Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I've lived on Cape Cod my whole life. If you want any specific beta let me know. And the water isn't nearly as cold as some make it out to be. My 4 year old has been swimming non stop for months now, north side.

Generally speaking, IMO, Destin area on the gulf are the best overall beaches in the contintintal US, only drawback the waves 2ft. Generally very clear water, depending on the tide with a green tint or a caribian blue, and bright white sand. Ft. Walton to Cape San Blas. The atlantic side, really at least to coco, water is very brown. Can't see shit, but you get better waves. 3 ft. or so on average. maybe 5 with a storm. We like Tybee, decent city near by (savanah), great surf spot. when you get north of tybee something about the shape of the coast, the waves are smallish 2ft till you get to folly beach. True for the golden ilses too, really NO waives much to speak of, but really wide beaches lots of sand bars. Hitlon Head a good place, good info above. If can walk a bit to the beach condos 2-3 blocks inland hella cheep. $1k a week. I'd also nose around Wilimington area some. Holden, Carolina, Topsail, all good atantic beaches. All these have very warm waters this time of year. Mytle beach = wal mart by the sea. As a kid we always went to pawley's but it's changed a lot.

Hatteras the shit for waves but as obverved, a long, long way from nothin. Can't help with points further north. Let us know your choice!
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    We've had a home on Hilton Head for 30 years so call me biased if you want but I think it's fantastic. Quiet, miles of broad beach, warm water, lots of family activities but not anything like go karts or stuff like that. Hell, neon and backlit signs are outlawed on the island so that keeps a lot of that type stuff out. (Cue HoA/planning board nazi comments). After dark the island is pitch black and quiet except for Harbor Town/Shelter Cove. Great eats, lots of nature stuff to do like kayaking, world class golf, and there's a whole foods so you can get all your local-organic-sustainables.

I'd actually recommend anywhere in Low Country (Chas-->Savannah): isle of Palms and Sullivan's Island in Charleston (see Bill Murray at a bar!), Kiawah, Beaufort, Edisto Is., Bluffton, HHI, Daufuskie Is., Tybee Is. Or any of Georgia's Golden Isles: St Simons, Sea Island, Little St Simons (wild horses on the beach and very rustic) Jekyll Is.

Low Country is where it's at. PM me if you want details.

Edit: OBX is nice but such a slog to get out there.
    our family has had a time share there since the early 80's. (spicebush, south beach rd in SPP). Totally agree about the beach/golf etc, but it is much busier these days. Was just telling my son the story of riding miles down the beach not realizing the tail wind and slogging back into a headwind with him in a bike booster seat. He's a Jr in college.

A good college friend owns aunt chiladas, and parts of crazy crab and reillys sports bar. Great place. fly to savannah and rent a car.

^we'd rent 2bdr in port royal near the tennis courts, still maybe $1,100 with cleaning for a week. Getcha a wagon or a home depot cart to get to the beach. great bang for the buck.

I LOVE cape san blas though, and while the clear evening doesn't always happen when it does and you you get that dramatic sunset into the ocean thing....
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    our family has had a time share there since the early 80's. (spicebush, south beach rd in SPP). Totally agree about the beach/golf etc, but it is much busier these days. Was just telling my son the story of riding miles down the beach not realizing the tail wind and slogging back into a headwind with him in a bike booster seat. He's a Jr in college.

A good college friend owns aunt chiladas, and parts of crazy crab and reillys sports bar. Great place. fly to savannah and rent a car.
    Pretty cool. We're in the North Gate Mariners neighborhood in Palmetto Dunes Plantation. I'd agree with crowds during high season but only south of Coligny Beach to SPP - up by us it's wide open in both directions. Never crowded.

278 on and off the island can be silly though.

30A is also nice in FL too for whoever mentioned that. Rosemary Beach is very doable.
    I still call it The Jake.

Wow Iceman, I love your rambling.

I just got back from some touristy stuff in town with my visiting mother-in-law. I need to rest and read these posts (more later).

Iceman, I've been to PEI a 3 times (like 1975, 1997 and 2009). It is on the short list as a possible return destination. You are correct that the water there (and Eastern coast of New Brunswick) is warmer than Maine.

Someone else mentioned Cape Cod. We've been there once in 2008. Water gets better, but as a kid (at heart), I preferred the waves and tide tides in southern Maine.

