Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Whoa cool. I got destroyed by mosquitoes in northern ON. First time in my life when I packed up and quit. I dealt with damp, hot, cold but fuck mosquitoes. 2-3 bites just on the ass while shitting. I was dousing 100% DEET. Unreal. Hopefully this works.

Damn, I can't wait for winter

For $20 you can get a 32oz bottle of the 10% stuff, and one of the reviews says Martin's doesn't contain petroleum distillates (solvent) like some of the agricultural stuff does: Martins Permethrin, 10%, 32 oz bottle

My girlfriend gets half-golfball-sized lumps from mosquito bites (particularly on her ass & arms), appreciate the FYI on this stuff.

I bought the 10% Martin's stuff from Amazon, and diluted it down to just under a 1% solution in a spray bottle. The commercially treated clothes say they are at a 0.5% solution, and I think some here posted they use 1% for DIY treatment. Figured I'd split the difference.

I washed my Camelbak today and sprayed the back outside surface. Seemed like a good test item.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Why would you put it on your camelback?

I hate to put any bug dope on, unless I really need it. I might put it on my bike helmet, because I hate it when the deer flies get in the vents. But if I keep moving >10mph, they don't really bother me.

The bugs are really bad here now. Last night at dusk, I was coming home. I saw a kid with a break down, getting eaten alive. I stopped to help, but he needed more than I could offer and he still had eight miles to go. I'm sure his carcass has been picked clean by now.

I'm getting some of the deep woods off towlets to put in my seat bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Why would you put it on your camelback?

I'm getting some of the deep woods off towlets to put in my seat bag.
    On the Camelbak because, well, why not, if it helps keep bugs away from me and is a durable treatment. It left a mild chemical odor on the pack after drying, but not nearly as stinky as Deet. No change in the feel or appearance of the pack.

Those Off handi-wipes are convenient to carry with in the pack too.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

yeah, it works...

I'd still get your shots if you are headed to malaria regions.

Keep your sleeves down in the evening, use a mosquito net over your head, and/or sleeping area.

I sprayed 1% Permethrin on almost all of my clothes/hat/shoes packed for eight days on St Lucia (island northeast of Venezuela), which has a reputation for terrible mosquitoes. Don't know if that reputation is undeserved (I'm from Minnesota and know serious skeeters) or if the Permethrin works that well, but I only noticed one or two mosquitoes the entire trip and was never bitten - even during a few hikes in the jungle. Did get some red spots around my ankles - fleas or chiggers on the ground maybe, didn't spray my socks. The sprayed areas weren't visible on really dark or light colored clothes, but it did show on navy blue and khaki for some reason. Disappeared after the first wash though, so it didn't ruin any clothes.

Just a bump of an old thread. I used Ex Officio clothes on a trip to the Amazon (mostly Rio Negro area) and no critter bites. Less mozzie on the Rio Negro due to more acidic water, but worked on the Amazon proper and in Manaus.

This was before I read this thread, hence the commercial clothes. Heading to Africa next month with DIY as per Big Steve. If I get malaria it will be his fault

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

DIY seemed to work for me on a Boundary Waters trip last month. One of the Sawyer spray bottles treated two pair of pants, a pair of shorts, one long sleeve shirt, one t-shirt, one short sleeve shirt, and two pair of socks. Nothing was stained after it dried. Came back with one bite on my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    If I get malaria it will be his fault
    Know a girl that got Dengue Fever there and it took the doctors state side, a long time to diagnose it.

I'm still using the Premethrin based horse spray on my dogs without any side effects.

I use Permethrin spray on the cuffs and waist bands of my outdoor pants and my shoes. I'm aiming for tick rather than mosquito protection. I had three+ ticks earlier in the year (including two deer ticks in a week right before I treated my clothes), but haven't had one since I put the Permethrin on.

For mosquitoes I know that you're supposed to treat the whole outfit, but so far, it's worked for me with just the pants and shoes for ticks.

