The best $100 I ever spent on camera gear was...

Other than a nifty 50. I've got a $100 gift card at Amazon and I'm curious what people suggest. Kinda considering a hand strap. Also considering selling all my canon gear and buying the Olympus M. Zuiko 12-40 f2.8 pro lens. Not sure I want to sell my big body yet, but then again, I rarely ever shoot with it, unless I am shooting action (rare these days) or trying to look 'pro', and even then I get more keepers from the Oly. Thoughts?

With $100, I would look at spending the money on filters... grad ND, CPL, ND, etc that you don't currently have for the lenses you use most frequently.

If you don't do filters you could grab a couple cheap flashes and some triggers for a hundo. Off camera lighting FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    If you don't do filters you could grab a couple cheap flashes and some triggers for a hundo. Off camera lighting FTW!
    That was the other thought. Not sure how much I'd use it, but that would be a reason to keep the Canon.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    That was the other thought. Not sure how much I'd use it, but that would be a reason to keep the Canon.
    Honestly, you will probably regret selling the dSLR at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    Honestly, you will probably regret selling the dSLR at some point.
    Eh, the M4/3 EM5 does every thing the DSLR does but smaller, lighter, and easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    The best $100 I ever spent on camera gear was...

Easily this:

http://www.amazon.com/Joby-GP8-BHEN-...illapod+tripod
    it's all young and fun and skiing and then one day you login and it's relationship advice, gomer glacier tours and geezers.

-Hugh Conway

Tripod. Either a travel one like the one linked above or a cheaper full size one. I spent about 60 on mine and it does the trick.

I don't know what your travel set up is like right now, but for something like the EM5, I'd get a wrist strap and a decent mini-tripod.

I have used this wrist strap with a GH2 for the last 2 years. It's cheap and like it a lot. Much more than my neck strap, which I would generally just twist around my wrist anyway.

I use this mini-tripod and find it easier to use than the Gorillapod I also have, though the Gorillapod is better for really uneven stuff (scree, etc). If I had a ballhead for my Gorillapod, it would probably be closer, but this is more compact.

With the little tripod, a standard lens, and a telephoto zoom, I can carry around a pretty versatile kit in a bag the size of a small purse.

With the $80 you still have left, I'd get a macro adapter (assuming you have a telephoto zoom), I'd get a snap on macro converter. I have the Raynox 150 and have been very pleased with it. It's a whole lot of fun trying to get giant photos of spiders/caterpillars/etc. I'd go for the 150 over the higher magnification 250 if you are new to macro photography (as I was). Getting things in focus with the 150 is hard enough.

Usually travel with three/four lenses, the macro adapter, battery charger, extra battery, extra cards, a few filters, the mini-tripod and a lav mike. it all fits comfortably in one of those little hanging shaving kits.

Blackrapid RS-5

get the FR-T1 as well if you use RC2 plates.

Great combo.

Certainly not the best hundo I spent but a good option. It's all in what you want. The Kinotehnik LCDVF is just a touch over your price but I find it indispensable for night landscapes, video and MF lenses.

I personally wouldn't touch filters in that price range. Been there, done that; junk. Also, don't buy screw on filters.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

I love my 12-40, but $100 won't get you very close.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    I love my 12-40, but $100 won't get you very close.
    Clearly, but I'd be selling some stuff that would get me to around $700, I can make up the difference.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, please keep 'em coming.

Best fifty bucks I ever spent was on an F100 right here on tgr.

Lowepro slingshot 200. Can't take photos if you don't have your shit together. It holds everything and then some.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

One pro photog acquaintance of mine swears by these things:

https://peakdesignltd.com/store/capture

He was rocking one on his backpack shoulder strap and one on the hip belt during a spring tour. Seemed like a pretty clean way to have quick access to the cam.

^^^^^ That thing is awesome. Great idea.

I made my own wrist strap from paracord. Just look up how to braid paracord with a clip on it.
    It works really well. The paracord will cost you $5-$6 with all the clips and accessories you want.
    I will get a picture of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Lowepro slingshot 200. Can't take photos if you don't have your shit together. It holds everything and then some.
    I used to have the 302. I like lowepro quality but I would personally shy away from the slingshots. If you fill them (I would usually carry around 5 lenses), they will hurt your shoulder if you have it on all day. And there is no good place for a tripod if you ever carry one. My $.02
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    One pro photog acquaintance of mine swears by these things:

https://peakdesignltd.com/store/capture

He was rocking one on his backpack shoulder strap and one on the hip belt during a spring tour. Seemed like a pretty clean way to have quick access to the cam.
    I love mine on my pack strap. Mostly hate it on my belt though, unless it's just to park the camera while not walking.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    I used to have the 302. I like lowepro quality but I would personally shy away from the slingshots. If you fill them (I would usually carry around 5 lenses), they will hurt your shoulder if you have it on all day. And there is no good place for a tripod if you ever carry one. My $.02
    I could see that. I carry 3 and it's a bit heavy on the shoulder, but I don't normally trade out lenses or carry a tripod. Having kids doesn't lend itself to that kind of thing, and speed of access to pull out the camera and put it away is important with a 1 and 4 year old running around.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

I like this monopod head for $45. I already had a monopod.

I saw that ultrapod thing in a store and thought it was cool.

For the shooting I do those wired intervalometer/timer things are a huge bargain. You can get brand name for about a hundred or the Chinese ones for about twenty.