Thread: Brain On Fire

Brain On Fire

Just finished reading this book over the weekend. A must read for anyone who has anyone in in their arms reach who has a mental illness.
    It hit pretty close to home for me. I will always have trouble with the term mental illness. With what we have been through the last year, It's a label that comes with a very heavy stigma of "stay the hell away" from this person. This book may open up some eyes in the world, to show that there is a real person in that brain. My new phrase that I heard last week was " Mental Skillness". Enjoy the read and please post up any feedback. Cheers.
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Quote Originally Posted by bad dancer View Post
    Just finished reading this book over the weekend. A must read for anyone who has anyone in in their arms reach who has a mental illness.
    It hit pretty close to home for me. I will always have trouble with the term mental illness. With what we have been through the last year, It's a label that comes with a very heavy stigma of "stay the hell away" from this person. This book may open up some eyes in the world, to show that there is a real person in that brain. My new phrase that I heard last week was " Mental Skillness". Enjoy the read and please post up any feedback. Cheers.
    GF read it and loved it. Sounded super intense.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

I haven't read the book, but lived autoimmune encephalitis up close and personal after a good friend came down with it a year ago.

AE is a true zebra disease that gets little more than a passing mention in med school, and you never expect you'll ever see it. For unclear reasons, it's becoming more common (increased awareness is only part of the reason).

Your point is right on - what looks like mental illness can in fact be organic brain disease. It's a small minority of cases, but it happens. I look at mental illness differently now.