Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    I saw this as well, and have since had a back-and-forth with a well-know TGR gear aficionado regarding how safe and useful this would be. IMO I think it has the potential to be practical particularly on days when the need for crampons is marginal or speculative at best, or you just need a little extra front-point purchase climbing up the end of a couloir or run (I.E., icy top of left gully at Mt. Washington for east coast mags). Also, they don't take up much space in your bag, which even more than weight is my issue with lugging crampons around (it looks like they even fit between ski crampons!). They're steel, which means you can use them on ice. Also, I bet you can sort of awkwardly walk around on rocky topouts with them still attached to your feet more easily than a standard crampon (I always found that to be a pain in the ass). So for these reasons I think I'm gonna give them a try.

The cons are clear- only two points of contact, can lead you to a false sense of security on frontpoint and then you sit back, lack of record of use in the field, etc... but I still think that for days when you *might* need crampons for a bit but aren't sure, they have a place. Also, they look like they could be a pain to put on or require carrying a separate tool. I guess the competition is Race 290 crampon, or CAMP Aluminum offerings, but IMO those are different tools for different purposes. Curious what others think of this as well.

^ pretty much exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I actually just talked myself into buying them... so we'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    I actually just talked myself into buying them... so we'll see!
    I didn't succeed in talking you out of them?

They would be enticing were it not for these:
    http://skimo.co/camp-race-290-crampons

Otherwise, the weight and size advantages are trivial, yet the potentially useful and safe applications are limited.
    (Your Left Gully example is perfect ... but lots of other places even on that same mtn where they'd be really sketchy.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    I didn't succeed in talking you out of them?

They would be enticing were it not for these:
    http://skimo.co/camp-race-290-crampons

Otherwise, the weight and size advantages are trivial, yet the potentially useful and safe applications are limited.
    (Your Left Gully example is perfect ... but lots of other places even on that same mtn where they'd be really sketchy.)
    I completely agree with everything you said... but wanted to try them anyway! What's the point of TGR if not for encouraging experimentation with new and potentially superfluous gear?

but lots of other places even on that same mtn where they'd be really sketchy.)
    I don't think anyone is suggesting they're a crampon quiver of one solution?

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I don't think anyone is suggesting they're a crampon quiver of one solution?
    Agreed.

But even if I owned both those and the CAMP Race 290, I'm not sure if I would ever bring the former instead of the latter.

Steel vs. aluminum and easier to put on your boot mid-slope are two potential advantages I can see for the Tech Crampon in certain situations.

The video doesn't seem to show it as easier to affix -- even with the redesign so that the separate allen wrench is no longer necessary, having to rotate some little knob ... which might be iced over from a prior ascent ... with fingers that might be cold and number.

The steel certainly will provide more bite, but still, that's only for four points on each foot.
    If I needed more bite than the Race 290, then instead of that new front-point only crampon, I'd much rather bring the extra weight for the CAMP alu model with the steel inserts:
    http://skimo.co/camp-xlc-nanotech-crampons

Oooh now we are talking crampon quivers. Guess I will need to go back one page and see what it is about. I really enjoyed the Grivel Haute Route ski crampons last year. Better than my old strap steel Camps and my step in aluminum ones I had before.

Edit went back and looked. My concerns would be the same as Jonathan's, but that is just speculative guessing. They also would not allow for varied foot placement on longish climbs.

Let us know how they work out in real conditions.

It seems a neat, niche idea for use as intended/described.

But what does Volken know...

The video doesn't seem to show it as easier to affix -- even with the redesign so that the separate allen wrench is no longer necessary, having to rotate some little knob ... which might be iced over from a prior ascent ... with fingers that might be cold and number.

The steel certainly will provide more bite, but still, that's only for four points on each foot.
    If I needed more bite than the Race 290, then instead of that new front-point only crampon, I'd much rather bring the extra weight for the CAMP alu model with the steel inserts:
    http://skimo.co/camp-xlc-nanotech-crampons
    Easier to put on in that you only need to access one end of the boot. Yeah, the knob could be challenging if it froze up. Not generally a problem where I am, as avy conditions usually keep us away from anything requiring crampons until late spring when temps are usually warm enough that stuff freezing up isn't a huge issue.

I didn't mean steel as an advantage for more purchase; I doubt that design would be more secure than an aluminum crampon. I meant steel as an advantage for climbing on rock. Aluminum gets torn up pretty fast on rock in my experience. I've definitely hauled my steel Sabretooths a couple times because I knew there would be a bit of mixed climbing involved, even though all the snow climbing would have been fine for aluminum (or probably these).

Agree that if you're needing more climbing security on hard snow/ice then the Camp that you linked or a real steel crampon is the way to go.

