Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Btw, film stroll = family stroll. I guess you could film it if you wanted, but while a beautiful piece of coastline, that would be one boring unedited bit of gopro.

Tide pools along crescent beach this morning were a load of fun. Maybe it was the Congdon's donut and fresh cup of joe in my belly, but good times were had. So much fun with the kids around here.

I spent a few hours on the computer, I found a few places with vacancies for a great price / location.

My favorite (and the wifey) was a place in Buxton (Outbanks) NC.
    Totally awesome place, quiet, etc.
    Never been even close to that part of the country.
    Kids like the idea of waves and warm water.
    Not much choice for food (for vegans which represent 75% on our family). Motel didn't have a kitchenette.
    They didn't like the drive (close to 14hrs).

The other choice was Wildwood NJ.
    Close to the beach with rides and boardwalk, kitchenette for about the same price as in Buxton.
    More things to do.
    The big winner is that the distance to drive 823km versus 1348km and about 8 hours.

We are a bit disappointed (wife and me), but it pretty much something new for everyone except me. I guess it is better than a worst case scenario of kids fighting and complaining for double the car time.

Check-in in Wildwood...tomorrow night.

PS. Maine was looked at, but the fact that we had been a few times. water temp and that I didn't find the right place (location) for the right price...especially after finding Buxton.
    Last edited by MadPatSki; 08-02-2014 at 06:53 PM.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Buxton would have been great for you guys but kinda quiet for the kids, that plus the drive equals you made the right choice between those two, have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Buxton would have been great for you guys but kinda quiet for the kids, that plus the drive equals you made the right choice between those two, have fun.
    Thanks. The final result is totally different in what I had in mind in June. I was thinking Gaspe Peninsula with some hiking, the Yukon or Newfoundland, but when my youngest mentioned swimming in the (warmer) sea, those options got crossed out. I know, New Jersey compare to the Yukon?

However I have great memories as my Wildwood visit as a kid back in 1978(?). In 1978 we came back to Montreal via a few days in NYC. The kids have seen NYC in 2011. Philadelphia is on the most direct route from Ottawa to Wildwood, so we might spend a day there. Any suggestions for kids? I made a stopover for 1 day on my way back from Washington in 1993.

Iceman (or anyone else), if you like beaches and water and you've never been to the Magdalen Islands in Quebec (in the middle of the Gulf of St.Lawrence), it's also been on the list. http://www.tourismeilesdelamadeleine.com/en/

It is a long ferry ride from PEI or you fly there. I might decide to use some airline points to go off-season.

So off to New Jersey tomorrow....and flying out to Portland (Oregon) at the end of August to cool off a bit and get back on snow.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Yeah. That jersey water is typically about 78F in August. Compare that to the barely 60F here in ME, and ya made a good call.

I love me some outer banks as well, but it is real quite down that way. Don't know if you have extended family, but that can liven it up. Cousins and eating at home and renting a big place on the sand. Have fun in Jersey. I think that is powderwhore7 old neighborhood if you are looking for local knowledge.

Currently down the shore at Long Beach, you guys are coming in right when the bad weather is scooting out. Hope you have a good time.