Making Hand Planes

I'm pretty bored stuck inland - so I'm thinking if tinkering around with making some hand planes.

Anyone got any tips, tricks, pointers, templates, anything like that to share?

I've heard using Helmsmans Spar Urethane is a good choice for sealer/top coat/ waterproofing

Hit up some farmers markets. You can find some old ones for fairly cheap. Search some older boat yards.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Hugh Conway Guest
    they are more fun to make than surf I think. bodysurfing is best the less crap, handplane and fins just add overhead.

buy some paulownia, cheap, on eBay or wherever. in the past it was $15-20 a board delivered, could make a couple planes from it. the scraps make lures or other crap. Paulownia's easy to work and lighter than most everything save balsa, but more dent resistant and I think more rot resistant. linseed oil cut 50/50 with mineral spirits, a couple coats will make it look pretty. hand loop from webbing, stainless or bronze screws with finish washers. Many woods work - tried paulownia, redwood, cedar. many shapes - short, long, swallow tail, round tail, concave bottom, can't really tell much of a difference but they do look different to the eye and pretty. For extra pretty and a contrasting "stringer" of some darker hardwood.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    they are more fun to make than surf I think. bodysurfing is best the less crap
    Qft

Look up Enjoy Hand Planes - this guy out of Cardiff makes em out of scavenged boards, particle board, t shirts, etc...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Shit. I thought this thread was about sticking your hand out the window when you're driving really fast!!!
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Cyrus Sutton has a quick lil video tutorial here:

same as what Hugh said; paulownia, little fish shape, plane up the nose, put some webbing (even could use an old bike inner tube or something) and although it doesn't look like Cyrus coats it, I'm sure there's lots you could do that Hugh mentioned to make it look pretty if you're bored, which it sounds like you are...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post

same as what Hugh said; paulownia, little fish shape, plane up the nose, put some webbing (even could use an old bike inner tube or something) and although it doesn't look like Cyrus coats it, I'm sure there's lots you could do that Hugh mentioned to make it look pretty if you're bored, which it sounds like you are...

So bored ryan, so bored. Great tips though thanks guys I'll post a picture of the eventually finished product

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post

I realize the whole schtick is spend a shit ton on powertools on TGR and claim you are a dirtbag but with softwoods you don't need any of that shit; and if you don't have it a decent sander and discs costs more than an (overpriced) commerical handplane. A coping saw, cheap block plane and some sand paper works. You can pick that stuff up for next to nothing.

just use a flip flop

Quote Originally Posted by whitekingsalmon View Post
    just use a flip flop
    I go with crocs when it's under waist high
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

The initial shape - nice concave and rocker from the middle up - used an old flea market find - USA 60's Craftsman Handplane and hand sanding - finishing the fine details tomorrow and beginning the strap and stain.

No idea if this is an effective shape for hand planes though... I've never tried it before

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1406587164.527436.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	494.3 KB 
ID:	157022

Hugh Conway Guest
    looks good, these were a couple of mine. did some smaller ones too.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...55#post3325655

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    looks good, these were a couple of mine. did some smaller ones too.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...55#post3325655
    Hey not bad I like those straps Hugh

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1406656306.512714.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	499.9 KB 
ID:	157032 first coat of spar urethane down - and one of the benefits of this Helmsmans stuff they don't mention is that it gets you high as crap if you forget to mask up

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1408667375.181471.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	767.6 KB 
ID:	157618

Newest model

Nice top sheet. Will you get a chance to try them out?