Icelantic Keeper & Gypsy SKNY

I posted a thread last year on the Icelantic Nomad SKNY and got zero response, after which I was only able to find one demo pair of the 190s within 200 miles of SLC. I never did get to try them, but I am interested in the new Keeper SKNYs (95mm waist, down from the regular 119). The Gypsies SKNYs are 99 waist, down from 125. I am fascinated by the idea of a two ski quiver of the exact same ski (length, camber, flex, and sidecut), with just different waist widths. Anybody been on the Keeper SKNY yet?
    Gravity Junkie

I haven't tried them but I've been looking at the seekers as a daily driver/xxl type charger, curious if anyone has tried those? They are quite cheap online

Yeah, last years Seeker are definitely nicely priced. Thinking the same Geez, not a daily in my hood though. I'm a little surprised there isn't much on here about the Seeker in a 190. Would love to get a full analysis with an idea of what they're like mounted -1 or -2, but it's a greedy ask. Wasup Mud, just following you around both forums like usual.

In response to this post a mag sent me a PM with the name and number of a guy who is sort of a SLC Icelantic rep, but he had not skied the Keeper SKNYs yet, although he did say the regular Keeps are the shit for tele skiing in powder. Icelantic seems to be way off the back this year. Their official web site still has last year's skis on it and has not been updated yet, despite the fact that their new stuff is for sale from various internet outlets. From the info I have seen the SKNY version is about a pound a ski lighter than the regular Keepers, which means they have got to be a lot softer flexing if they have not changed the construction. Hopefully someone will be reviewing the new Keeper SKNY soon. As for deals on last year's Icelantics, which as usual appear to be the same as the new ones except for the topsheets, they are selling them on The Clymb for prices in the high $200s.
    Gravity Junkie

Haven't skied any of the SKNYs but for those asking about the seeker it is a solid charger. I've got a pair of the 180s and based on how they ski I think the 190s would be a fantastic charger for open places with a higher speed limit.

Still have not found a real review or anybody who has actually skied on the Keeper SKNYs or Gypsy SKNYs. Anybody out there tired'm yet?
    Gravity Junkie

OK, one last time, and for the 3rd year in a row. Icelantic has now discontinued the Keeper SKNYs and they can be picked up pretty cheaply. Has anyone out there actually skied on these things?
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    OK, one last time, and for the 3rd year in a row. Icelantic has now discontinued the Keeper SKNYs and they can be picked up pretty cheaply. Has anyone out there actually skied on these things?
    PM Axebiker as he has the Keeper SKNY and is contemplating the Gypsy SKNY

I have both the regular Nomad (105mm) and Keeper (119mm) in the 190+/- length and like them both Tele. PM if you want info on either of these 2
    "Not all who wander are lost"

Yep.i have the Keeper SKNY. I haven't skied the regular width so I can't compare them.

The KS is a fun mid-radius carver. I haven't had it in pow, but it performs very well on MN "packed powder" - ice. No problem keeping an edge. Fairly quick for a ski its size with a decent pilot.

I initially had the 181, but there is a LOT of rocker, and at 6', 190#, I was washing out when putting pressure on them at speed. I was disappointed to say the least. Sold them, and found a great deal on some 191s. I took those out last weekend after a little snowstorm and grooming, and had a BALL. The mount point is a bit forward, but I prefer that. It makes it easy to center up and swivel through bumpy stuff, which I usually don't think of when I'm on 95-waisted 191s. I thought they'd be a handful, but they've become a favorite after one day out - and that's in a ski quiver of 10, including Line Supernaturals and Sick Days.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions.
    Gravity. It's the law.

I should also mention - I had the Nomad RKR SKNY in a 181, which skied super short too. I have a pair in 191 now that I'm waiting to put bindings on, and have some Gypsys on the way for taking on trips out west.

I should also mention I have the Shaman SKNY which underwhelmed me until this year. Icelantic skis like speed - that's where they do their best work. Flex the hell out of them and they really start to shine.

Icelantic makes a GREAT ski, with amazing quality as far as the construction.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Axebiker: I've had the full size Keepers since they came out about 5 years ago, which I really like. My concern with the SKNYs is that they are a pound a ski lighter than the big ones, which means they would be significantly softer if the construction is the same like Icelantic claims on it's web site. I e-mailed them about it, but got no response. If they hold on hard snow and ice they must have some stiffness, but how do they do in the crud and heavy snow? I'm trying to figure out if they lost torisional rigidity when they went SKNY. MF
    Gravity Junkie

You should just get a pair and give them to me to test drive for you.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    You should just get a pair and give them to me to test drive for you.
    Yeah, just what you need, more skis.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    Axebiker: I've had the full size Keepers since they came out about 5 years ago, which I really like. My concern with the SKNYs is that they are a pound a ski lighter than the big ones, which means they would be significantly softer if the construction is the same like Icelantic claims on it's web site. I e-mailed them about it, but got no response. If they hold on hard snow and ice they must have some stiffness, but how do they do in the crud and heavy snow? I'm trying to figure out if they lost torisional rigidity when they went SKNY. MF
    For the price, you aren't really gambling too heavily. We don't really get true crud and mank here in the Midwest - as soon as it falls, the groomers are on it. Torsional rigidity doesn't seem to be an issue- we come in to the bottom pretty hot, and when you put on the brakes, they push back pretty good - not much give/twist to them. Pretty burly. I imagine the tips might deflect a bit, but they are rock-solid under foot.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Thumbs up

Thanks, I appreciate your input.
    Gravity Junkie

Ski.com and Summitonline.com both dropped their price for the 191 Keeper SKNYs to $249 today, and I found an on line coupon for another 5% off for Ski.com. Couldn't resist and pulled the trigger at 73% off the original full boat retail price.
    Last edited by Mudfoot; 02-12-2016 at 09:07 PM.
    Gravity Junkie

Amazing friggen deal!!! Nice score!!!

If anyone is looking for a 95-waisted all-mt ripper, grab a set of these. Compared to my Nomad SKNYs, these are chargers.
    Gravity. It's the law.