Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a Jeep -

I need a Jeep -

Almost enough in the piggy bank to buy a 6 cylinder Jeep that I don't have to spend too much time wrenching on. $4-6k if I look 1 hour+ outside the Emerald City.

What I want
    Half doors off, top down, around town, my wife said no to the motorcycle, TOY.

What I want to do:
    -Take me and my best friend to explore places we would have hiked to once. Needs to travel FS and logging roads past where they dig a ditch to stop idiots in Outbacks.
    -Ability to turn around at a place where over the side means death is certain. I feel this may be a 1 time/trip occurrence.
    -Take me 200 miles on the freeway and fast 2 lanes with out beating me up too bad. Point of Reference, 300 miles of 50+ mph mountain 2 lane kicks my butt.
    -Must tow 2 snowmobiles on the freeway and axle deep snow park lots
    -Any thoughts on an auto trans are welcome

I've been shopping CL owner and this popped up. It'll sell before I'm ready but any thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 12.00.02 PM.png 
Views:	488 
Size:	411.2 KB 
ID:	156734
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

It's exactly what you want!!!! I say go for it - and it's white so the wifey might like it to drive around town

I am here to say I don't know shit about Jeeps other than I want one of the Wranglers for exactly what you described.

Name:	2014-jeep-wrangler.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	133.6 KB 
ID:	156735
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

What I want to do:
    -Take me and my best friend to explore places we would have hiked to once. Needs to travel FS and logging roads past where they dig a ditch to stop idiots in Outbacks.
    Not sure how deep they dig the ditches but Wranglers are extremely easy to lift on your own if you have the right tools. If you lift it more than ~2-3 inches you need to install a SYE (slip yolk eliminator) to correct driveshaft angles. Don't body lift over 1", that is the max before it starts looking like shit. Easiest lift to install IMO is coil spacers. You can run 33's with minimal fender trimming and if you want more clearance go with a small body lift. Just realize your ground clearance isn't going to get any better it you don't size up tires, your axles are always going to be the lowest point.

If you are going into the bush alone a good winch is vital. Never know what you're getting into, even if you think you'll just be cruising fire roads.

-Ability to turn around at a place where over the side means death is certain. I feel this may be a 1 time/trip occurrence.
    -Any thoughts on an auto trans are welcome
    If you aren't perfect with a clutch don't get a manual. Off roading with a standard trans is not at all like driving on paved roads with a standard. If you are really trying to turn around in a life or death situation you don't want to kill yourself because of your false sense of being able to drive stick around town. If you have ample experience with standard trans. then disregard.

-Take me 200 miles on the freeway and fast 2 lanes with out beating me up too bad. Point of Reference, 300 miles of 50+ mph mountain 2 lane kicks my butt.
    Driving a lifted vehicle is only for certain people.

-Must tow 2 snowmobiles on the freeway and axle deep snow park lots
    If you're not towing on ridiculous grades you may be alright but don't expect to be setting any speed records. An aftermarket brake kit and trans cooler wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Edit to add that driving some easy off road stuff with the jeep at stock height will tremendously help with tackling harder situations in the future. I'm no off road guru but I have gone with plenty of people that have much more ground clearance than I yet still had more difficulty on the same trails. Knowing where to put your tires is more important than how much lift you have in most situations.

The ditches they dig across FS road aren't to keep idiots in Outbacks out they are to let idiots in 4x4s know the road is closed or decommissioned.

I'm new and ignorant but willing to learn. But the best blueberries are always on the other side of the ditch IME

That's because they're harder to get to. The best blueberries/huckleberries are on foot trails in heavy brush and you're usually swarmed with mosquitoes and flies.

east or bust Thanks, I learned. I'm an A+ clutcher and know where to put the wheels. I'm shopping no lift which makes it tougher around here. Locals lift EVERYTHING.

What are the downsides to an about trans? I would guess less able to delicately feed or feather power on low speed slippery turf/snow/mud?

Good luck pulling 2 sleds up the highway in a 4L wrangler. My old rusty '93 grunts pretty good just going up to the tunnel at 11k and that's just with me in it.

