Page 1 of 44 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Smokers, grills, and BBQs. What are you cooking?

The best thing about summer is cooking dead animal over fire. I searched, but couldn't find any threads on this (the BGE thread does come close).

I picked up a masterbuilt electric smoker last fall. I also have a charcoal grill and a small propane tailgating grill (About 12" x 18", just big enough for a couple burgers / smokies)

Post up your favorite recipes here. Rubs, brines, marinades, etc. Pictures of the finished product don't hurt either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

To start, I've been playing around with different wing recipes. I put mccormicks smokehouse maple seasoning on them a few hours ahead of time, seal them in a ziplock bag, and put them back in the fridge.

Preheat the smoker to 225*, and place the wings on the rack. I'll use either apple, alder, or cherry wood, and smoke for about 1.5 hours. Finish them on the grill for no more than a couple of minutes to crisp up the skin.

I made a pork tenderloin a couple weeks ago, but I can't find my pork rub recipe at the moment. Tomorrow I'm going to give smoked burgers a try, along with montreal smoked meat.
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

My favourite sauce for wings is roasted ontario honey crisp apples, made into a wet rub. So delicious.

My dad's wealthy friend has a kalamazoo bbq, they can get extreme heat with wood, giving a delicious sear. Crazy good.
    "4ply is so quiche"
    -Flowing Alpy

Just bought a kitchen aid 4+1 lpg grill to replace my charcoal grill whi h turned out to be virtually unusable at 9.6k' above sea level. I realized that the first time I tried to use it up here 6 years ago, but hadn't bought a gas grill because it just didn't seem right to me that you had to spend $1000 to get a grill that didn't look like it was going to tip over when you opened it. Finally stumbled onto this one at Costco. I think it is made by Nexgrill. I paid $600 for it and it is awesome. This thing is easily as nice as the $1400 Weber Genesis they had at the home depot and light years beyong the Weber Spirit that they sell in this price range. It's made from heavy gauge stainless steel and it's been very easy to get consistent cooking temps, even with the temperature fluctuation and breezes we get up here. When my moron friends were poaching that fish yesterday, we had it locked on 350 for an hour, through sunshine, rain, and hail. No problem. And it get's HOT. 750, easy. The side burner is nice... Didn't look that helpful when I saw it in the store, but we used it all day yesterday and it works great for heating up sauces and side dishes. Would recommend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Do yourself a favor and buy replacement burners now. They will shit the bed at some point. Grills such as yours should last 5 years...tops. Most of the sales departments say they wont keep parts for the older grills.

Weber and Vermont have tech people who will find replacements. From what Ive read most other companies lack in this area.

I have not met a fella who would not recommend their gas grill after the maiden voyage.Id like reports from gas grillers after year number three.
    Last edited by stompinlines; 07-05-2014 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IVplay View Post
    My favourite sauce for wings is roasted ontario honey crisp apples, made into a wet rub. So delicious.

My dad's wealthy friend has a kalamazoo bbq, they can get extreme heat with wood, giving a delicious sear. Crazy good.
    It's been covered here before, kid: BBQ (from "barbacoa") is the term for slow cooking, grilling is searing meat.

Favorite smoked wings are simply salted and peppered, smoked with apple wood until tooth tender (ie not falling off the bone), then tossed in Sweet Baby Ray's mixed with Chalula and Garlic Powder before charring on the grill. Too much hassle to make on their own, tho - I'll smoke some wings along with the main meat if there's room. Unfortunately my vertical water smoker kicked the bucket so no wings this summer.

Thinking of getting one of these for the fall tho: http://pitbarrelcooker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Thinking of getting one of these for the fall tho: http://pitbarrelcooker.com/
    My friend was just trash talking vertical smokers -- any opinions on the pros and cons of them?

The BGE comes ......... close?

Vertical vs Offset?
    They both have their strengths and weaknesses.
    Both are excellent tools.
    Both have an equal list of pros/cons.
    To answer this question, you'll have to list your needs.

My next grill purchase:
    Primo XL-

Right now I am rocking the $399 Acorn from Lowes. The thing is $$ for 1/3 the price of the BGE.

I am getting ready to finally build in my outdoor kitchen, and the Primo will be the centerpiece.

As for recipes-

1 bottle Frank's Red Hot
    1 injector
    1 3-4 lb roaster chicken
    1 half drank beer
    1-1/2 hours at 350-400
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GRILL-JD-XL.png 
Views:	400 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	156607  

Quote Originally Posted by stompinlines View Post
    Vertical vs Offset?
    They both have their strengths and weaknesses.
    Both are excellent tools.
    Both have an equal list of pros/cons.
    To answer this question, you'll have to list your needs.
    I want to do pork ribs, brisket, whole chickens and salmon.

Edit- not at the same time btw.

