Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I kind of feel like this what Haro was trying to do a few yrs ago when they licensed sc/intense/ellsworth frame designs for mtb bikes. They sold well when I worked at hoback and it was nice to be able to have that cheaper option to offer to people.
    Not sure how much volume they'd have to do to make it worth it with how tight bike margins are though.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeykong View Post
    Of course there is demand for it, who wouldn't want a cheaper bike.
    all of the people in sprocket rockets who have to have the latest and greatest? there's demand to spend less money. there isn't demand for the product that costs less. this is repeated time and time again in action sports, for hard goods, soft goods, and lodging. See threads on here where everyone takes pride in collecting thousands of dollars of tools* to wrench bikes themselves. People bitching that a cheapo motel in one of the best roadside touring spots in the world was actually.. a cheapo motel and not a W branch that happened to charge $60 a night. And that, dear douchebags, is why you can't have nice shit on this 22nd of July in the year 2014.

*excluding all the bros pimping shit.

Had the market for mountain bikes evolved from a $1000 bike it would be one thing. I agree that people who spend a lot of time with action sports may tend to spend a little more than they need--they are expensive hobbies afterall. But, if you could get a descent bike like the precept to the masses in large quantities (Dick's, Target, Costco) you'd be doing them a favor! I've read a lot of horror stories of people buying 400-500 dollar bikes at Dicks to bend the rim after they jump one curve. If they had an option like the precept (at $1000 even better) and understood the differences in the bang for the buck, said $1000 bike would be a HUGE sucess.
    I've beaten myself up on my mountain bike on occasion and people at work ask, "how is your bike?" It's fine, because a good mountain bike can handle a lot of abuse. It would be great to see someone bridge the gap between crap box store bike and second-mortgage-consuming competition bike.

My boss is a new rider in his late forties who would buy this immediately. I would prob get one for my wife too if you made it in a small enough size
    No gnar was harmed in the writing of this post...

Quote Originally Posted by mogul5480 View Post
    I would prob get one for my wife too if you made it in a small enough size
    ^^^THIS - don't discount the guys who try to get their GF/Wife into mtn biking.
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chatton18 View Post
    yeah, a better non-WSD frame would be a great cheap rig for the smaller men buying on the used market when inevitably the GF/Wife doesn't give a shit about whatever sport hubbie tried to push her into.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenstateofmind View Post
    Had the market for mountain bikes evolved from a $1000 bike it would be one thing. I agree that people who spend a lot of time with action sports may tend to spend a little more than they need--they are expensive hobbies afterall. But, if you could get a descent bike like the precept to the masses in large quantities (Dick's, Target, Costco) you'd be doing them a favor! I've read a lot of horror stories of people buying 400-500 dollar bikes at Dicks to bend the rim after they jump one curve. If they had an option like the precept (at $1000 even better) and understood the differences in the bang for the buck, said $1000 bike would be a HUGE sucess.
    I've beaten myself up on my mountain bike on occasion and people at work ask, "how is your bike?" It's fine, because a good mountain bike can handle a lot of abuse. It would be great to see someone bridge the gap between crap box store bike and second-mortgage-consuming competition bike.
    what kind of bot are you? how did you learn to string together so many awkward cliches and mis-heard concepts like jumping a curve?

thanks for the 8th grader viewpoint, this forum doesn't really have enough of that

I AM A PROVIDER AND I AM PROVIDING A BIKE. NOW START RIDING SO I CAN REVEL IN MY PROVIDERSHIP!

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    what kind of bot are you? how did you learn to string together so many awkward cliches and mis-heard concepts like jumping a curve?

thanks for the 8th grader viewpoint, this forum doesn't really have enough of that

I AM A PROVIDER AND I AM PROVIDING A BIKE. NOW START RIDING SO I CAN REVEL IN MY PROVIDERSHIP!
    Value added comment, yet again. If you hate it here so much, why do you still post?

Yes thats exactly the mindset most guys have Creeky.

When's the last time you got laid?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Value added comment, yet again. If you hate it here so much, why do you still post?
    Oohhh, it's a TGR value arbiter! Hit the "dislike" button again Mr. Value Added Post.

yeah, chatton's right, they'd be higher order thinking if they thought "provider", it's more low level bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Oohhh, it's a TGR value arbiter! Hit the "dislike" button again Mr. Value Added Post.

yeah, chatton's right, they'd be higher order thinking if they thought "provider", it's more low level bullshit.

thanks for enlightening us yet again

Hugh Conway Guest
    you can only enlighten people who want to be so chatton, you and y'alls just want to suck some pro-dick and go to water cooler places to jerkoff on social media over. like "Cham". it's mostly garbage (such is human existance) that apes the crap media.]

see the OP - people ride trails all the time in <$1k bikes. Bought used from the Fashion Faire of Sprocket Rockets, or PinkBike, or everywhere else that bike snobs cast off their "has been" steads. Many of those sub-woo equipped untermensch enjoy themselves. But if you've got to sell shit, the new you must have, so you are stuck in the paradigm of obsoleted crap to keep fucktron's in jobs.

what a child you are, a petulant child, a spoiled child, a whiny entitled arrogant child.