Virginia Beach : Not that it was on the list as a possible destination, but it was the only places I heard only name than Myrtle Beach that is in south of NJ and north of Florida.

I need to get back to the family, but I'll read all your info in details. Thanks again....and keep firing away if you can.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by MadPatSki View Post

- Water temperature : warmer
    - Big tides : yes
    - Waves : yes
    - Ocean
    - Family friendly
    - Not a sharp dropoff in the water
    - Beautiful sandy beaches
    - Not too commercial

Destin, Pensacola and Rosemary Beach covers the majority of this checklist.
    Destin is resorty, lots of shops while Rosemary and Pensacola Beach are both low key with miles of open beach, parks, easy to camp on the beach if that's your thing. Pensacola is the only one with surf tho.

Most of these are on Pcola Beach.

Quote Originally Posted by MadPatSki View Post
    but it was the only places I heard only name than Myrtle Beach that is in south of NJ and north of Florida.
    Not sure what this sentence means but as far as great recs for south of NJ and north of FL, see all the Low Country advice above when you can.

Sucks for that sloop in the pics from 30A above! Wha'happen?!?

Everybody here sports the OBX wood, but invariably comes back bitching about traffic. It's nice once you get on and in, and the fishing is solid. We generally stick to the familiarity of the Carolinas, but shoot for more low key.

North Topsail is the current favorite. Very mellow, beach to yourself, but close enough to stuff if you want to get out. Ocean Isle and Sunset Beach are nice. Heard a lot about Oak Island recently, kinda old school. Spent my youth on Emerald Isle, and still love the place, but it's gotten crowded.

My sister is a big fan of Edisto in SC. I spent a little time on Isle of Palms and enjoyed it. Mellow, plenty of open beach, but close to Charleston for some good food and drinks.

The clear water in Florida is overrated. Who wants to know what kind of creepy shit is lurking beneath the surface? Green, murky ignorance for me, thank you.

These are all places that support my ideal beach trip, which involves lots of drinking, swimming, fishing, drinking, playing on the beach with the kids, drinking, eating and very little leaving the confines of the house/beach. Ocean front is critical, IMO.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

FKNA iceman gets the gold star, pretty much hit the nail on the head.

My only experiences are the Cape and NJ.

I used to spend a good chunk of my summers on the Cape when I was younger. Depending how old the other kids are finding a smaller neighborhood that has a chance of other vacationers is a good thing. Hell I still talk to one of the friends I made up there a decade ago. Tons of things to do on the Cape and there's always something within a reasonable drive.

As far as NJ goes, not as bad as you'd like to think… as long as you don't go farther north than Long Beach Island. Thank the lord for Barnegat Inlet. LBI is really nice, I'm down there almost every weekend that I'm home. The southern end of the island (Beach Haven) gets more traffic than the northern half and the beaches are definitely more open the farther north you go. I would stay clear of Atlantic City. Cape May/Wildwood is a fun spot for sure.

One of my favorite parts about all those places, good eats!

Not sure what this sentence means but as far as great recs for south of NJ and north of FL, see all the Low Country advice above when you can.
    It means I should review after I type something then modify it.

Yeah, I meant I didn't know shit for stuff below NJ....with the exception of Southern Florida.
    Ski Mad World

Well i think I'm in the best place in the world as we speak, but hey

It's not bad.

^I can't argue with that statement... especially today.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Sucks for that sloop in the pics from 30A above! Wha'happen?!?
    Some guy from Louisiana bought the boat in Maryland and decided to sail it back to LA while there was a big storm in the Gulf. Mainsail got shredded in the storm and since he didn't have a motor or an extra mainsail he ended up on the beach.
    It sat that way for a few months, he didn't have insurance and for some reason didn't call seatow to get it pulled out so after awhile the scavengers moved in.

I'm partial to cape cod, Nantucket and vineyard cause those are my stomping grounds. Hit them all up last week. Woods hole is a fun little trip, so is madaket and menemsha. Two sleepy parts and WH is tits when it comes to marine biology!! They have a tiny aquarium there too. Fish, beach and get on a boat and got to cuttyhunk, penekise island and Hadley harbor. Your gonna have to find a special boat captn "ice" to take u there.

