Hank Hill bait question...

A couple of the mini-cruisers are going to enter a little fishing derby on the 4th at Progress Park in Littleton. I haven't fished in years (though I spent 1000's of hours out in the marshes, Mississippi river, and gulf back in the day) so I have no idea what sort of bait to have them use. This little contest is in a public park that has been stocked with typical fish like large mouth bass and whatnot. So, what sort of turbo bait (or lures/bait combo) do I grab for the kids so that they can slay the fishies? Bonus points if said bait is available at either Walmart or Dick's since I have easy access to both of those tomorrow on the way to work.

Kinda thinking of the King of the Hill episode where Hank accidentally uses crack to catch bass, ya know?
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Umbrella jig.

Straight up nightcrawlers. And for the double whammy, if you can get your hands on a syringe, fill them suckers up with air.....so they float off the bottom. Old mans trick from when i was a kid. Plus it looks like theres some illicit drug use involved, a la Hank and his trips to his bait guy.