Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    [QUOTE]Don't confuse town weather with ski terrain weather. In both locations the heliski ops often fly out of a base other than town. Rain in to 8,000 feet in Juneau (rare but possible) ALWAYS means rain to 8,000 feet in Haines. Both locations will get about 1200 inches of snow in their ski terrain
    /QUOTE]
    Does either place even have runs to 8000'? Want to post a link to your 1200 inches. Juneau maybe but Haines I doubt it.
    I was going to be nice but that 8000' statement is ridiculous.
    off your knees Louie

[QUOTE=BFD;4281574]
    Don't confuse town weather with ski terrain weather. In both locations the heliski ops often fly out of a base other than town. Rain in to 8,000 feet in Juneau (rare but possible) ALWAYS means rain to 8,000 feet in Haines. Both locations will get about 1200 inches of snow in their ski terrain
    /QUOTE]
    Does either place even have runs to 8000'? Want to post a link to your 1200 inches. Juneau maybe but Haines I doubt it.
    I was going to be nice but that 8000' statement is ridiculous.
    Rain at 8000' is pretty common, however there are no mountains for it to land on. I bet if there was a surface at 8000' it would get 1200" because it would snow all year.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

https://www.google.com/maps/@58.7289.../data=!5m1!1e4
    Why try harder than low hanging fruit for folks that are just jealous - Devils Paw is 8584ft

http://www.summitpost.org/juneau-icefield/274855
    "The Juneau Icefield is the 5th largest expanse of ice and snow in the the northern hemisphere. It stretches nearly 150 miles north to south between the cities of Skagway and Juneau, Alaska. The icefield itself is a conglomerate of 34 glaciers. Nearly all originate from the high divide along the Alaska/Canada border. The area receives massive amounts of snowfall every winter (upward of 100ft) and occasional summer snowfall as well. The area offers a considerable amount of mountaineering, ski mountaineering, advanced climbing and expedition level traverses. Many of such adventures could claim first ascents/descents. The highlight of the is be Devil's Paw, which is the highpoint of the Juneau Icefield. This massive extrusion of granite is one of the most prominent features on the icefield and can be viewed from nearly every location on the icefield. Extensive mountaineering and glacial travel skills are strongly recommended for any expedition entering this area."

but also
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...71778758,d.cGU

You showed us. Yes I saw Devil's Paw is over 8000'. Hard to tell if it is in their zones. Out of curiosity is their anything else over 8000' in their area.
    I do not know how you can equate snowfall at 8000' in different climate zones. Juneau is a Cfb while Haines is Dfb basically maritime verse continental.
    off your knees Louie

All it shows is that you guys haven't spent any time in the Juneau zone. The farther inland you go the more continental it gets. In AK 5 miles makes a huge difference, ten is a whole other snowpack - doesn't matter whether you are in Valdez, Haines, Juneau ... Chickaloon maybe not so much.
    You should check it out before you rag on it.
    If you want something that drastically different try skiing the Neacolas ...

Quote Originally Posted by fridgetime View Post
    https://www.google.com/maps/@58.7289.../data=!5m1!1e4
    Why try harder than low hanging fruit for folks that are just jealous - Devils Paw is 8584ft

http://www.summitpost.org/juneau-icefield/274855
    "The Juneau Icefield is the 5th largest expanse of ice and snow in the the northern hemisphere. It stretches nearly 150 miles north to south between the cities of Skagway and Juneau, Alaska. The icefield itself is a conglomerate of 34 glaciers. Nearly all originate from the high divide along the Alaska/Canada border. The area receives massive amounts of snowfall every winter (upward of 100ft) and occasional summer snowfall as well. The area offers a considerable amount of mountaineering, ski mountaineering, advanced climbing and expedition level traverses. Many of such adventures could claim first ascents/descents. The highlight of the is be Devil's Paw, which is the highpoint of the Juneau Icefield. This massive extrusion of granite is one of the most prominent features on the icefield and can be viewed from nearly every location on the icefield. Extensive mountaineering and glacial travel skills are strongly recommended for any expedition entering this area."

but also
    Have you ever seen devils paw? Because I have, a lot. Its not especially skiable. Also outside the permit area. Most of the runs APD likes are 2500-5000' elevation.

The APD permit zone is like 4 different microclimates. Hell Juneau has like 4 different microclimates, downtown gets like 150" of precip a year, and the airport gets like 50 and the end of the road (33 miles from DT) gets like 30 and the top of eaglecrest (on douglas) makes downtown look dry.

