Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WTB: New (for me) AM/Trail bike

I'm in the market for a new bike, I've been looking at Mojo's, Bronson, Nomad, Tracer 2, or something else that is awesome and has between 140mm-160ish travel. Got about $3000 to spend and could maybe stretch it out to $3500. Need L or XL I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. What do the mags have to pawn off on me?
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

You could get a new Bronson for that money. Go XL for sure if you do, they run small.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

The bronson in that price has a crappy fork and some other stuff I don't like. I feel like if I get a used bike I can get a much better component spec for the money. No warranty though... so there is that.

Nomad is a good second bike, imo. Or a good one bike if you only ride gnarly nasty stuff at speed and tend to get in over your head - push the limits. Highish BB, long wheelbase and chainstays, etc. With a stock shock, it kinda sucks too. Throw a push link and a coil on it, now we're talking - hence my 'second' bike comment. Add in lots of ledges, rock gardens, high speeds, more than 5' drops and its totally in its element. Its a trail bike that forgives mistakes at the cost of effeciency and playfulness. Or a DH bike that doesn't forgive mistakes with the reward of playfulness.

For only having one bike, I prefer a shorter travel, poppy, low BB, lightweight, etc. I can rally the gnarly stuff when needed, and it never feels like overkill. If all I had was a Nomad, it'd feel like overkill a good chunk of the time.

I'd go with a SoloC/TRc over a BronsonC personally. TRc for sure if you like playful. Very stiff for its weight. You can get those things stupid light without having to fix shit all the time, which is really fun.

Stumpjumper Evo would be a good option also, but not much pedal platform - good for tech climbs, not so good for putting the pedal down. Kinda flexy too. Transition Bandit would be another option, but the frame is on the heavy side. Pivot Mach 5.7 would be another great option.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 07-10-2014 at 01:08 PM.

How tough is the trc/5010? I'm about 240lbs don't really want something I'm going to break. I'll be living in western Washington so I'll need a bike that can handle anything I can throw at it, I don't really know what the trail status is there I've been on the evergreen MTB alliance website but a description of a trail is no substitute for riding it. I'm thinking about a turner 5.spot too. I'm not into flexy. I need stiff.

Turner 5 Spot would be a great option too. 5010/TRc are pretty tough. Santa Cruz carbon bikes tend to be overbuilt while still having great frame weights. I wouldn't worry about it. The Transition Bandit might be your best option. Great for WA riding, and on the burly/stiff side. So would a Knolly Endorphin. Similar category of bike.

At your weight, if you're doing a lot of large jumps, you could definitely look at a GT Distortion too. That thing was made for huge hits, while still being able to be pedaled like a trail bike.

Also, at your weight, you may find that you'll want a different fork for stiffness reasons. Like a lowered Fox 36 or lowered Lyrik.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 07-10-2014 at 01:58 PM.

I found the TRc to be a bit noodly, at 240lbs I'd stay away. I have no experience on a 5010.

how about a Rocky Mtn Slayer? at the beefy end but they seem to handle abuse well.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    how about a Rocky Mtn Slayer? at the beefy end but they seem to handle abuse well.
    Das Slayer! Love my ride. Not a great pedal bike while standing but who leaves the granny gear anyway, am I right? My only complaint is my stock shocks on my '12 Slayer 50 - Rp23 & Float 35 - are limited in adjustments. Wish I at least had high and low speed compression adjustments in the rear.

Also JeffreyJim is selling his XL Mojo HD for $2900, seems like a rowdy rig you can stand getting on a 26'er without throwing up in your mouth:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...900?highlight=
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

I agree with Lindahl..I have the Nomadc with fox36 plenty stiff (for your size) and plush but suffers on the climbs. The rp3 is meh at best.fwiw I would like to see how it rides with a pike and CCDB hopefully a bit better climber, from talking with people on Bronsons it sounds like it is a better climber and still slays on the way down. At 6'2" go for an xl

Quote Originally Posted by Chugachjed View Post
    How tough is the trc/5010? I'm about 240lbs don't really want something I'm going to break. I'll be living in western Washington so I'll need a bike that can handle anything I can throw at it, I don't really know what the trail status is there I've been on the evergreen MTB alliance website but a description of a trail is no substitute for riding it. I'm thinking about a turner 5.spot too. I'm not into flexy. I need stiff.
    Knolly Chilcotin. You're welcome.

Sent from a rotary phone.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    Knolly Chilcotin. You're welcome.