If you are looking for something on the skin, like the hands, neck, head-- I've been using Picaridin based insect repellent lately. Good for up to 8 hours (just like anything reapply if you are sweating a lot or get it washed off. It does not affect the synthetic clothing like Deet does either so safer if you are in contact with any synthetics materials that Deet can damage.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    I've been using Picaridin based insect repellent lately. Good for up to 8 hours (just like anything reapply if you are sweating a lot or get it washed off. It does not affect the synthetic clothing like Deet does either so safer if you are in contact with any synthetics materials that Deet can damage.
    I work a number of remote sites in Alaska with bug problems. This year we decided to try Sawyer with Picardin, Repel with lemon eucalyptus, Deet 30% and 95%. Nothing got 8 hours. The Picardin was effective for one to three hours, never more. The lemon eucalyptus was almost as effective as the Picardin with a slightly shorter life. The Deet was good for about 4 hours both 30% and 95%. Sweat was not a factor. Different areas had mosquito, black fly, red fly, and no-seeum. the results were similar. Have gone back to Deet 95% for most things, and yea that stuff will melt quite a lot of synthetic materials. I have used Permethrin treated mosquito nets for sleeping and found they do kill spiders, flies, and all sorts of things I find dead on the outside of the net. I'll try the "self treat Perethrin" on some clothing just to add more to the database. Den

Went w permethrin on all our clothes for 3 weeks in Uganda. Money. We used a little deet on the back of hands etc. other whities got the shit eaten out of them. Just left it packed for a week on the yampa. Same results.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Just an FYI, I just treated 4 pairs of long pants, and 4 long sleeves shirts each for the wife and I for our Africa trip. Mixed a 1% solution (from 10% stock) and used about 50 oz of 1% solution (or 5 oz of the stock.) I don't know if that is too much, too little or just right. I sprayed until the fabric was just wet through, but not dripping and left outside to dry. Had a bit of odor that night so aired them the second day and they are much better.Hopefully those little bastard tse tse flies don't thrive on permethrin.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I treated a pair of pants, a shirt, and my hammock before a 5 day trip down to the Weminuche where the black flies and, to a lesser extent, were out of control. The treatment, which was the Sawyer stuff from Wallyworld since I didn't have time to source the higher concentrated stuff, seemed to work ok but it wasn't the silver bullet I was hoping for. I thought it would keep the bugs away from me but all it did was keep them from biting the pants or the shirt so I still needed deet on my hands, neck, and ankles. Not saying it's not worth it, but I was expecting the bugs to run away screaming and instead they were just biding their time and waiting to eat me when they found a chink in the armor.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Bumping this thread again since I am going to Belize and forgot about this thread on my last trip there. I got eaten alive by those fuckin' mozzie there, so this trip I am treating some shirts and shorts, (too hot for long pants so I will have to use some DEET.)

It worked great in Africa since I did not contract any deadly vector borne diseases. The treatment protocol from Big Steve is super easy and super effective, and super cheap.

iscariot

Since this was bumped, anyone know the shelf life of Permethrin farm stuff? I bought some and never opened it and started mixing it maybe after this thread got bumped another time around. I'll have to get it out and see if any used by dates on it or what it says. But if anyone knows if I should dump the bottle and get some new next spring now probably?

Still using the Picaridin on my skin directly when I remember to grab it (hiking- mostly day hikes though recently or have it in the back of the car during the summer months for gatherings and concerts, etc.)

I'm still using the same bottle I bought back when I started the thread. Maybe a little weaker now...? But still seemed fairly effective in Ecuador this year.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Bumping this thread again since I am going to Belize and forgot about this thread on my last trip there. I got eaten alive by those fuckin' mozzie there, so this trip I am treating some shirts and shorts, (too hot for long pants so I will have to use some DEET.)

It worked great in Africa since I did not contract any deadly vector borne diseases. The treatment protocol from Big Steve is super easy and super effective, and super cheap.
    I’ve been to all sorts of tropical mosquito infested areas, but the only place where they really really bothered me was Belize. Like off the charts bad. I’d bring gasoline and a blowtorch. Hope they don’t get ya!

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I’ve been to all sorts of tropical mosquito infested areas, but the only place where they really really bothered me was Belize. Like off the charts bad. I’d bring gasoline and a blowtorch. Hope they don’t get ya!
    Interesting! I have been to a lot of buggy areas as well, and I am a mosquito magnet, but I agree, Belize is the worst. I will be upping my game this trip to try and stay ahead of them, hence the bug shirts.

iscariot