Page 26 of 34 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Digging the Tallac
    Yeah...I still think I'd do a 184 steeple 102 first. Weight penalty is minimal (7.9 vs 8.0 lbs) so 45 grams for the pair. Don't know if the lighter moment layup will have the same deflection issues in variable snow that the on3p tour layup line does...

But still, for touring? Both look good. I would on3p.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Some thoughts after seeing things today.

I called out moment on the "semi cap" bibby too soon. The "cap" is very very minimal. They should have just said "we're bringing back the OG bibby." The so called cap is tiny and absolutely will not affect ski performance.

The changes to the billy goat are also miniscule and i doubt they will significantly change how they ski.

ON3P Jessie line looks great. Core is planed thicker than tour layup but thinner than standard men's skis. They are not noodles by any means. Stoked for my GF to try them.

Salomon mtn lab has a cavernous heel.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Some thoughts after seeing things today.

I called out moment on the "semi cap" bibby too soon. The "cap" is very very minimal. They should have just said "we're bringing back the OG bibby." The so called cap is tiny and absolutely will not affect ski performance.

The changes to the billy goat are also miniscule and i doubt they will significantly change how they ski.

ON3P Jessie line looks great. Core is planed thicker than tour layup but thinner than standard men's skis. They are not noodles by any means. Stoked for my GF to try them.

Salomon mtn lab has a cavernous heel.

it probably like the renegade where the cap is only couple of MM of overhang to prevent chipping.

Personally I wish more companies would do the semi cap thing to prevent top sheet chipping. I don't see why it would affect performance in any way, positive or negative.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Personally I wish more companies would do the semi cap thing to prevent top sheet chipping.
    Atomic, Salomon, Armada (OK, made by Atomic), K2, Dynafit, etc. all do it. Cap construction is more resource-intensive (requires pre$$ure on the sides as well as top-bottom) than sandwich, which is one reason most of the indy brands don't use it.

Anyone have info if scarpa freedom sl will be updated for next year?

Thx

@wrong but agree it gets around people skiing on their skis instead of snow
    Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Atomic, Salomon, Armada (OK, made by Atomic), K2, Dynafit, etc. all do it. Cap construction is more resource-intensive (requires pre$$ure on the sides as well as top-bottom) than sandwich, which is one reason most of the indy brands don't use it.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by çayzi View Post
    Anyone have info if scarpa freedom sl will be updated for next year?

Thx
    Freedom RS = stiffer

Fuck me if I'm wrong, but i thought that the pressure for a cap construction could be achieved via vacuum and can be performed by home ski builders.

Quote Originally Posted by verbier61 View Post
    Freedom RS = stiffer
    I know about that. I was more interested in current Freedom SL.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Fuck me if I'm wrong, but i thought that the pressure for a cap construction could be achieved via vacuum and can be performed by home ski builders.
    You could be right, my friends at skibuilders.com used to tell me otherwise but it's been a few years.

You could be right, my friends at skibuilders.com used to tell me otherwise but it's been a few years.
    http://skibuilders.com/phpBB2/viewto...15d6c91ae5bb7d

There you have it. As I recall, Kam has a CNC machine that does cores, so he probably has been able to adapt it to to top molds. At any rate, he's a mechanical engineering prof with lots of resources at his disposal.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Maybe they finally figured out that sometimes people want to attach skins to their skis.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    You can't get nearly the same pressure from a vaccuum as you can from a press. The type of layup doesn't change in a bag, it's just a lot cheaper and easier to build that way, which is why it's popular with homebuilders.

Semi-cap, wood-core skis can be made on the same press a sandwich construction ski is, just with a different top mold. I think it's the same for full-cap skis as long as they have a wood core. Foam skis are generally injection molded I think, but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    You can't get nearly the same pressure from a vaccuum as you can from a press. The type of layup doesn't change in a bag, it's just a lot cheaper and easier to build that way, which is why it's popular with homebuilders.

Semi-cap, wood-core skis can be made on the same press a sandwich construction ski is, just with a different top mold. I think it's the same for full-cap skis as long as they have a wood core. Foam skis are generally injection molded I think, but I could be wrong.
    Isn't that why the larger companies autoclave the skis. Or am I just making things up and confused?

Has this pic been posted? Saw it on insta

No, but there's a video in this thread that shows the atomic binding, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    No, but there's a video in this thread that shows the atomic binding, I believe.
    Cool. Thanks.

Anyone check out the new lange xt?
    Ski mag claims increased range of motion and better lock mechanism
    Next-gen Ski/Hike System 2.0 with Power V-Lock: a new metal-on-metal locking mechanism for enhanced skiability; wider V-Lock for increased hiking range-of-motion and maximum mobility in "hike mode"; WTR rocker sole compatibility; lightweight shell and liner

http://http://www.skinet.com/ski/galleries/skis-showstopper-gear-sia-2016?i=55597668&s=19
    Last edited by dcpnz; 02-03-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Isn't that why the larger companies autoclave the skis. Or am I just making things up and confused?
    Yeah, I guess I don't know exactly. I've heard about the big European factories, and they didn't sound a lot different than the Whiteroom at 4FRNT, ON3P, Moment, etc, where they run a single press. They were just at a much bigger scale with fancier CNC toys. I think they sometimes do pre-preg the resin into the fiberglass for easier lay-up which I bet would use an autoclave or something similar.

I'm sure I don't have all the facts, and I'm also sure different manufacturers and different skis require different techniques, so I'm open to be proven wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    Yeah, I guess I don't know exactly. I've heard about the big European factories, and they didn't sound a lot different than the Whiteroom at 4FRNT, ON3P, Moment, etc, where they run a single press. They were just at a much bigger scale with fancier CNC toys. I think they sometimes do pre-preg the resin into the fiberglass for easier lay-up which I bet would use an autoclave or something similar.

I'm sure I don't have all the facts, and I'm also sure different manufacturers and different skis require different techniques, so I'm open to be proven wrong.
    Yeah they're not even close.

Millions of dollars of finishing equipment would be one of the biggest differences. As well as just about everything else.

Yeah, those big Euro factories are a whole different beast. A bunch of robotics, etc. Nordica / Tecnica for example...

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Yeah they're not even close.

Millions of dollars of finishing equipment would be one of the biggest differences. As well as just about everything else.
    Yeah, I guess I meant the process - press vs. vaccuum, etc. Obviously they are extremely automated factories which the smaller shops are not.

Presses and molds are quite different as well.