Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bozeman Mags: Ride Info for this weekend?

Hey Guys,
    Last minute, I'll be leaving work at 3 today and won't have tgr access after that, but I'll be looking for a ride in Bozeman tomorrow AM and Monday AM. Looking for two must hit rides, 2 hrs or so of ride time, shuttles fine, climbing is OK but I'd prefer something under 3k vert (up). Any shop recommendations to get beta from?
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

How about Emerald Lake and Brackett Creek?

I can't do Emerald Lake in two hours, but I'm slow. It's a classic though. Trail is wide because it's old but there's enough stuff to make it interesting. I believe this is closed to bikes on Fridays.

For Brackett, I usually just ride up to the point where it levels out and, if you were to continue, you'd start across the ridgeline. Then I turn around. Good downhill, trail is in good shape. Excellent views of the Bridgers.

Another options would be Sypes Canyon. I never ride this because it's full of children and dogs on weekends. Might be quiet enough to make it worthwhile.

I'm loathe to recommend Leverich. Some people love it. I don't. But it's close to town and short.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Hey Guys,
    Last minute, I'll be leaving work at 3 today and won't have tgr access after that, but I'll be looking for a ride in Bozeman tomorrow AM and Monday AM. Looking for two must hit rides, 2 hrs or so of ride time, shuttles fine, climbing is OK but I'd prefer something under 3k vert (up). Any shop recommendations to get beta from?
    Pick up the BZN/Big Sky/W Yellowstone Map
    this post on MTBR has most of the info fleshed out a bit more (http://forums.mtbr.com/idaho-montana...an-761087.html)

Beyond Emerald (up in Hyalite, out and back) which was already mentioned and is does have closure days to biking, given your elevation/times I'd recommend:

Chestnut Ridge (newish, I climb the road to the single track, hard corps types ride as out and back)
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ail-Bozeman-TR

Bangtail Divide (I ride the Grassy section, up the road @ Olsen and down Bracket, hard corps types do out and back from Bracket Creek)

Shafthouse (doesn't get the publicity of other rides, but it's shuttleable, and has amazing views of the crazy's and a super fast downhill similar to Garnet)

http://www.singletracksummer.com/200...trail-540.html

http://bozelandexplorations.wordpres...fthouse-trail/ <=different route, I'd recommend the traditional route, which is up the fairy lake road, right onto shafthouse trail -- after the road climb and just before the road sweeps to the left and fairy lake, you'll see sign/trail to right, take that right, climb the ridge, bomb back to gravel road, right on main road, which is where you could park a 2nd car if shuttling)

Garnet (Gallatin Canyon, park at castle rock, ride up road past rat lake, eventually get to left (super fast downhill back to car, with side-hill exposure) and if feeling spunky you can hike up to the forest cabin...

Lastly, depending on how you drive, if coming from the 'Hole, you're going to be driving by the BEST SW Montana rides (Lionhead area outside W. Yellowstone), which has Sheep Creek (out and back), Mile Creek (out and back) or Mile-Sheep, new CDT reroute from Targhee Pass (both sides of the road, out and back, N Side is better, S Side is buffer...)

All of the Lionhead trails would also be visible on the BZN/BS/W Yellowstone map referenced above. MTBers cleared all the trails 2 weeks ago, so should be SWEET...

no mean to spam this thread, but this is a worthwhile purchase...

http://www.beartoothpublishing.com/guidemtnbike.php

the company puts out very high quality products, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrapin Ben View Post
    no mean to spam this thread, but this is a worthwhile purchase...

http://www.beartoothpublishing.com/guidemtnbike.php

the company puts out very high quality products, IMO.
    This is the map I was talking about, which is better if you have a general idea of what you're doing than the one linked above:

http://www.beartoothpublishing.com/bozeman.php

I would say shafthouse as a shuttle if you have that option. Downhill has everything and is pretty long(reroute sucks balls though). I would also throw Truman gulch out there for a quick out and back. Buddy rode it yesterday and said it's getting a little loose and dry but it's a rocky, rooty trail with a couple of real fun hits. I have Been riding both quite a bit this season. Leverich is ok for what it is, good climb with groomed downhill(smooth and bermed out). I'm really just waiting for curly to be rideable and try and do the sheep to mile epic. Good luck, oh and the guys at alter cycles are super cool and could give you more options.