Devils Paw is sick, I want to climb it

Glad the OP got his info. from this thread.

Devil's Paw is about 40 miles from town (right at the Canadian border). A heli drop there would be spendy but potentially well worth it, esp. if you plan a multi-day journey from there. The mountains closer to town are under 5000'. Of course, size doesn't matter, or what was it she said?

In AK 5 miles makes a huge difference, ten is a whole other snowpack
    This is how snowpacks work EVERYWHERE.

If you want something that drastically different try skiing the Neacolas ...
    Heard BFD might have been to the Neacolas once, maybe 10 times?

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    Glad the OP got his info. from this thread.

Devil's Paw is about 40 miles from town (right at the Canadian border). A heli drop there would be spendy but potentially well worth it, esp. if you plan a multi-day journey from there. The mountains closer to town are under 5000'. Of course, size doesn't matter, or what was it she said?
    Dude its way cheaper to access it by brapping up lemon creek to access the ice field (seriously is that still a sledneck club idea?)

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Dude its way cheaper to access it by brapping up lemon creek to access the ice field (seriously is that still a sledneck club idea?)
    As far as I know, that proposal is dead or languishing somewhere. I know some folks scouted it out for a year or two, but terrain and snowpack have apparently killed it.

To much dirt work for the local rednecks to pull off

So how is winter shaping up there?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    So how is winter shaping up there?
    Shitty, but it can change pretty quickly.

This report from Juneau, but Haines probably isn't much better.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    You can not just walk out and take a hike on the beach when you are downtown or the airport either.The weather is better in Haines. Funny to get the heli guide spin. I didn't see many tracks up towards the border last season. The blue hole was maybe a little too blue. Anyway I think the way all the cool people do it is rent the RV in Whitehorse.
    This guy has great info. FOR ME TO POOP ON! The weather is way better in Haines, no argument there. Doing the RV thing from Whitehorse would be sweet if you're into touring/snow machining. Juneau is a city by AK standards, not lower 48 standards. It's still a more enjoyable 'city' than the other 2 metro areas of AK, Los Anchorage and Squarebanks.

If you're staying downtown, walking up to Perseverance trail or Mt. Roberts on a decent day will probably be one of the most beautiful, easily accessed hikes you're likely to find, anywhere. Just don't slip and die. The outdoor access in Juneau is unparalleled, but you do need a car to get around town efficiently. That being said, you won't rack up a lot of miles. Everything is 15-20 minutes away from downtown, including the ski area. The aptly named "Sandy Beach" is a lovely walk on Douglas island, about 10 minutes from downtown.

If I were you, I'd stay in Juneau and make a break for Haines when the weather gods favor it. Not much to do in Haines without a snow machine or touring. But this season... this season I'd save my money. Low tide everywhere. .02

edit:
    Yeah dschane, this one is enough to make you go to a therapist. Or take up kiteboarding. This is William's (not Will's) brother, by the way, hiyo.
    Last edited by Horu; 01-12-2015 at 09:27 PM.
    "Nothing like a very, very amorous woman in a leg imobilizer who dozes off every 3 1/2 minutes."
    -Notchtop

Quote Originally Posted by Horu View Post
    This guy has great info. FOR ME TO POOP ON! The weather is way better in Haines, no argument there. Doing the RV thing from whitehorse would be sweet if you're into touring/snow machining. Juneau is a city by AK standards, not lower 48 standards. It's still a more enjoyable 'city' than the other 2 metro areas of AK, Los Anchorage and Squarebanks.

If you're staying downtown, walking up to Perseverance trail or Mt. Roberts on a decent day will probably be one of the most beautiful, easily accessed hikes you're likely to find, anywhere. Just don't slip and die. The outdoor access in Juneau is unparalleled, but you do need a car to get around town efficiently. That being said, you won't rack up a lot of miles, everything is 15-20 minutes away from downtown (including the ski area). The aptly named "Sandy Beach" is a lovely walk on Douglas island, about 10 minutes from downtown.

If I were you, I'd stay in Juneau and make a break for Haines when the weather gods favor it. Not much to do in Haines without a snow machine or touring. But this season... this season I'd save my money. Low tide everywhere. .02
    ^This is all good advice.

I love the town of Haines but if I was waiting out weather there without a vehicle for any amount of time I might just go crazy.