Sent from a rotary phone.
    You're giving me one? Thanks. I wanted jefferyjims mojo but alas it sold before my funding came through.

at 6'2" 240 for a xc/trail bike you might want to look at a banshee spitfire. a very capable 140mm bike. solid bikes for a decent price. put a 160mm fork on it

You're giving me one? Thanks. I wanted jefferyjims mojo but alas it sold before my funding came through.
    If I had your size I would definitely try and hook you up. I talked to this guy on pb (for a friend of mine who ended up just buying a frame). That guy is willing to sell below his listed price, at least he was for my buddy. If you're interested you could make him an offer that is in your budget. Not sure if you want a L or XL though...
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Das Slayer! L.............. My only complaint is my stock shocks on my '12 Slayer 50 - Rp23 & Float 35 - are limited in adjustments. Wish I at least had high and low speed compression adjustments in the rear.
    I don't mind the fork so much but yes the RP23 is pretty shit. I'll upgrade it at some point & it will feel like a whole new bike! A firmer pedalling platform would be be nicer for pedalling trails, Slayer is my only bike.

The spitfire has piqued my interest for sure. Can't find a used v2 and I don't want to fight with the bushings on v1. I've been thinking about the new heckler too but I've not ridden a single pivot.
    Last edited by Chugachjed; 07-10-2014 at 05:33 PM.

Yes def v2. Adjustments are nice. I pieced my rune together on the cheap. Banshee are one of a few you can buy frame only w no rear shock. Bought new frame for warrantee(in case) . Next to new rear shock shipped to my door for 100 and next to new fork for 500 off Pb buy n sell .saved 800 with a used rear shock alone, that was a take off.That was under 2300 to give an idea so could be under your limit and have warrantee on main part

The bronson in that price has a crappy fork and some other stuff I don't like. I feel like if I get a used bike I can get a much better component spec for the money. No warranty though... so there is that.
    I literally just, went, through, this. Wanted a 150mm+ 27.5 trail bike and didn't like any new bike's spec in the ~$3k. range. Wanted something without a CTD fork, but without low end components, and without a $5k build.

So I built one, and came out just under that mark. I was torn between a new heckler and a used Bronson. Decided to try the VPP. Actually, the last parts are coming in the mail next week.

Ended up with:

Barely Used 2014 Bronson ALU XL frame with Fox float CTD
    Cane Creek 40 headset
    XFusion Sweep
    Sun Ringle Charger Pro SL Wheels
    Geax Goma F tire
    Geax AKA R tire
    Shimano XT Brakes
    2x10 RF Turbine Cranks
    Kore OCD Bars
    Kore Repute Stem
    Kore Grips
    EA70 Carbon Post
    X9 2x10 Shifters
    X9 R Derailleur
    X0 F Derailleur
    1071 Cassette
    WTB Silverado Saddle

Will post a picture next week when she is built up.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1574342/

Any of the Vancouver mags want to pick this up and ship it to me??? Stupid local pickup only sale.

Decent price. Think that dude is over on nsmb. Can't recall if he'd be a regular loony drop contender on the shore or not. Spitty frame with a 55ti sounds like a good mix of solid for the important bits

Looks like I'm going with a 2013 mojo HD not as nice of a build as JefferyJim's but the price +shipping seems reasonable. Just too bad it has those crankbrothers Iodine wheels... bleh

Turner has NOS 5Spot frames for $1800, you could put together one for $3000 or a little more depending on what you want and whether you pick new or used fork.

Looks like I'm going with a 2013 mojo HD not as nice of a build as JefferyJim's but the price +shipping seems reasonable. Just too bad it has those crankbrothers Iodine wheels... bleh
    Don't do it. Iodine wheels at your weight?

Also, the 5010c is just like the TRc, so if flowtron is getting flex at 240, he'll get it on both frames. You won't break them, but it sounds like they're not quite stiff enough for a 240 rider that likes a stiff frame.

With that said, a Turner 5 Spot, Transition Bandit and Knolly Endorphin are some of the stiffer frames on the market without going into the 6" arena (which I still think is overkill a lot of the time). Not sure where a Spitfire lies, nor a Mojo - but keep in mind that there's a different link for the Mojo specifically to stiffen it up (was that only on older Mojos?), so without having ridden it, I'm a bit skeptical for a heavier rider.

Also, a 170mm fork on a Spitfire kinda sounds silly to me. Yeah, it can take it, but I'd much rather have a 150mm for climbing's sake, if this is gonna be an 'everyday' bike. A 170mm fork is very heavily biased towards the DH on that bike.

I'm expecting to sell the iodines immediately, or talk the guy into selling the bike without them. He is convinced that they're great I'm afraid of taco status. If I wasn't busy guiding I would be all over building a 5.spot but I don't have the time or energy and I need a bike to drive through Canada with in early September.