Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Freeway merge vigilantes WTF?!

What the hell is up with these idiots that insist on keeping drivers from using an open lane miles before a freeway lane closure. They'll swerve and try and block the lane or almost run you off the road for using a perfectly legal open travel lane. Instead I guess everyone is supposed to just queue up and inch along 10 miles from the closure because they find using both lanes morally offensive? I don't think I'm some sort of special flower who has to be everywhere faster than anyone else but traffic is not a morality play on four wheels where you get to decide what's righteous and fair road warrior style. It's not my fault you decided to merge way too early.

If we all just took turns merging where the road is actually restricted and didn't get butt hurt about who got through first it would be safer and more efficient. The merge vigilante seems to be a new phenomenon around here (they're usually old men in late model Chevy sedans and RV drivers who I suspect are also Tea Party types). Someone needs to set these people straight what the rules and laws are. I just had the pleasure of driving around Germany for a week and they merged late and alternated without any vehicular tantrums fucking things up. Don't even get me started about the stay left except to pass thing, but I feel like I need a Xanax to deal with clueless American drivers anymore.

I think your political classification is misguided. These merge-nazis are concerned about fairness and controlling what the other guy does. It's not fair that you pass them by when they wait in line like an idiot.

I'm no teabagger, but these tools just sound like busybodies obsessed with controlling everyone else's behavior. Not sure if that and whining about fairness makes them anythin other than just that.

But yeah, they suck. Or not and it's all about their political viewpoint. Either way, watch out for the real asshole who will throw his door open as you try and pass.
    I still call it The Jake.

Wrong. It's social order. The more efficient operation is merging where traffic is moving. Congestion slows traffic and reduces overall volume. This is well-modeled and empirical. Notice how fast traffic is moving once you're past the merging?

But really, it's people double-cheating, slowing everyone down, and cutting in front of those waiting their turn.

Self-policing is the key to these kinds of public access issues. Look into congestion pricing, and more generally Ostrom, nobel in Econ.

Dedicated lane police nazi here.

Is the OP exaggerating about the nazis 10 MILES!? from the lane ending? Most folks probably don't pay enough attention to notice that far out. I could see a couple of miles but 10?

People tailgating who refuse to leave space for merging traffic and the generally incredible inability to take turns at anything, anywhere, are the primary factors that cause this. There is a merge here in SLC that I drive daily, and I would say 4/5 times a week, I have someone match speeds to drive directly alongside me until it chokes to one lane, regardless of how I might vary my speed to try to get some space between us. Usually it's irrelevant because the same behavior has already happened a dozen times over, despite this being a lengthy, straightforward merge where it would be incredibly easy to alternate.

I don't care if you have some irrational need to be first, but just fucking pass me then, don't drive alongside me, forcing traffic to come to a stop at the choke, right before an uphill, left lane merge. Fuck, I hate Utah drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by markb View Post
    Wrong. It's social order. The more efficient operation is merging where traffic is moving. Congestion slows traffic and reduces overall volume. This is well-modeled and empirical. Notice how fast traffic is moving once you're past the merging?

But really, it's people double-cheating, slowing everyone down, and cutting in front of those waiting their turn.

Self-policing is the key to these kinds of public access issues. Look into congestion pricing, and more generally Ostrom, nobel in Econ.

This. Hey, if the merge is a 1/4 mile away then people merged to early. But most of the reptilian fucks that do this just watched 30 cars do the every other car merge and then they think since there's still two car links left, they have the right to fly past a few cars and cut right in. Fuck you. I'm the asshole straddling the lane blocking you. If you got a problem with that, check the spare!

This reminds me.

I'm really not looking forward to the I-90 shut down to 1 lane westbound thing next week....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by markb View Post

You're an idiot. Zipper at the point of merge is the most efficient use of travel lanes. It's self-righteous fucktards like you that cause half the problems. I bet you drive the posted limit -or a safe couple mph less, wouldn't want to be dangerous, would we now- in the left lane. Fuck off.

THATS MY LANE! I HAVE EVERY RIGHT TO DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT IN MY LANE! YOURE THE ONE BREAKING THE LAW!!!

#juniorcop

I'm sticking by my political classification. The Tea Folk seem very interested in enforcing perceived fairness at the expense of what is practical or compassionate. Much of their anger is based around making sure that others don't get what they see as unearned benefits (ie. welfare, healthcare) at their expense regardless of what might be best for the whole of society. Seems like it fits pretty well into the merge police point of view. Topic for another thread though.

