Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

PSA: Down Skis presale

http://www.downskis.com/

Cheap, if you're in Europe.

They matched their Euro shipping prices for me last year.

Were great to do business with. Fixed a genuine error by offering me several options that would have left them out of pocket.

They make nice skis too.

I must not look at return buyers !0% off sale prices.... I really don't need new skis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Amazing skis. Really well built, good base material, durability and flexes. I wish I could justify a pair this year, but will probably do one next year. I spent the late season touring on the 102. Really awesome ski for a do it all from frozen stastrugi to deathcrust to grabby windslab to 2' of fresh. Doesn't ski like a light ski at all. Reminds me of PM Gear hybrids. It can really haul ass, even in nasty stuff. I should probably post a review this weekend with this presale going on. Really really want to try a Showdown 115 and the 102L. Next year, I guess.

Here's a review of the 115's predecessor:
    http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...kis-coundown-3

Not affilliated, just really love these skis! (along with ON3P and PM Gear)

I've got a pair of 13/14 CDC3's & the Blister review is spot on. The 13/14's are a bit lighter with mine weighing in at 2137 & 2138g in the flat. The similarity in feel to the PM Gear hybrids as described above is also spot on with the 3's being very Llasa'ish.

The 102L sure looks interesting for a western touring ski.

I have had many ski du jour lusts over the years. Ahh like all the others these are destined to go unrequited.

Anybody know what the CD102 measures? According to the blister review, the 190 CD3 (now SD115) measured 187.7, but that model was a few years ago. Wonder if the 179 measures closer to 176? It's really too bad the CD102 isn't a 185...or 10 mm narrower. 17X is just a little short for anything but a spring/summer touring ski for me, and 102 is just a touch wide for that spot in my quiver.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

My 13/14 CDC3 190's measure 190cm tip to tail, straight pull.

All lengths should now be straight tip-to-tail pull, so the CD102 should be a true 179...

Quote Originally Posted by selle View Post
    All lengths should now be straight tip-to-tail pull, so the CD102 should be a true 179...
    thats how it is. leghts were a bit confusing in the past seasons, but now you get what you see on the webpage

freak~[&]

I emailed Gregor about selling to the US - he said that if there are 10 pairs sold here, he'll pick up the shipping. I don't think I'll be able to swing it, unfortunately, but FYI for any 'mericans interested.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Anybody know what the CD102 measures? According to the blister review, the 190 CD3 (now SD115) measured 187.7, but that model was a few years ago. Wonder if the 179 measures closer to 176? It's really too bad the CD102 isn't a 185...or 10 mm narrower. 17X is just a little short for anything but a spring/summer touring ski for me, and 102 is just a touch wide for that spot in my quiver.
    The stiffness of this ski shouldn't be ignored. It definitely skis longer than a 179. Its been a while since I've been on a long 10Xmm ski, but it floated really well on a couple different 2' overnight days (one super fluffy, one pretty dense). I would have no qualms about taking it up a peak on deep days. I found that we had a lot of funky snow this spring, and the 102 was awesome in all of it. Very predictable. For me, its an ideal spring/summer ski objective ski, perfect when paired with something like your Lhasa Fat for midwinter tours (carbon Kusala for myself). Honestly, you should definitely pull the trigger. Sounds like the 179 is a true 179. My 180 from a couple years ago measured 178.

I can confirm that we've changed our measurement convention from measuring material length to doing a straight tip-tail pull.

I'll also add that there are some group buy options to the US in the works, but that'll be up to the guys responsible if they want to post up here.

Stoked for the season, thanks for the support and Lindahl, looking forward to that review! ;-)
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Any more details/info on a 'Merican group buy?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I´ll bump this with some spam since we´re at the halfway point of the presale...

As you´ve seen, we´ve reshuffled the lineup from last year, making it easier to understand by splitting the skis into three different lines.

We have of course made a lot of small improvements, improved finishing, new topsheets, top edge bevels, step-down sidewalls, tail inserts, non-crimp triax carbon, but I´ll outline the lineup with some details below. Details on construction can be found here.

The Countdown-series is our freeride/touring line, with modified rocker lines from last year, making the skis even more versatile. All skis in the Countdown series have our lightest glass/carbon fiber combo and ash/poplar cores, exepting the 102L which has a paulownia core.

Countdown 102L is an extra lightweight version of the 102 (formerly CD4), making it our premier touring and mountaineering ski. The shaping is the same as the 102 and likely the only truly lightweight ski on the market using a "full-on", big-mountain shaping concept and having a 41m radius.
    Countdown 102 is the same as last years CD4, but with a new rocker profile (slight camber underfoot, higher tip) and a slightly softer flex with a new tail insert.
    Countdown 107 is the CD6 from last year, but with a slightly higher tip, camber underfoot and a tail insert for skin attachments and protection from chafing.
    Countdown 110 is the shape of the CD7 in the Countdown construction and rocker profile. The shortest turning radius of the series and with a slightly softer flex, this is the most playful member of the Countdown series.
    Countdown 114 is the CD2, with slight camber and a slightly higher tip rocker, improved layup and finishing and a new tail insert. The 114 waisted ski has been a favorite among the down crew as a true one-ski-quiver since it´s first version, and this is the best yet.

The Throwdown series is our freestyle line of skis, with the most playful rocker profiles, more symmetrical flex patterns and full twintips. The skis in the Throwdown series have a damper layup than the Countdown skis, making them more forgiving when landing tricks.

