Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    I must have big balls or something because I really need to ride with a chamwow. It's not the padding, which is nice, but I really need my balls pulled up in there so I'm not squishing them. Sorry for the excess info. After the diaper, you really don't need technical clothing to enjoy riding a bike on a nice summer day.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Check out those Assos bibs then- for $834723 you get the "kuku penthouse", which is a place for your kuku- er- I mean ball.

I stopped riding with padded shorts about 6 years ago. I just can't, I'm a gnarly sweater down there and it felt gross. I like riding free now and it costs way less. My preferred shorts right now are some breathable Dickies that cost me 18 dollars. Honestly, I got used to having no padding and it hasn't been a problem other than some saddle butt if I haven't gone for a ride in few weeks. I also like to wear cotton t's when it's hot and there is no chance of precip. I'm with Kidwoo in the thinking that this whole thing with tech wear is a little over the top. You don't need a 400 dollar kit to go ride a bike, but if there is a market then it's going to be marketed.

i like riding in whatevs. yesterday was 20 degrees with snow and i rode in my carhartts rolled up a bit with boxer briefs, shoes n booties, long sleeve poly with a winter cycling jacket and heavy insulated work gloves. worked great and was comfy. when i was done all i had to do was change shoes and headed straight to work.

Up top I've given up caring too much but below the waist I think it's important things really fit right. I hate shorts hanging up on the seat or slipping down and just generally being in the way. I agree with stucky that keeping yourself all tucked in is a good thing too. I really like bib shorts so things don't move around too much.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    I stopped riding with padded shorts about 6 years ago. I just can't, I'm a gnarly sweater down there and it felt gross. I like riding free now and it costs way less. My preferred shorts right now are some breathable Dickies that cost me 18 dollars. Honestly, I got used to having no padding and it hasn't been a problem other than some saddle butt if I haven't gone for a ride in few weeks. I also like to wear cotton t's when it's hot and there is no chance of precip. I'm with Kidwoo in the thinking that this whole thing with tech wear is a little over the top. You don't need a 400 dollar kit to go ride a bike, but if there is a market then it's going to be marketed.
    It's just your ego bro. Your ego. Not pockets, not the idea of comfort and convenience, and still actually being clothed after you crash........nope..........all ego

http://www.peterverdone.com/?p=6464

That is quite possibly the funniest fucking blog I've seen in a long time. Dig around a little. Totally worth it.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    It's just your ego bro. Your ego. Not pockets, not the idea of comfort and convenience, and still actually being clothed after you crash........nope..........all ego

http://www.peterverdone.com/?p=6464

That is quite possibly the funniest fucking blog I've seen in a long time. Dig around a little. Totally worth it.
    This Peter Verdone guy is funny but just remember in all the enduro broness that, this guy is the majority of riders. Over inflated sense of skill, obsession with equipment to cure lack of ability, compulsive analysis of useless minutiae... you'll see this not so rare creature inhabiting NSMB, Pinkbike,Vital but of course they're most prevalent on MTBR and common in the western states

Hugh Conway Guest
    phew. thank god TGR is free of such creatures.

Yeah somehow just radgnar dentists here

Hugh Conway Guest
    well, we need people like you Lee to negotiate the difficult glacier of proper fashion and equipment, lest we fall into a crevasse of fashion faux pas. Is kidwoo making fun of the guy making fun of assholes in their clothing or not? Does anyone care?

edit: holy shit. kidwoo's railing on a dude in a ivory tower of cluelessness? what a mobius shitstrip of awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    This Peter Verdone guy is funny but just remember in all the enduro broness that, this guy is the majority of riders. Over inflated sense of skill, obsession with equipment to cure lack of ability, compulsive analysis of useless minutiae... you'll see this not so rare creature inhabiting NSMB, Pinkbike,Vital but of course they're most prevalent on MTBR and common in the western states
    You copy and paste this onto chaz's post or the other way around?

I can relate to the obsessing over minutia part (obviously). It's that guy's obvious hackery coupled with the grand proclamations..........holy shit it's awesome. That dude's a whole other level of ivory tower clueless. I mean, he goes outside and sees other people riding right? I guess it doesn't matter if you have that strong of a reality distortion bubble.

Either way. I'm a fan. Big time. That blog will remind me to keep hiding in the woods amongst peers.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I love Peter Verdon and the massacre of the Nomad someone loaned him. What is going on with this guy? Is it tongue in cheek, or is he really a curmudgeon?