I cook some portion of dinner out back at least 4 days a week all year long. Last night we had pulled pork that was smoked for about 17 hours over apple wood on the big green egg at 235*. Paired that up with pineapple habanero salsa, granny smith coleslaw, cornbread, and baked beans. Then tonight I did fresh corn in the husk and some curry lime rubbed chicken cutlets cooked on the ~10yo Vermont Casting propane grill at ~650*. Served that with some curried red lentils, plain white rice, and a creamy citrus yogurt dipping sauce. Winning!!!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Just had some good lamb shoulder chops cooked over charcoal on the weber. Marinated them in olive oil, sherry, zinfandel, garlic, herbs de Provence, dijon , and salt. Chased it down with a couple glasses of cab franc and a Tahoe sunset.

Just sent away for a partyq (Google it u lazy cokbreaths) and when set up with my kettle and smokenator (another google bitches), I'll be havin a bad ass constant 225 and cranking out ribs
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Love my partyq. It's a total game changer. I put my shoulder on the night before last about 10pm then went to sleep. When I woke up in the morning it was still at exactly 235*. Then it kept the egg chugging along all day without the temp changing by more than 2* until my swine hit 200* internal temp. FKNA!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Smoked up two racks of belly ribs Memphis style over hickory in a Brinkman electric smoker this PM. Served with grilled sweet potato fries (gas grill), cole slaw dressed with mango salsa, a couple of leftover grilled pineapple slices & a little yogurt, washed down with PBRs. Life is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    The BGE comes ......... close?
    BGE thread. A few recipes in there, but I figured with the success of the slow cooker thread there are probably enough people on here into roasting meat to have a thread like this.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums

Did a pork tenderloin like this last weekend:

Pork Rub:
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup paprika
    1/3 cup garlic salt
    1/3 cup kosher salt
    1 tbsp chili powder
    1 tsp oregano
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp coarse black pepper

Pork Injection:
    3/4 cup apple juice
    1/2 cup honey
    1/3 cup water
    1/4 cup salt
    2 tbsp worcestershire sauce

Directions:
    Rub with pork rub several hours before smoking. Preheat smoker to 225°, and inject with pork injection. Smoke for a couple-few hours to an internal temp of 145°. I like apple or hickory, depending on how strong of a smoke flavor you want. I put apple juice rather than water in the water pan. In the last half hour mop on bbq sauce.

Amazingribs.com is a good source for recipes, tips, and some of the science behind smoking.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums

Smokers, grills, and BBQs. What are you cooking?

have been cooking a lot the salmon you buy from costco, it's about 7.99 a pound skinless... I use only a smoked seasoning from costco too, just cover every bit of the salmon and wrap it in foil... less than 10 minutes each side on med and it's done!

can't get much easier than that! I usually cook 2 big pieces so I have left overs for pasta or pizza over the week

Love smoking dead animals! I have a Bradley 4 rack that's been getting a lot use since I got it. Have a charcoal rig I play with at the lake a bit in the summer as well.

Just did a beef roast today that I rubbed last night with a Garam Masala spice blend. 4 hours in misquite and another hour to get it to 145. FTC for a couple hours and a damn nice roast for dinner. And leftovers for sandwiches tomorrow. Wings, hamburgers and sausages get a lot of time in mine but I love doing a pork shoulder or something like that once in a while when I've got the time. And bacon wrapped chicken breasts. Did some jerk chicken thighs over the charcoal at the lake for canada day that were fantastic.

Yay meat!

Smokin' some wings tomorrow.

16-20 chicken wings.
    4 Tbs dark brown sugar.
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp dried ground cayenne pepper
    1 tsp smoked paprika
    1 tsp dried ground chipotle pepper
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp oregano

I'm using a Weber Spirit E-310 with cast iron/porcelain grates, and a stainless smoker box that sits between grate and favorizer bars/burner. I place a pan of water at the back of the grill too, to keep the meat from drying out.

Dry-rub wings 24 hrs in advance.
    Soak 2 cups hickory chips in water at least one hour before firing up grill. I usually use only the back burner, and place the wings towards the front of the grill for low and slow, indirect cooking @225F. Chips should start smoking within a half-hour, and continue for prolly an hour. (newer model E-310's burners run front to back, so adjust accordingly)

Smoke wings for prolly 90 min or so, turning once, then fire up remaining burners on low to crisp the skin. Be careful not to go too hot, or all the brown sugar will turn to black charcoal. (don't blow it!)

Serve with whatever you normally have with buffalo wings, or just eat 'em plain and quit being such a faggot. NTTAWWT
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Just bought a Weber Genesis E-310. HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. About 6 years ago, went from charcoal to gas....and don't regret it. The flame control, convenience, and ease-of-use makes it worth it. With that said....I do miss the "authenticity" of charcoal and wish I had gotten into more natural lump coal and smoking.

bendtheski....I'd like to see a pic of your smoking set-up...and any suggestions you'd have.

Now....looking for recipes and dinner ideas

Quit trying to oppress women...

^busted!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0958.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	156628

Name:	IMG_0959.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	156629

Name:	IMG_0961.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	156630
    Gaaahhhh, fuck yeah!