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    How about Emerald Lake and Brackett Creek?

I can't do Emerald Lake in two hours, but I'm slow. It's a classic though. Trail is wide because it's old but there's enough stuff to make it interesting. I believe this is closed to bikes on Fridays.

For Brackett, I usually just ride up to the point where it levels out and, if you were to continue, you'd start across the ridgeline. Then I turn around. Good downhill, trail is in good shape. Excellent views of the Bridgers.

Another options would be Sypes Canyon. I never ride this because it's full of children and dogs on weekends. Might be quiet enough to make it worthwhile.

I'm loathe to recommend Leverich. Some people love it. I don't. But it's close to town and short.
    There is some good beta in this thread, but for simplicity's sake and bang for buck, I'd stick with these reccos. Fun, classic out and backs.

thanks all, getting a book and a map from a buddy on the way out of town, thinking Bangtail tomorrow, and one of those monday AM.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

where you gonna fish?

The basics have been covered, but I have some info to add. Some dickhead "backcountry horsemen" took it upon themselves to reroute part of the Shafthouse trail. What we are left with right now are two different trails that are both F'ed up. They did it without anybody's permission, and cut a new section in the middle, and turned over the old trail. Most of the trail is still fine, but it definitely affects the overall ride.

When I was up there a few weeks ago, I sampled both the old and the new. Both are about equally un-fun. Like the worst horse-fucked riding you've ever done. A low intermediate couldn't even ride it downhill, it's that bad. As far as I know there is no plan to fix it, either. We'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by greasyslope View Post
    The basics have been covered, but I have some info to add. Some dickhead "backcountry horsemen" took it upon themselves to reroute part of the Shafthouse trail. What we are left with right now are two different trails that are both F'ed up. They did it without anybody's permission, and cut a new section in the middle, and turned over the old trail. Most of the trail is still fine, but it definitely affects the overall ride.

When I was up there a few weeks ago, I sampled both the old and the new. Both are about equally un-fun. Like the worst horse-fucked riding you've ever done. A low intermediate couldn't even ride it downhill, it's that bad. As far as I know there is no plan to fix it, either. We'll see what happens.
    why did you put quotes around the phrase backcountry horsemen? are you saying they're not bc horse people? like they're local dressage and steeplechase riders who can't handle a horse on a trail?

I put quotes around it because it was a quote. Get it?

I put quotes around it because it was a quote. Get it?
    I get that you're a flatlander Bobcat student who considers himself a badass, yes.

You sure got me pegged bro. All knowing CF!

I'll tell you what I know about you: You're smart, maybe too smart for your own good. You waste an enormous amount of time on forums. Your internet personality is an insufferable, insane, bitchy, cunt, faggot. And when I say faggot, just to be clear, this sums up what I mean:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcja4WFFzDw

So, feel free to flame away, and attack me from now on, faggot. I will not engage, but you go ahead and spend as much time on me as you want. There, that felt good.

Great, so back on track: What sections of Shafthouse? In my mind, the middle is the section where you cross the old dirt roads.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Yeah the section after you drop out the alpine and before you cross the first 2 track. I don't know the situation but it'll give ur suspension a good workout. Pretty short section but still shitty none the less. I actually found it entertaining in a really fucked up way

Ok, that's what I figured. That's too bad.

On a related note, am I the only who didn't know about the Triple Tree re-route that was done last fall? They re-did the west facing portion of the loop into something rideable. It's too bad it's so damn wide (it's conspicuously as wide as a bobcat), but it looks like they used an inclinometer this time, unlike other recent trails.

rode Brackett Creek up to the fireroad and back down, some spectacular views. I need to come back and do Bangtail S-N like I have read is the proper way. Only got one ride in, got too excited on fishing.

There, that felt good.
    It always "feels good" to imagine you got away with pretending to be something you're not, eh? Almost like an orgasm after jerkin' your gherkin to your fave fantasy.