Woo the paid by the post contract now is for TGR and for the crackbook.

HC I will do my level best to negotiate the bergschrund of beauty for all maggots. Next up enduro goggles

Hugh Conway Guest
    better clear that with your unobvious hack kidwoo.

Quote Originally Posted by juanbendedknee View Post
    is he really a curmudgeon?
    Did you see the 'alley oop' video? Totally pushing boundaries.

Oh man- I didn't see that there- I take it all back, he isn't a curmudgeon-

Nothing like shredding Marin with a "broadsword"- Pure downhill insanity.

I'm hoping Team Robot sorts this all out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    quite airtight on the category description and geographic distribution there, doc

I can say I "built" a bike that I "designed" if I play around on a simple program, choose some angles and dimensions and give them to a framebuilder, and then receive the frame and assemble it into a full bicycle. It's my way of suggesting that slapping tubes together is the idiot plumber's job, and the real science and physics of MTB are in who puts the parts together after the stupid frame is built.

Is it tongue in cheek, or is he really a curmudgeon?
    Interesting binary choice. "Curmudgeon" as a word must be a lot like "irony" as a word, now containing whatever meaning one desires regardless of its etymology.

If that shit's satire's weak tea sister (tongue-in-cheek), it's seriously humor-deficient and should get an infusion of mirth and merriment oriented nutrients stat!

What is not curmudgeonly about it? He has a decidedly idiosyncratic viewpoint on what should and should not "be" in the cycling world, bordering albeit, if not completely negative in its outlook- searching this minutiae for weakness.

Just to check and make sure I'm not crazy, I had to look it up. MW calls a curmudgeon: "a person (especially an old man) who is easily annoyed or angered and who often complains"

And the connotation of him being an old man speaks more to the creaky fossil who clearly doesn't seem to think Verdone is- Which shows your age, old man- and by inference- mine as well.

I'd love to read someone like Verdone knowing that he was simply a character, riffing off the folks who buy ti bolts for their Jeff Jones 36er fatbike with h-bars and S&S couplers.

Perhaps I am mistaken wholly, so to bring you merriment- I hereby offer to hem any downhill shorts to a length of your liking- no longer than 11.5" inseam- please.

Through the lens of being simply blown away by the absurdity, therein I may infer. Might you?

Hugh Conway Guest
    He has a decidedly idiosyncratic viewpoint on what should and should not "be" in the cycling world
    So do half the "leaders" on this forum. I get it your parsing with the cool kiddies. style wise he's not much different for the little I could stomach.

What is not curmudgeonly about it?
    I was talking about the options you gave, curmudgeon or tongue in cheek. He could be (or be doing) other things.

He goes out of his way to be part of what's hip & happening, from the techno-informed side of things, that's not curmudgeonly at all. You may be confusing curmudgeonly behavior (which he's not showing) and know-it-all behavior for the sake of online expertise (pretty much the essence). About the only thing I remember ever reading at pvd that was semi-curmudgeonly was his talk about suspension oils and how you can get the same under a different label at a motorcycle shop, he sounded like Andy Rooney whinging about Fox and RockShox relabeling. Like that's not done anywhere else in any industry. Maybe he'd like that early 80s thing of generic labeling.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    quite airtight on the category description and geographic distribution there, doc

I can say I "built" a bike that I "designed" if I play around on a simple program, choose some angles and dimensions and give them to a framebuilder, and then receive the frame and assemble it into a full bicycle. It's my way of suggesting that slapping tubes together is the idiot plumber's job, and the real science and physics of MTB are in who puts the parts together after the stupid frame is built.
    uhhhh PVD has welded up many many frames of his own design. He's been active in the steel frame building community for a LONG time. Worked at Fat Chance, designed the original IF disc dropouts, recently designed some disc dropouts for ti builders FireFly and Engin.

More importantly though, how tough you think his taint is?

On a scale of rose petal to beef jerky.

Speaking of know-it-all behavior...

Anyway- I'm going rose pedal +.

Back to diapers, if I may. I go without occasionally and it's not a big deal, but I prefer going with. In the cold months, I appreciate the extra bit of insulation. In the summer, the humidity here is out of control. Chafe has never been an issue for me, but soggy ass has, and the chamois is key in eliminating that. It also acts as a buffer allowing for cheap swim shorts over top. Any time you're dealing with cheap plastic clothing - rayon button-ups included - stench management must be taken into account..

I'm all wool everywhere else. Reasonably priced with the right deal on STP, no stench, great temp management...
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.