Throwdown 110 is the CD7 reborn, with a more symmetrical and more playful rocker profile and increased pop thanks to some more camber underfoot. If playful skiing all over the mountain is your thing, seriously consider the 110.
    Throwdown 124 is the CD0 from last year in a freestyle version. Solid amounts of rocker in the tip and tail, slight camber underfoot and a medium flex. Playful big mountain best sums up this ski.

The Showdown series is our most serious line of skis, with damper (but still lightweight) layups and a full-on, big mountain rocker profile.

Showdown 115 is the CD3 from last year in an improved package. Built for going fast, the skis still have the balanced flexpattern that lets you bang out shorter radius turns in the trees.

We are looking at adding more models at a later date, but that is still to be decided.

I´ll hear with the guys running the group buy if they´ll want to post in here for you ´mericans.

Let me know if you have any questions, and let me remind you that the number of skis in the presale is limited and that we may run out of some models before the presale ends...

Winter is coming!

Quote Originally Posted by SiSt View Post
    Countdown 102 is the same as last years CD4, but with a new rocker profile (slight camber underfoot, higher tip) and a slightly softer flex with a new tail insert.
    Hmmm...tell me more. I'm digging the slight camber underfoot; not sure what to think about the higher tip and softer flex. Seems like you're trying to make it better in pow. Can you give me an idea of how these changes affect performance on firm steeps? I was excited about Lindahl's description of the stiff flex and pictures of the gradual tip rocker (obviously combined with the long turn radius and overall shape).

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Hmmm...tell me more. I'm digging the slight camber underfoot; not sure what to think about the higher tip and softer flex. Seems like you're trying to make it better in pow. Can you give me an idea of how these changes affect performance on firm steeps? I was excited about Lindahl's description of the stiff flex and pictures of the gradual tip rocker (obviously combined with the long turn radius and overall shape).
    The important thing here is softer, not soft. We've tuned the flex down about 5%,which is enough to offset the change in rocker profile and the preload of the camber, not nearly enough to call the 102 soft.

The higher tip is also not high, just 60mm (less than 2,5 inches) and the point being that the skis have a little more lift in soft snow and it also looks a lot more reassuring.

In total, the changes make them a bit more traditional and a little closer to the older versions, while keeping the smoothness of the fully rockered ones.

Edit: http://www.downskis.com/skis/countdown-102 and click tech sheet for the details.

I love what you guys are doing with the bigger radius on some of your skis, the 102L looks like a sweet steeps ski, but probably a little wide for what I would personally want.

Any plan on doing the standard lay up 102 in a longer length? 186-8?

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    I love what you guys are doing with the bigger radius on some of your skis, the 102L looks like a sweet steeps ski, but probably a little wide for what I would personally want.

Any plan on doing the standard lay up 102 in a longer length? 186-8?
    We were looking at that, but some new options in production technology are coming up for next year, so we'd be wasting a lot of money if we invested in that this season. Next season is looking more likely for more lengths, but we are yet on the fence in regard to which models, which lengths and how many different skis we can handle. Feedback from customers and potential customers is our best option for finding the right models and lengths, and so far a longer 102 and shorter 110's and 114's seem to be the most wanted.

Let us know what you want...

Quote Originally Posted by rob stokes View Post
    I love what you guys are doing with the bigger radius on some of your skis, the 102L looks like a sweet steeps ski
    It is... fucking awesome ski. Also, as to your width comment, thats exactly what I was thinking before I tried them. I actually like the width now. I didn't feel like it gave up much, and I skied some nasty stuff this season, and it actually is a blast in powder and windslab. I think its the nearly complete lack of shape that makes it ski like a skinnier ski when you need it to... and not, when you don't.

5% softer wouldn't be a deal killer for me - it might actually make it even a little better for me. As to the higher tip? I'm curious now to measure the one on my old version.

So stoked you guys went back to minimal camber underfoot for this ski! Times have been rough this last week, but I hope to finish up that review in the next couple of days (mostly waiting till I get back home to take shots of the side profile).

We were looking at that, but some new options in production technology are coming up for next year, so we'd be wasting a lot of money if we invested in that this season. Next season is looking more likely for more lengths, but we are yet on the fence in regard to which models, which lengths and how many different skis we can handle. Feedback from customers and potential customers is our best option for finding the right models and lengths, and so far a longer 102 and shorter 110's and 114's seem to be the most wanted.

Let us know what you want...
    184 SD115 por favor

Quote Originally Posted by coldwater View Post
    184 SD115 por favor
    Noted!

Quote Originally Posted by coldwater View Post
    184 SD115 por favor
    I'm 5'9"/175lbs & have no problem with the 190 length. MTFU

Noted!
    Didn't you tease us with that promise last year? http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...63#post4093863

What was CSW, anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by coldandwet View Post
    Didn't you tease us with that promise last year? http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...63#post4093863

What was CSW, anyway?
    I did. Then we learned of the new tech that'll be available. Making new cavities and molds for just one season means a lot of wasted money.

CSW is related to park skiing. Maybe next year, maybe never. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    I'm 5'9"/175lbs & have no problem with the 190 length. MTFU
    Haha, no problem skiing that length, it's just the damned kick turns! But that shape in low 180's would be my perfect touring ski; a lot like a modern EHP.