Sent from my XT1080 using TGR Forums

I'm gonna throw in another vote for Chincoteague / Assateague (sp?) Haven't been in ten years, but went to school around there. It is a national park, the wild ponies are kind of cool (cooler if your a kid) you could camp on the beach, surfing was decent, and if you want to get into something (bars, boardwalk, shopping, whatever) Ocean City is fifteen minutes away. And while it is not a terribly classy locale, keep in mind this is MD were talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by reganized View Post
    I'm partial to cape cod, Nantucket and vineyard cause those are my stomping grounds. Hit them all up last week. Woods hole is a fun little trip, so is madaket and menemsha. Two sleepy parts and WH is tits when it comes to marine biology!! They have a tiny aquarium there too. Fish, beach and get on a boat and got to cuttyhunk, penekise island and Hadley harbor. Your gonna have to find a special boat captn "ice" to take u there.

Sent from my XT1080 using TGR Forums
    Capt'n Ice took you to Hadley? Bring me next time and I'll get you on the island for some mint julips...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    If you're going to NC/SC stay away from Myrtle Beach. I'd recommend Outer Banks in NC or Hilton Head in SC. Nice beaches with warm water. Both family friendly.
    I concur. MB sucks. Way too built up and busy. Have spent a lot of time at OB and HH. Had a condo on HH for years. HH for beach with golf (really great golf), tennis, resorts, etc. OB for beach with beach town stuff. Both are great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Gunnison Beach, NJ.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Gunnison Beach, NJ.
    Heh. Made the mistake of going there with a college buddy once. Pretty much cured me of ever wanting to see another nude beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Heh. Made the mistake of going there with a college buddy once. Pretty much cured me of ever wanting to see another nude beach.

Needs more boomboxes blaring out conflicting songs, but otherwise accurate.

Ahh Gunnison Beach. I remember fishing Sandy Hook with my dad way back when and some old dude walked the mile and a half from the nude beach to the point.

It was my first sex ed class.

Okay, my mother-in-law is gone....and I need to start looking at this seriously. I'll also look at the forecast.

When? Freaking this coming week. :O Not looking for great place, just not to far from the water / beach.

I've been at a few places last moment. Talked to the family today and there is no clear consensus.

Looking into...

Best forecast would seemed to be between Cape Cod and Virginia. Further South and PEI seem okay, but has a few chances of rain.

Leaving Sunday back next weekend...so long distance MIGHT be stretching it with the family (ie. kids - and us listening to them if they fight). I've gone to West Virginia to ski in the Frankenstorm from Ottawa for just 2-days in October 2012, so I don't mind the driving.

Short list (more or less in order for preference with would include the driving / forecast, etc):

- Maine :
    I know a few places, especially Old Orchard as a young kid lost with the other tourists from Quebec. My oldest when a few times when she was a toddler. The water cool...but waves and tides is cool. Plus we can stop and hike in the White Mountains on our way down. 398mi (7;04)
    - Martha Vinyard / Nantucket :
    Never been and curious - I think someone mentioned it was $$$ and crowded? 526mi (10:10)
    - Wildwood / Cape May :
    I've been twice (as a kid and in my 20s (2-days)) and it an easy drive from Ottawa. 538mi (8:22)
    - Outer Banks :
    As a geographer, I like exploring part of the World where I've never been and the place looks awesome. Plus it would seem to be the place that was mentioned most here. 786mi (12:45)
    - PEI :
    I've been three times (as a kid once, 2009 is the most recent time). Beautiful beaches. 829mi (13:38)
    - Assateague/Chincoteague
    584mi (9:06)
    - Somewhere in Low County / Hilton Head
    I can't believe I put it on the list...it is last due to distance - 1129 mi for 1 week. (16:55)
    But again, love to explore new places.

Suggestions on finding a good deal (I know, no really any deals to be found this time of the year). The worst is that we are probably not going to camp. So motel-ish. Looking for specific info for OB, A/C. Unless LC/HH is a steal compare to the other places, I don't think the family will decide on this one.

Thanks again...
    Ski Mad World

The weather in so. Maine looks questionable this coming week, but this past week te mornings have been perfect with afternoon/evening tstorms.

York for sure. Add candlestick bowling, arcades, beach side playground and taffy machines. Also, short sands seemed way warmer than well/drakes. Seven miles north the marginal way is a killer film stroll. I'm all nostalgic now, but this place is killer.