Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Nope, that definitely counts.

Well that's it.

I'm gettin a copy of catcher in the rye for my back pocket and I'm goin on a rampage. Nice knowin' y'all. I got somthin' I just gotta do...........
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Someone call UT Austin and tell them to close the clock tower.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post

And someone made jackets with big brand letters going over the shoulder a few years ago.
    This is trew

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Skiing obviously CAN be cheaper in terms of apparel. But you're looking at the upper end of bike crap, do the same for skiing. Them fur lined bogners ain't for everyone.

Plus, you'd be surprised at the number of bikers who think that high level of tech fabric junk applies to pedaling a bike around. You already know how to buy cheaper but not worse in quality ski clothes. You can do the same for bike stuff. And I still don't know of 700 dollar bike jacket.
    I was lumping in the overall cost of everything, not just clothes. Bikes are fucking ridiculous now. I always buy used bikes, but shit, for about $1600 you can have a quality set of skis/boots/bindings brand new. That's more like $6000+ for a bike that's comparable on the quality scale. And every time I crash skiing I just get back up, usually the same for bikes, but I also might need a new derailleur/tire/bar/crank blah blah for $70+ (I try not to crash much these days though).

Anyway, everything has its douchey uber expensive component. My other point is, there is no benefit to Bogner's shit over Arcteryx (which for me is still dumb expensive), there is a difference between a $2000 and $6000 bike.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

I just built a road bike for 5000. And, compared to what the other Fred's ride around here, it ain't much. Steel Ultegra.

I am shocked at the price of shorts this year. WTF? Even Performance crap is almost 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    I was lumping in the overall cost of everything, not just clothes. Bikes are fucking ridiculous now. I always buy used bikes, but shit, for about $1600 you can have a quality set of skis/boots/bindings brand new. That's more like $6000+ for a bike that's comparable on the quality scale. And every time I crash skiing I just get back up, usually the same for bikes, but I also might need a new derailleur/tire/bar/crank blah blah for $70+ (I try not to crash much these days though).

Anyway, everything has its douchey uber expensive component. My other point is, there is no benefit to Bogner's shit over Arcteryx (which for me is still dumb expensive), there is a difference between a $2000 and $6000 bike.
    For sure. Honestly the only reason I even mentioned skiing is because of where this bike clothing discussion is taking place

Skiing as an industry was honing in on the gucci decades before any bike industry. That's all. It's kind of weak to see it happening in bikes honestly.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

You guys worry about other people way too much.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    Yeah but most of those are one piece items. What's holding skiing back is the lack of places to put anodized screws. Maybe custom boot buckles and ladders, but then the cut of the pants needs changing so you can show off your special snowflakeness while on the tram dock.

And someone made jackets with big brand letters going over the shoulder a few years ago.
    meh, skiing's been fashionable for a long time. the whole fur-bogner thing is fashion skier's.

biking's about type-A asshole ceo's needing the best. that's a different thing, and one that sprocket rockets feeds right into. see the butthurt from certain quarters.

I just scored a new pair of stay dry Dickies shorts I am using for riding for 19 bucks. I'm also bringing back cotton t's. If you carry a light weight rain parka you are all good unless on a super epic. Cotton feels so awesome when it's hot and sunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I just built a road bike for 5000. And, compared to what the other Fred's ride around here, it ain't much. Steel Ultegra.

I am shocked at the price of shorts this year. WTF? Even Performance crap is almost 100.
    for five fuckin grand?

jeebus, thought i was splurging on the Benz, '99, for $7k....
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Custom, amigo.

huh, i have two pair or cheap rei shorts that are going on ten yrs old. washed and dried every time. one pair the crotch has a hole, but that's a bonus on these hot days. I have few other fox shorts that are more expensive and not as good.

Mtn biking is way more expensive than skiing...for me anyway. That might be a lie.

I had one pair of $50 rei shorts with liner for the first five years I rode. Can't wear them anymore because the snap broke.

To replace them I think I spent $50 each on separate chamois and short. So I need these to last 10 years...

I air dry most of my clothing these days.

A little off topic, last night my woman discovered that my chamois is in direct contact with the nether regions and it's not washed anywhere close to after every ride. Does anyone actually wash theirs between every ride or have enough to have a freshly washed one for every ride?

