Japan Steep Clinics

Hey,

Anyone able to recommend a steeps clinic in Japan, something like Jackson Hole's S&D, Whistler's Extremely Canadian? I know some of the North American programs do week long trips, but I'm looking for something shorter 1-3 days and preferably local. I'm open to any of the Japan destinations, hoping to have 5 days to kill after some work in Tokyo in January.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    Jackson Hole's S&D, Whistler's Extremely Canadian?
    Nothing. No where in Japan has the inbounds steep terrain of JH. You have to go out of bounds for that (and Hakuba is where you want to be). In fact, inbounds terrain in Japan is not so compelling at all unless you like only moguls and trees. And no where in Japan has the professional guide quality of Extremely Canadian, though apparently there are more ACMG guides working full time in the Niseko area now, which is great news. And other professional guides are bringing tours to Japan, including Extremely Canadian it seems.
    Last edited by neck beard; 07-07-2014 at 06:18 PM.
    Life is not lift served.

Go to Europe or AK for a steeps camp. Go to Japan to ski tits deep pow in the trees.

I haven't done it, but the Mushroom Tour here sounds good: http://blackdiamondtours.com/tours-backcountry.html

Jesus, 5 days free time in Japan and dude is thinking about a clinic?
    Get some fat skis and follow the pow!!!

jealous.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Thanks for the responses! I'll narrow my request a bit, never been to Japan, don't speak Japanese, the gf and I will have 5 days max and don't want to waste any getting to know where we should have been day 1. Any clinics/guides, tours etc that you recommend for getting and keeping us in the tits deep? Basically, if you had 5 days, didn't want to waste one - who would you spend it skiing with in Japan.
    '

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    Thanks for the responses! I'll narrow my request a bit, never been to Japan, don't speak Japanese, the gf and I will have 5 days max and don't want to waste any getting to know where we should have been day 1. Any clinics/guides, tours etc that you recommend for getting and keeping us in the tits deep? Basically, if you had 5 days, didn't want to waste one - who would you spend it skiing with in Japan.
    '
    If you take the private guide path, it will always be expensive. But you get way more out of it v.s joining pre-set tours with a group of 10.

If you want to go private, I can put you onto a Japanese guide in Hakuba with very good experience and who is on the professional guide path. He's a good man, and speaks English.

And genuinely, if you prefer steeper terrain (always subject to conditions) then Hakuba is pretty much the only place in Japan where you will find a confluence of easy access steeps, tourist town convenience, English speaking guides and which is 3-4 hours from Tokyo. Disclosure: I have close association with Hakuba, so could be accused of bias. The downside to Hakuba is that most of the good inbounds terrain is shut. Some is open and very crowded and no responsible local guide will take you into the very access side country terrain by ducking a rope and breaking local rules. Hakuba = hiking to some degree if you want to make to most of conditions safely.

If you want guided resort access powder play, Niseko probably has a more options, but it requires a flight out of Tokyo and has very limited terrain options.
    Life is not lift served.

Neckbeard has it. Japan isn't your place for steeps.
    The supposedly best place for terrain is Hakuba but I was surprised how mellow the inbounds is, even for the 1998 Olympic Games runs.

Damien is a Hakuba guide who knows his stuff http://www.hakuba-alpine-guides.com/...japan/about-us
    And Extremely Canadian do a Niseko tour for a mere $4k, but it's a bargain as that's CAD... http://www.extremelycanadian.com/world-ski-tours/niseko

Contrary to popular belief there is some decent lift accessed steep skiing available on Honshu and Hokkaido. No, it's not Jackson hole but Kurodake in Hokkaido for example has steep, technical tree skiing and alpine touring. The best part is that you don't have to feel stressed that it's going to all be shredded an hour after opening. It also has huge unmarked and unpatrolled cliffs, so use a guide if you are not comfortable with the idea of self rescue. Tenjindaira on Honshu has some nutty stuff too. People come to Hokkaido for consistent, relentless top to bottom powder. No one said Hokkaido was the steepest, but MANY have said it was the deepest.
    Black Diamond Tours offers many different tours and yes, the mushroom trip is a blast. Our guides are qualified for the tours we assign them. Check out the guide bio's if you have any concerns.
    Hokkaido Backcountry Club offers heli, cat and sled skiing. The heli access is the steepest and most challenging terrain in the Niseko area. Of course HBC guides are also qualified and are experienced heli and cat guides.
    I have been living in Hokkaido full time for over 16 years and many of our guides have been here for over 10. Would you rather go on a tour from a company who visits here once a year or one that actually knows the area, speaks the language (not all of our guides can and can handle any emergency with speed and care? While I have no doubt that an IMFGA guide can safely guide their clients on any mountain, without local knowledge you will not be skiing the best runs the most efficiently and in my opinion, you will only get half the experience you hoped for. Also if and when there was a real emergency, how would those guides communicate necessary and vital information?
    Support local business, it benefits the local economy and there are qualified companies. Hokkaido Powder Guides is another.
    www.bdlodge.com
    www.blackdiamondtours.com
    www.hokkaidobackcountry.com
    www.nisekoauto.com
    Last edited by BDLodge; 07-17-2014 at 10:06 PM.

Satisfied guest's edit

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-02-04 11.18.39.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	156833
    the mountain