum (smooth to moderately technical but not super chunk or lots of drops) and 75% of my time is spent climbing (since I don't shuttle and it takes longer to climb the same amount of trail than to descend it). I'm sure I'll miss it when I'm riding Moab and such, but for the majority of my riding I think something that's a little more balanced between climbing and descending would be a better fit.
    pegleg. Ibis Ripley has only been mentioned once. Great bike for what you are describing and can hold it's own on more technical descents.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    pegleg. Ibis Ripley has only been mentioned once. Great bike for what you are describing and can hold it's own on more technical descents.
    Demoed a Ripley and it was pretty awesome, only problem was that it was the loudest bike I've ever ridden - the suspension creaked and clicked like crazy, and from looking at MTBR this is apparently a known issue. It would drive me nuts to have a bike that was that loud (seriously, you could hear it coming a half mile away). If I was confident that issue was resolved, it'd be higher up on my list.

If you love the Bronson but need more XC/climby, why not the 5010?