So, were they actual backcountry riders, or were you trying to be post-modern post-comedy "ironic" with those quote marks? Hurry now and complain that every trail doesn't resemble what kidwoo and rideit say trails should be! Flow! Lots of flow! Easy, 40m radius "corners" and lots of flow!

OK, CF, since you actually asked a question, I will answer it. AFAIK, they were actually backcountry horsemen. I don't know if you are familiar with the Shafthouse trail, but it was (and mostly still remains) good, old school singletrack for the most part. I don't think anyone would describe it as "flowy" in a new school sense. It has some of the narrowest singletrack around these parts, and the section the dickheads destroyed was pretty sweet, in a way that they just don't build trails anymore (There was a steppy, waterbar section they destroyed that I am sure did not drain properly according to new trail standards). The new trail section might not be sooooo bad, except it appears that they were working on it when it was at it's muddiest, and the large hooved animals they were utilizing left a trail that hardened into some serious shittiness. I like challenging riding, but I did not find this fun. Perhaps, I was also just too annoyed about what somebody had done to my beloved trail, and it left me jaded? I guess I'll find out next time I head up there to ride.

As for trails, I like all kinds of trails, and generally I do prefer trails that aren't too flowy. Some flow trails are super fun, such as the trails in the 18 mile area in Fruita. I'd be lying if I said A-Line didn't bring a big shit eating grin to my face every run, as well. The flow trails we have around these parts are fairly lame, and some of my least favorite local trails -the ones that come to mind are Grassy Mountain, aka Brackett Creek, and Leverich Canyon.

Since you don't live too far away, you may be familiar with two of my favorite rides I have done in the past couple of weeks: Mile Creek to Sheep Creek, and Curly Lake. I consider these to be rather primitive, old school, and not very flowy. Curly has started to get enough moto traffic that certain parts are getting rutted out, and filled with lots of loose baby heads, and I can't say I love that part, but I don't think that is going to change. I like mountain biking, and I like good trails (of course, this is subjective) no matter the style. Does this make me an acceptable mountain biker now?

Curly has started to get enough moto traffic that certain parts are getting rutted out, and filled with lots of loose baby heads, and I can't say I love that part, but I don't think that is going to change.
    Started? Moto traffic is what has kept that trail open and clear before all the mountain bikers started rushing to it because they saw it in a book. Talk to the old timer dirt bikers and they will tell you a different story about what kind of traffic has increased.
    My Montana has an East Infection

^^Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough, I know the motos have been riding the area for a long time, but the amount of moto traffic has increased dramatically in the years that I have been riding the area, and the effect on the trail is noticeable. That's all I'm saying. I do also know that the amount of mountain bike traffic has increased exponentially, but I highly doubt that the trail conditions show it too much.

I'm not trying to get into a war about to moto or not. I know some of the old timer dirt bikers, and I have heard enough of their tales to know better. However, can anyone really argue that a bike with a bunch of horsepower doesn't produce a noticeable change in the trail conditions, especially somewhere like Curly, where a lot of the trail is loose and sandy? Does that mean they should be disallowed? No, it just means I don't like how the trail rides as much after a bunch of dirt bikers have ripped it a new one.

As mountainman said:

Curley ruined by shuttlers, not motos. As a result of listing in a trail book. For MTBs. "Growing the sport."

Welcome to Montana, greenhorn. Stop trying so hard. I know that before you moved here, you imagined rugged & rough, Coombs and Schmidt styled badass was the rule of the day and you didn't feel you measured up, so you adopted a new pose that you imagined was "Montana-like" and are carrying it forward here.

Please feel free to return to Flatlandia, Urbanfancy as soon as you get your BA in BA at Bobcat U.

Does that mean they should be disallowed? No, it just means I don't like how the trail rides as much after a bunch of dirt bikers have ripped it a new one.
    What a douchenozzle. People like you are ruining Curley, but you blame motos. Smug ignorance has never been so well presented -- at least not since stuckie last opined on something he knew diddly squat about.

Ah, back to FAGGOTRY.

GO CATS! WOOHOO!

Homophobic trustafarians pretending they're more badass than their meatspace self warrants.

Thank you for another dose of comedy, TGR. My favorite kind. The kind when some maggot wannabe brobrahbris dipshit steps in his own shit.