Quote Originally Posted by angry swede View Post
    A little off topic, last night my woman discovered that my chamois is in direct contact with the nether regions and it's not washed anywhere close to after every ride. Does anyone actually wash theirs between every ride or have enough to have a freshly washed one for every ride?
    I wear synthetic undies to ride (under armour or similar); they're very thin, feel better on my bits & pieces than direct contact with the chamois, and I have a few so that I don't have to wash the chamois every ride. That said, though, I do wash the bike shorts pretty regularly. If you have two solid biking shorts, you can wash them close to every ride without much trouble if you're biking 2-3 times per week.

And regarding expensive ski clothing: it makes sense to me that jackets/pants/etc. designed to keep you comfortable in sub-zero temps in snow and rain while venting sweat and not overheating would be expensive; that's some serious engineering and materials right there. Whereas I'm not sure why a short-sleeve cycling shirt, which is basically just thin synthetic fabric that only has to wick sweat away, needs to be $100.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

My REI shorts tore and never fit really well, so I just cut out the chamois because it's a nice one.
    I have a growing assortment of ripped and stained t shirts I ride in. Bike jerseys are retarded. I'm not gonna spend good money on clothing that is just gonna get ripped and stained. If you wanna get the lightest, tightest, most expensive shit, go right ahead, dork. And I will never get road biking. It's summer, so it's not like if you're clothing gets wet you'll freeze.
    No longer stuck.

Wait, what? You guys don't wash your shorts after every sweaty, ball-sack dripping ride? Are we conserving water, preserving the shorts or ultra lazy. Regardless, it's disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    You guys worry about other people way too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    ...Even Performance crap is almost 100.
    For every Assos and Rapha trotting out a $400 set of bibs or $280 Jersey, there's a Performance, Capo, and Hincapie thinking, "Holy fuck, Assos and Rapha just came out with a kit for almost $700...we can charge at least $350!!!"
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

WTF with all the fancy pants bike clothes?

By that logic, Deer Valley is epic.

I just got some athletic shorts from Walmart for $8 to wear over my undershorts that I have from shorts that have failed and cost way more.
    I do the same thing for trail riding. But I'll fork over $50 (sale) for burly fabric DH shorts when on DH-style trails. Much more durable for crashes, plus seems to save my skin better. Did a 30' power slide on my side in loose rock and gravel last weekend. Not a nick to show for it. I fucking love armor (and my full face - likely saved me from some nasty facial scars).
    Last edited by Lindahl; 07-02-2014 at 11:26 AM.

WTF with all the fancy pants bike clothes?

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Wait, what? You guys don't wash your shorts after every sweaty, ball-sack dripping ride? Are we conserving water, preserving the shorts or ultra lazy. Regardless, it's disgusting.
    Yeah, I am. I wash my bike clothes once a week and ride 6 days a week. My SS shirt of 3 years is getting really bad. Shuttled shirtless the other day to save my buddies from the stench. Probably time for a new one.
    Last edited by Lindahl; 07-02-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Yeah, I am. I wash my bike clothes once a week and ride 6 days a week. My SS shirt of 3 years is getting really bad. Shuttled shirtless the other day to save my buddies from the stench.
    Good way to lose friends. Nobody wants to ride in the funk.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Mostly laziness I suppose, get home from work->ride most nights of the week and it's food shower sleep. At least they dry out, they'd be damp the next day if I left them in the washer overnight. What do you do when on a bike/camp trip? Does a jump in the lake/river pass your wearable litmus test?

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    I do the same thing for trail riding. But I'll fork over $50 (sale) for burly fabric DH shorts when on DH-style trails. Much more durable for crashes, plus seems to save my skin better. Did a 30' power slide on my side in loose rock and gravel last weekend. Not a nick to show for it. I fucking love armor (and my full face - likely saved me from some nasty facial scars).
    Wowza!...
    No longer stuck.

I can't wear the diapers. I need to let em breathe when I ride. The diaper shorts aren't really needed, you can get used to riding without the padding.

Good God this took a grotee turn.

A few winters ago I was garage spinning in the same cheapo shorts, airing them out nightly, washing once a week. Got some nasty results in the bungholio region. Pearl Izumi Pro's in short or bib now, think I have 8 pairs, change daily, wash once a week, only air dry. I get them team discount so it helps. Say what you want, not going back...

pad pad pad pad