I post rarer than most. I post only in a few threads out of thousands. still you can't handle that I don't post exactly as you would have me post. reminder: I'm not you. 2d reminder: I'm not your puppet, your alter ego, or your own personal version of stuckie.

Yes thats exactly the mindset most guys have Creeky.

When's the last time you got laid?
    do you have to work that hard at telling yourself I'm angry? do you have a full profile worked up for me, without ever meeting me once? yes. as to both Qs.

men frequently try to get their GF/wife/fianceeeeeeee into a sport in order to legitimate more gear lust, to get less bite from her when you make her jealous of that sport you do, and to ...prove they're a provider.

someone has to hold up the john's end of the prostitution deal.

reminder for you: most of the time you think I'm angry & serious, I'm having a laugh at you and am polar-opposite the state of anger. it's the fact that you're angry at me that makes you think I'm angry at you.

way to project that shit, eeyore. if that's how you interact with people in meatspace, I'd be surprised if you were ever introduced to sex outside the ritualistic onanism that normally accompanies people who can't read other humans worth a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    people ride trails all the time in <$1k bikes.
    that's not possible. I've heard people actually ride trails on bikes with 70(&up) deg HA and no rear suspension and actually have fun doing it, but that's impossible too. they can't actually be riding, they can't actually be having fun. probably they're just making shit up to post on the internet to come off like a badass old schooler who is so good he doesn't need a 25 lbs 7+7 travel carbon Enduro+ with 64deg HA and 10.5" BB height and 135mm cranks to prove to the internet that he's a honch.

it's just some troll who needs to be asked, "why do you post at TGR if you actually believe you can have fun on a cheap hardtail that has pre-2010 geometry?"

sometimes I really do forget that in the phrase grow the sport, the "sport" is to be translated as, "my income derived from selling bikes/parts/service, or cheap throwaway psyop fluff wording/images designed to sell bikes/parts/service/stoke."
    Last edited by creaky fossil; 07-24-2014 at 06:22 PM.

Jesus, Creaky. Go ride a bike and then take a valuum, man. If I want to jumb a fuvking curve on TRgr, I'll jump a fuking curve. But don't fall off the curb at the bus stop, buddy.

And to boot, I feel sorry for any eighth grader that would see your maturity level as something to look up to. Your mumble jumble makes utterly no sense but the one vibe I did pickup is that you view yourself to be some enlightened wannabe intellectual. Good for you! You should design bikes and gear for everyone and then explain why and how we should use it. Trust me, everyone will listen.

Jesus, Creaky. I don't know how to ride a bike at all, so I insist that you're angry and need to take a valuum (sic), because I'm angry at you, man, and that means YOU ARE ANGRY. You think I'm not angry? Watch this:

If I want to jumb a fuvking curve on TRgr, I'll jump a fuking curve. But don't fall off the curb at the bus stop, buddy.
    Hah hah hah. 8th grade humor, 8th grade maturity, 8th grade ability to discern reality on the internet. Good job, brobrahbris.

And to boot, I feel sorry for any eighth grader that would see your maturity level as something to look up to. Your mumble jumble makes utterly no sense but the one vibe I did pickup is that you view yourself to be some enlightened wannabe intellectual. Good for you! You should design bikes and gear for everyone and then explain why and how we should use it. Trust me, everyone will listen.
    Impotent rage is so bitchin'! Fume and spew, hothead!

Hah hah hah. 8th grade humor, 8th grade maturity, 8th grade ability to discern reality on the internet. Good job, brobrahbris.

Impotent rage is so bitchin'! Fume and spew, hothead!
    I'm good. I just rode my bike. Did you? You act surprised that your unnecessary and lame attempt to humor yourself at others expense might piss people off. But good job. I learned two things. Yea, I should laugh at myself more and also there are sad lonely tool boxes mixed into this website. Have a nice life and enjoy your internet superiority complex.
    dotswax.com

The best is when some teenage hipster-wannabe thinks he's outsmarting someone by regurgitating some pop psychology pap (like "negative psychology"), and who does this while ironically choosing angry, hotheaded response methods as he continually accuses the other guy of being angry. That's pretty much a pinnacle TGR experience right there. Thanks buddy.

Hey, can you help me here mistah greenjeans? I seem to have missed the memo given everyone announcing that TGR is now Paula's Ski Lovers, where sincere novices at both skiing and online interaction gather to be politely generous with each other's respective truckload of wisdom and boatload of kindness. I didn't realize that could be possible at a forum where the majority of posters use 3 or 4 handles/identities and nobody's being sincere except when sincerely expressing butthurt. Do you have a link to the memo, mister greenjeans?