Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Hugh Conway Guest
    the small/dumb advice is good but hatchery fish are .... hatchery fish. And dumb in a way unlike wild fish. east or west some small mountain stream gives you an abundance of trout that don't talk to each other so if you fuck up, there's always another pool to move on to. If you are in the west and fit (it's TGR, everyone's an ultramarathoner with 3% bodyfat and a cock like Secretariat and the stud list to match right?) you might be able to hike in to bigger, dumb fish.

^^^ agreed on the hiking. The further one is willing to hike, (at least in Idaho and Wyoming where I fish), the more likely you are to find those "dumb" fish are also bigger. AND, if you hit the high mountain lakes as they are just melting out, they are also so hungry that they will pretty much go after anything that you toss out there.

I fished for stocked trout in a shitty little lake and just taught myself. I highly recommend getting a bit of instruction, took me 3 years to figure out the double haul. I had no idea what I was doing.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Hugh, this is not Polyass you dont have to be a douchebag if you dont want to be.

My advice from someone who came from growing up fishing in a boat for walleyes, get someone who knows what they are doing to help u get started. i had a free guided float and the guide was great. When I went fishing by myself I would carry my fly rod and spinning rod, and when I got frustrated with the fly rod I would switch. I could usually catch fish with the spinning rod but it was like a crutch. I finally quit taking my spinning rod and just kept fly fishing. It would sometimes be extremely frustrating, but the more I used the fly rod, the easier it got. It takes time and more patience than you have to get decent at fly fishing. i still do not claim to be a good fly fisherman but I have gotten to the point that just being out is a fantastic day. Just realize that it will take time to get to that point, but every day on the water is great. Catching fish is just a bonus.

Hugh Conway Guest
    It's TGR. Everyone's a douchebag. Guess I'm a douchebag for pointing out if you know how you learn, choose that way. First hand instruction vs. books/videos vs. flailing. It's not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    I just bought a fly rod, some line and a couple reels
    This seems odd. You bought one rod, but 2 reels?
    And you didn't buy some line, you bought A line, or a couple lines. There is a difference. Did you split the "some line" between the 2 reels? I would advise against that.

A few have mentioned finding an experienced friend or whatever. How about hiring a professional? There are people that make their living teaching people to fish with fly rods. And some of them are pretty good at it, too. Some suck though, so beware.

There are even a few long-time guides that post in the TGR fishing forum...

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    Best video of all time! Everyone who I fish with knows how much I despise starting at that stupid bobber!
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

LOL^^^
    I just started fly fishing for the first ever too this spring/summer.
    I began this spring with high waters and nymph fishing with thingamabobbers as an indicator and trialing nymph rigs. mostly roll casting on the river and practicing dry on the lawns. I caught fish to my surprise!
    I have hired a guide twice, once for wading and once for a float trip. That helps sooo much, I highly recommend it. Plus getting a local fly shop to know and trust you.they are your best resource.
    Luckily I started having opportunities to throw dries and still learning lots. but still the nymph fishing here on the Blue was always more productive.
    Now it's changed a lot lately,and I am using hopper/droppers and double dries for better hits and getting lots of fish!
    I also practicing on other rivers like upper Colo River and the Snake, and others in the area.
    (Amazing all the different presentations one can use to hook a fish!)
    I get skunked every other day, and then one in three/five fishing days I hook a monster only to lose him.
    But ...every now and then I actually get to net an occasional big one, and it makes all those bad days worth it. (see the stoke thread)
    I am a complete JONG yet I am having the time of my life flailiing around cluelessly with my entry level 5 weight!!
    I fish now 3-5 days a week and try lots of different streams. I am getting to know all the holes and spots from fishing them myself.
    Just get after it!
    Don't expect much as a newb.
    Just enjoy the amazing places this sport takes you!
    It is more amazing Than I ever thought it could be!

Last edited by TeleHoar; 08-24-2014 at 08:53 PM.

Late to the party, but screw it, I'll pitch in.

It sounds obvious- but I learned to "fly" fish...by going fishing. Seriously. There were a lot of things I didn't know when I started. There are a lot of things I still don't know. I would say it's a constant, ever-evolving learning process. I am still constantly learning, every day, every week, every trip. For myself, it's not just a hobby, it's an obsession.

My advice. Go fishing. Practice. If you have experienced people to fish with, then take advantage of it. And if you don't, don't let it hold you back; learn whatever you can, however you can, and try to apply what you learn. Identify the parts that frustrate you and focus on reading or learning about those specifics. Bit by bit you will get better, you will learn. Gotta pizza before you French fry.

If that doesn't work-Copious amounts of beer, garage sale metronome, and A River Runs Through It.

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    This seems odd. You bought one rod, but 2 reels?
    And you didn't buy some line, you bought A line, or a couple lines. There is a difference. Did you split the "some line" between the 2 reels? I would advise against that.
    I bought two lines. A floating and a sinking and a reel for each.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleHoar View Post
    Just get after it!
    My advice. Go fishing
    You guys are totally right. I made it out a couple weeks back and actually caught a fish. I had just as much fun flailing around on the river bank, pulling my gear out of trees and bushes as I did landing the trout.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.