That said, I love the hell out if driving it with the top down and the doors off. Totally worth the price of admission!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I hear you cruiser. My 1st 20 miles go from 600' to 3500' on I-90 but I can get in the RIGHT lane with the 45mph semis. Ability to get to where I'm towing is more important than doing it gracefully. Guess I'd be pulling about 1500-2000 lbs.

Your 11k is a factor, no?

Just sent the seller an email. I'll borrow a couple of thou from my retired fund. It will probably mean a week or two less of "It could be Worse" care in the for profit Nursing Home before running dry and being shipped off the the Gov't run Elder Hostel/Death Panel where they will change my pull ups only once a day and for visitors. But It'll be worth it.

Good luck!!!!

Nearly 200,000 mile Wrangler with known electrical problems, a history of off-road use, and a photograph in front of a body shop. Not trying to harsh your mellow, but I'm guessing someone will end up turning a wrench.

350/350 Chevy, 35's, f/r arb's should cover all that.

lol...you want to 4wheel on stock suspension and tow with a 4.0. lol

Lift, lockers, 350 chevy....this ain't rocket surgery.

Not my 1st rodeo and I caught all that. It smells a bit. I'm ready to lose it to someone that only knows the wet dream side. Thanks for the caution though. It sensitizes the short hairs on my neck.

I don't think the manual tranny will bog down on hills as much as the auto does.
    Clutches are so much cheaper when replacing, too.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/4565746364.html

just buy that and call it a day. seriously.
    Yeah, but then he'd have to go to Gresham.

Looks cool but what's with that engine? A V8? what kind of V8? Don't think Toyota ever put one of those in an FJ40.
    I still call it The Jake.

I came here to say FJ but that one above is a fucking rip off. Brother picked one up a few years ago for less, loaded. 350 chev/350trans, lifted, lockers, chev tilt steering column, tons of other shit done, minty for $6500. Shop hard and travel to buy if you have to. Plus the FJ will out tow a CJ/wrangler.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Looks cool but what's with that engine? A V8? what kind of V8? Don't think Toyota ever put one of those in an FJ40.
    If that's a Chevy 283, it could be a great engine. Small-block Chevy engine were $$ IME. Although, on reflection, it was like 30 years ago that I formed that opinion. Grain-o-salt.

Seriously what you want is a truck, a trailer and an atv. use the trailer in the winter for snowmachines.

towing 2 sleds with a wrangler (or god forbid, a cj or willys) is not a recipe for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    If that's a Chevy 283, it could be a great engine. Small-block Chevy engine were $$ IME. Although, on reflection, it was like 30 years ago that I formed that opinion. Grain-o-salt.
    Absolutely. All depends on the year tho - early 283's were just bored out 265's and the walls were a little thin. However the re-cast motors (the most likely component here) were fucking awesome, especially as a fuelie.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Seriously what you want is a truck, a trailer and an atv. use the trailer in the winter for snowmachines.

towing 2 sleds with a wrangler (or god forbid, a cj or willys) is not a recipe for fun.
    You've towed with a Jeep? Say more. Your quiver has it all but the around town TOY part. It all depends on how you weigh the compromise to the most likely use. I towed my 1000lb boat with a CRV across the plains and my part time job has me driving with 22,000lb max GVW loads. I'm lucky to have a snowmobile trail head 20 miles up the hill that leads to this

Name:	000_0109.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	156742

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post

I have to agree with this, the serious jeeps around here are trailer queens towed by Dodge diesels. Throw the sleds in the truck or trailer if need be for winter missions
    watch out for snakes

The elevation is certainly a factor, but I think most 4L Jeep owners will agree that, while they are indisputably great engines, they're just not powerful enough to two 2000# of sleds uphill to the TH in anything that even remotely resembles comfort. Even so, if your budget allows for a beater Jeep then for god's sake man, go get one. Rambling around on a sunny day with the top/doors off and the soundbar cranking out some crappy 80's rock is pretty damned nice.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.