Horu what is exactly wrong with my advice? I just spent the last two months in Haines with a visit to Juneau for a few days. Yea I hiked Perseverance trail in the rain. I got a dozen days in Haines already all but one in good conditions. My personal preference is I like the small town over Juneau.
    As for the Whitehorse advice it maybe cheaper to fly into there rather than Juneau. A quick check on Priceline shows $400 cheaper. That is from Berlin to Whitehorse. I think the OP could be a Euro.
    Last edited by BFD; 01-13-2015 at 01:00 AM.
    off your knees Louie

Wow, that forecast is depressing! But surely all the rain will come as snow up in the mountain? Or?

Horu what is exactly wrong with my advice? I just spent the last two months in Haines with a visit to Juneau for a few days. Yea I hiked Perseverance trail in the rain. I got a dozen days in Haines already all but one in good conditions. My personal preference is I like the small town over Juneau.
    Sounds about right, the weather is typically better in Haines. I'm glad you guys are getting a season up there.

Juneau is a city with no real benefits of a city. Lodging sucks the town is spread out. You can not just walk out and take a hike on the beach when you are downtown or the airport either. So that leaves a few dive bars that would get pretty old after two weks.
    Your city statement was basically comparing apples to oranges. You can't compare Juneau to a much larger city in the lower 48. Relative to the other cities in the state, we're doing fine. The closest beach to downtown is probably Sheep Creek, about 5 miles south. However, the Perseverance/Mt. Roberts trails give you access to miles of spectacular ridgeline loop hiking. You were right, it just wasn't the whole picture. You were wrong about the airport though, one of the most popular dog walking trails in town is right there, and one has the option to wander far out into the wetlands.

You are totally right about Haines. The weather is better, and if you're more into the small town scene it's definitely a better choice. No lift to ride there, though, if that's part of the equation. Flying to Whitehorse might be a great strategy too, I've had great times there and there's a lift.

If you come to Juneau, you'll probably need transportation as well, but there is a ski area that is a real gem when the conditions are decent. Somebody claimed it as 'best ski area in AK' earlier in the thread, I'll second that. Alyeska has more outrageous gated terrain, but inside is meh.
    "Nothing like a very, very amorous woman in a leg imobilizer who dozes off every 3 1/2 minutes."
    -Notchtop

I wasn't comparing Juneau to anything other than maybe haines. My point was you have traffic and trash things that come with populations. Also if the weather is good enough to hike the ridges this guy will want to be flying. As for the airport I have walked that trail too many times laying over in Juneau staying in some shit hole by the airport. I am glad you like Juneau the icefield has some great looking rock and those were impressive routes in the 2013 AAJ. OP go to Juneau my advice and opinions are wrong. Juneau is the place. I did buy some huge shrimp in the harbor and some quality bagels at the Silverbow. Maybe Juneau was worth a short visit.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebird View Post
    Shitty
    Yep. This is a sad winter in SE.

Quote Originally Posted by dschane View Post
    Yes, same person, and sweet video. Nicely done.

That's the clear advantage to heading to Juneau. If there are no fly days, you can ride at Eaglecrest and/or hike around it.

Impossible to say. Southeast Alaska sits in a temperate rain forest. In the winter, you could catch a cold snap of 10 bluebird days where the snowpack is excellent every day. Or, you could catch miserable 40 degree rain. Or, more likely, you'd get a mix of something in between.

If I had the budget for 7 days of heli skiing and 2 weeks of vacation time, I'd fly to Juneau and if the weather is sweet, I'd sample AK Powder Descent's goods and let the weather guide the next choices (still good, go to Haines; if it turns sour and no one is flying, check out Eaglecrest or climb for turns). If you arrive in mediocre conditions, reverse that. However you slice it, you have to fly in and out of Juneau. No large jets fly to Haines, so you either ride a prop plane or ferry there.

As for lodging, the Juneau Hostel is cheap and downtown (not sure if it's open in the winter and they have a 5-day max stay). After that, I'd check out VRBO options or the Silverbow Inn (above the bagel shop). The other downtown option is the Baranof Hotel (probably too spendy, but I think the winter rates are under $100). If you like late nights, check out the Alaskan Hotel (next to the bar of the same name). If you want cheap over location, the motels by the airport are probably fine. But you'll enjoy your visit more if you're downtown. I've only pitched a tent in Haines, so I don't have anything to offer there.
    Boom. Tell Peter, Andy and Ray I'm sold. Will gather crew und repraznet

And I thought last winter was going to be the worst winter in history. This winter is even worse. There has been basically one snowfall of note. Also its raining a lot.

Good year to have surgery I suppose

same story in the Alps. So far.

Quote Originally Posted by yugi View Post
    same story in the Alps. So far.
    Not much better in the PNW...