I don't know that I'll buy these, but it's an interesting idea and I can see their use, specific as it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    [...]I really enjoyed the Grivel Haute Route ski crampons last year.[...]
    Yes, that hybrid approach does look useful!
    Another model that is kind of a step up (pun intended?) from alu is the CAMP Tour Nanotech:
    http://www.camp-usa.com/products/cra...notech-367.asp
    http://www.backcountry.com/camp-usa-...notech-crampon
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...otech-Crampons

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    But what does Volken know...
    His endorsement is pretty much the only factor keeping me from dismissing these entirely -- although the recent attention to celebrity skier endorsements of ski gear has been greatly amusing, an endorsement from someone with his skills and respect is something else entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Easier to put on in that you only need to access one end of the boot. Yeah, the knob could be challenging if it froze up. Not generally a problem where I am, as avy conditions usually keep us away from anything requiring crampons until late spring when temps are usually warm enough that stuff freezing up isn't a huge issue.
    I often experienced crampon freezing this past season: I would affix crampons to ascend an at-treeline couloir in sorta softish sun-warmed snow, then once I started skinning again above treeline I would hang my crampons from a BC Ice Clipper in an attempt to melt off the slushy stuff before stuffing them in my pack (Dynafit Broak Peak "safety box") but each time the slushy stuff had instead frozen solid in the colder air temps.
    Wasn't an issue with my Race 290 crampons (well, except for lugging around that entire extra ounce or so of ice), but I'm thinking that in those kinds of conditions, that little knob might be hard to loosen and then retighten?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I didn't mean steel as an advantage for more purchase; I doubt that design would be more secure than an aluminum crampon. I meant steel as an advantage for climbing on rock. Aluminum gets torn up pretty fast on rock in my experience.[...]
    Yes, although I've gingerly stepped on rock a bit with my alu crampons, any sort of serious climbing on rock dulls them very quickly (and is rumored to even break them, but I haven't ever seen any examples of that).

Dalbello Panterra 120: Able to slip in/attach shims in the soles?

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    Anything new in the slackcountry touring binding category this year?? Or same duke/guardian options??
    Dynafit introducing a cast iron Beast-master-plus coming in at just under 15 pounds a set, din locked at 17 and affordable price.

Salomon is rumored to have prototype SX-92t boots at a secret Southern Hemisphere testing zone, the first rear/mid entry budget tech boot.

I keed.

The Marker tech binding will be unveiled in a few days time according to this: http://www.friflyt.no/Ski/Markers-topp-secret

They´re saying it´ll be approved for a different ISO-standard than other tech-based bindings, but other than that, not much is known.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    The Marker tech binding will be unveiled in a few days time according to this: http://www.friflyt.no/Ski/Markers-topp-secret
    That'd be sweet. Trying to decide whether to go all in on the CAST system or wait until the supposed Holy Grail arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    That'd be sweet. Trying to decide whether to go all in on the CAST system or wait until the supposed Holy Grail arrives.
    I'm expecting something that competes in the same market as the Beast. Interesting, but probably still a year out from shops, and at least another year to work out the wrinkles?
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

That timeline seems about right. I forgot to factor the 1st year trial period. I won't be guinea pigging this one, so CAST is looking more and more compelling.

Patagucci's releasing a backcountry specific clothing and pack range. http://www.snowsports.org/SuppliersS...contentid/2794
    After the delamination issues withthe Knifeblade, I'm hoping they've found a way to make Powershield Pro acceptably durable.

2015-2016 Gear Rumors

Buddy was in a local boot shop not too long ago, and a bunch of frenchies from Salomon were huddled around a boot, hiding it from him, while talking to the shop owner. Designed to compete with TLT6 class boots is the best I've got. Supposed to be pretty amazing. I'd be surprised if a Salomon tech binding didn't come out at the same time. Probably being field tested this season. Europe mags keep your eyes peeled.

I've read some more about those boots somewhere, not much though.. Atomic also comes with a similar line, maybe a bit more freeride than touring if I remember correct.
    The Salomon team had several test sessions with their athletes, not only recently. What surprised me is they did slip things about the boots but zero about their tech binding. Pretty shure they are testing it for a while now, but only during those test sessions. For filming trips etc they all ride Dynafits.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Buddy was in a local boot shop not too long ago, and a bunch of frenchies from Salomon were huddled around a boot, hiding it from him, while talking to the shop owner. Designed to compete with TLT6 class boots is the best I've got. Supposed to be pretty amazing. I'd be surprised if a Salomon tech binding didn't come out at the same time. Probably being field tested this season. Europe mags keep your eyes peeled.
    Boot is really cool. Great walk mode. I don't have any photos or hard data on it. I think info on it should start to surface in a bit. Binding will be out further down the road.

Have a pair of the atomic touring boots on the way...they look pretty rad but certainly more of a Maestrale RS/Vulcan competitor...

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    Have a pair of the atomic touring boots on the way...they look pretty rad but certainly more of a Maestrale RS/Vulcan competitor...
    Any info on approx weight?