Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cliff Rescue...

Cliff Rescue...

OK....Which one of you guys is this?....

Why was that guy in that spot and how did he get there? Doesn't make any sense.

Obviously not UW material.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Why was that guy in that spot and how did he get there? Doesn't make any sense.
    Because people, duh. Job security.

Lived in Yosemite valley for a couple of seasons. Shit like that was not uncommon. Even for a seasoned free soloist down climbing is not much fun. I remember finding a middle aged Chinese dude in tears clinging to the top of a boulder wearing dress shoes with a suit on. The tour guide said he was showing his family that rock climbing was not really hard. I give the guy cred though. He was on top of the problem

From the local newspaper http://www.livingsnoqualmie.com/snoq...national-news/
    According the Snohomish County Helicopter Rescue Team’s social media report, the stranded hiker was told rescue teams were en route, but it would be hours until they could reach him. The hiker feared he wouldn’t be able to hold on until then, as he was at the 5,000 foot level of the very steep mountain side.

SnoHawk 10 located the hiker’s position and then landed in the upper Alpental Ski Area parking lot to gear up of for the tricky rescue. Search and rescue crews were able to successfully hoist the stranded hiker using the Strop extraction technique and brought the hiker to safety around 8:30PM.
    Kinda baffling how the guy made it to that perch before deciding he was in Teh Suck and couldn't wait for a ground-based extraction. No blood or noticable injury. He needs a public outing/mocking

Great footage - too bad the audio in the rescuer's unit wasn't working unless he was jacked into the intercom. It would have been interesting to hear.

Hard to believe the guy was wearing shorts. How cold do you think he got?

Probably a phone and wallet in that pack that got left. Who's gonna get it?

I hope that was the bill in that last scene.

spook Guest
    happens on the oregon coast all the time. they get stuck on some cliff in their tennis shoes and you're like how did they get there and then why did they get there.

^^^tourists can't be bothered with tides. Seen this happen probably 20 times on the Oregon coast. They climb out on the rocks on an incoming tide then they're fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    OK....Which one of you guys is this?....

Looks like a stupid, whiny little bitch. I'm thinking digitaldeath.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

That looks like a pretty tough spot to get to for a not experienced climber. Did he climb that "chimney" to his right or that corner to the left and follow the crack? Whichever, why someone would do that is baffling.

He Coug'd It.

I take back what I said before. I thought he climbed and stuck himself. Apparently he fell from a trail and was holding on.

Doesn't mean digitaldeath is not a whiny bitch though

I'm right there with everyone on "how did he get there?"

Nicely done by the rescue crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Probably a phone and wallet in that pack that got left. Who's gonna get it?
    That's how a lot of helicopter rescues (and any winch rescue) in the world work: you come, your gear stays, even if it is $9000 of camera gear and your super sweet super $ custom carbon skis with dynafit beasts.

You pay to get your gear back, whether it is your friend's bar bill, a guide's fee, or a donation to rescuers. I bet for a hefty donation, the rescue team would go get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo View Post
    I take back what I said before. I thought he climbed and stuck himself. Apparently he fell from a trail and was holding on.

Doesn't mean digitaldeath is not a whiny bitch though
    Where did you read he fell from a trail? I don't see how that's possible given that he was stuck on a rock face with at least a 100' of cliff above him. How would he arrest on that little ledge he was on? I'm not saying it's not true, just trying to grasp how that would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    That's how a lot of helicopter rescues (and any winch rescue) in the world work: you come, your gear stays, even if it is $9000 of camera gear and your super sweet super $ custom carbon skis with dynafit beasts.

You pay to get your gear back, whether it is your friend's bar bill, a guide's fee, or a donation to rescuers. I bet for a hefty donation, the rescue team would go get it.
    Yeah, of course. I remember reading an account (maybe in Surviving Denali?) about a Korean climber getting a much-needed rescue at altitude on Denali coming unglued when the rescue team refused to load his pack on the heavily-loaded helicopter.

stupid hikers = litter

^ put your phone and wallet in your pocket before SAR gets there?

Its easy to criticize the rescuees for not wanting to leave their packs, but I bet a lot of time its just instinct to want to stay with their gear, and in the high stress situation they aren't thinking all that clearly.

The guy in this video didn't really seem to resist to leaving his pack, he just grabbed for it. Nobody wants to leave their stuff if they don't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    ^ put your phone and wallet in your pocket before SAR gets there?

Its easy to criticize the rescuees for not wanting to leave their packs, but I bet a lot of time its just instinct to want to stay with their gear, and in the high stress situation they aren't thinking all that clearly.

The guy in this video didn't really seem to resist to leaving his pack, he just grabbed for it. Nobody wants to leave their stuff if they don't have to.
    This is why I always leave my drugs in my body.

impressive rescue. Like Aaron, I don't see how that guy fell to that spot, seems like he had to be climbing.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

No way in hell did he fall to that position. Spiderman maybe could pull that off, but spidey could climb out too!

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Where did you read he fell from a trail? I don't see how that's possible given that he was stuck on a rock face with at least a 100' of cliff above him. How would he arrest on that little ledge he was on? I'm not saying it's not true, just trying to grasp how that would happen.
    Heard it on a news report about the rescue. It was on TV, therefor it must be true

Quote Originally Posted by Stikki View Post
    He Coug'd It.
    I was going to give you some shit over this comment. Then I watched the video. Christ, giving Cougs all over the world a bad name....

That's at Melakwa Lake near Alpental. The wall faces west. I looked at it on Google Earth and my guess is he was down climbing and cliffed out. Just a guess.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.