Aaron, yes I'm exaggerating about 10 miles to illustrate this behavior taken to an extreme. I have seen 3 or 4 miles though.

Sorry markb, you're just wrong about the physics involved here. Traffic speed is governed by density (vehicle size and following distance requirements). Unless traffic is light enough that the carrying capacity of one lane is adequate to maintain full traffic flow then merging earlier only causes the through lane to exceed capacity earlier than it potentially could. My point isn't that I should just fly by all the traffic and cut in at the last minute, it's that MORE people should use the ending lane until the merge. In fact 1/2 the cars should use the ending lane until the merge which will shorten the actual length of the backup. This is the most fair, least arbitrary and most efficient method as studied by traffic engineers. The problem is that misinformed people like you have decided that the best solution is either wrong or a moral outrage. Enforcement actions by aggressive driving by the general public like yourself is illegal, chaotic and dangerous. You are right about congestion pricing, but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about efficient fair use of roadway space.

markb is a fucking numbnuts.

so is Gibo, wtf? Merge at the merge, you cunt.

Although I agree that trying to get a couple more cars ahead once the cones have started is aggro bs.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Zipper
    Not 501s?....

self-righteous
    You betcha...

Traffic Karma.... for the past couple of weeks there's been a guy driving a beautiful mid 60s Vette blatantly poaching the I-90-Mercer Island-Lake Washington HOV lanes in morning rush hour seen him a bunch of times it must be his daily routine. Normally it's included a last minute lane change from right hand lanes crossing double whites into said HOV lane before it divides into entirely separate piece of highway the end of which finishes at a stop light intersection in SODO/Stadiumzone.

This morning I saw him again... he ended up a couple of cars behind me as I pulled up to the stoplight where a motorcycled member of Seattle's finest jay walk punchers was sitting collecting easy traffic tickets.

Wound the window down and mentioned to the cop that Vette guy had been doing this on daily basis,,, Cop smiles and says, "Ok thanks, You know I love those older Vettes. I'm going to enjoy giving him a ticket... really slowly"

so is Gibo, wtf? Merge at the merge, you cunt.
    ^ This. Why is it so hard to understand?

Quote Originally Posted by nexus6 View Post
    I'm sticking by my political classification. The Tea Folk seem very interested in enforcing perceived fairness
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Wound the window down and mentioned to the cop that Vette guy had been doing this on daily basis,,, Cop smiles and says, "Ok thanks, You know I love those older Vettes. I'm going to enjoy giving him a ticket... really slowly"
    I think it's fair to say that PNW is no tea partier, but wow if this doesn't cry, "It's not FAIR he gets to use the HOV lane!", I don't know what does. You guys should huddle up and nail down that political classification thing - so we can all get on the same page, ya know. Much easier to stereotype then. But you're right, it should be in another thread.

PNW, really? Come on man, you're no better than the merge-nazis. The guy will get his ticket or karma will get him in the end with or without your tattletaling.

50 year old tattletales? Eeesh.

Sounds like fodder for 4ply's thread.

Whining to the cops. Sorry, whinging.

wtf

If one of these soon to end lanes happens to be in Canada, do they call it the dirty line?

What I do is right, and what everyone else does is wrong, goddammit.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    what everyone else does is wrong
    Only if what they do coincides with iceman or Bmillskis views on the subject?

Apparently.

Sorry Brit, it's not your turn to speak, queue up.

Sorry Brit, it's not your turn to speak, queue up.
    But I mentioned you and Bmills.

So I got to use the HOV lanes.

Talking of which... children shouldn't count. In fact only passengers with drivers licences should be eligible.

Wow, you're a cunt.

But I mentioned you and Bmills.

So I got to use the HOV lanes.
    When I find myself in a hole, I stop digging.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    watch out for the real asshole who will throw his door open as you try and pass.
    Let 'em, they will be the one at fault.

Talking of which... children shouldn't count. In fact only passengers with drivers licences should be eligible.
    I've always felt this way too but then I suppose it's a slippery slope. Does that mean if you are driving Grandma who is too old to drive or your blind cousin who can't see to drive disqualify you as a carpool too? Seems like you have to go by the number of bodies or it just gets too messy.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Unless you're in a state with no-fault auto insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I've always wondered about that. I figured that it would be your fault if you're driving on the shoulder, or if you're in the open lane and they try it, your fault again since you failed to stop in an assured clear distance.

Either way, I like the front of my car the way it is and will keep an eye out.