Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best snowfalls in a decade forecast for eastern Australia.

If youre missing snow already, seems down under is about to be snowed under.

Good pictures and video in link.

"Best snowfalls in a decade forecast for eastern Australia. Strap yourselves in for the megablizzard"

http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel...-1226963855196

IT’S here. The megablizzard. Snowpocalypse now. This baby has been on the weather charts all week and it’s howling its way through the Australian Alps as you read this.
    Experienced weather watchers are calling it the storm of the century. They’re saying it could snow on and off, but mostly on, for the next 10 days.

And now the megablizzard has arrived. The NSW resorts of Thredbo and Perisher received 40cm and 50cm respectively overnight. Hotham, Falls Creek and Mt Buller (pictured below) in Victoria all reported similar totals.

A spokesman for Thredbo confirmed to news.com.au that as of about 3.30pm, 80cm of snow had now fallen in the past 24 hours.

“It’s an incredible amount for June, I’m not sure it’s a record, but it has set us up for the rest of the season,” he said.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Good for them.

Still going too. I'm surprised more Aussies aren't on here celebrating...

and in a week or 2 the snow report will say ...

" its a perfect day with 11cm of fresh and lovely warm temp getting up to +3 by lunch time"

I'm not there for a reason ... hope I'm wrong ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

let me just add ...

thredbo ...

$110 per day ...
    $1499 season pass ...

perisher ...

$120 per day ...
    $1549 season pass ...

yes it includes taxes, dollar for dollar is similar and ozy dollar is slightly cheaper by about 10% ...

BUT FARK THAT SHIT !!!

go to the land of the long silver cloud ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Enjoy all that snow, hope it just keeps coming for you.

Nice! Git some. So is Aussie skiing like skiing in Pennsylvania? There but usually shitty?

Australia and New Zealand getting along as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    and in a week or 2 the snow report will say ...

" its a perfect day with 11cm of fresh and lovely warm temp getting up to +3 by lunch time"

I'm not there for a reason ... hope I'm wrong ...
    Quoted for truth. I lived there for 6 years. I was there during a year they considered one of their best. It sucked. With the cost and time to get to the weak snowfields of Australia, mine as well just go to NZ in my opinion...

I grew up there, did my first 15 years of skiing there, and can well attest to how truly crap the Aussie ski slopes are. But, you've got to make the best of what you have if you're going to get some turns, so you deal with the crap. There's frozen white stuff on the ground, just enough pitch on some (supposed) slopes for gravity to take effect, so you click in and have a crack.

It sucks, every day is gaper day, and the ski hill operators gouge your pocket ever step of the way. But, it's better than not skiing isn't it?

I scored a Canuck bird and moved to BC never to look back at that Aussie ski junk ever again. If you're stuck there, though, you may as well bang on about this storm of the century and get down to Thredders for the only decent 4/5 days of the winter. All of my gaper mates are getting it. Good on em.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Cartel View Post
    I grew up there, did my first 15 years of skiing there, and can well attest to how truly crap the Aussie ski slopes are.
    For every rule, there's always an exception

now that is phat !!!

coz pic's usually make shit look flat or lame ...

and wot ever happened to Carve Dog ???

he was from Buller if I remember correctly. did he move on to greener pastures ??? or dry dessert pastures ???

either way, where is that guy ???

Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    let me just add ...

thredbo ...

$110 per day ...
    $1499 season pass ...

perisher ...

$120 per day ...
    $1549 season pass ...

yes it includes taxes, dollar for dollar is similar and ozy dollar is slightly cheaper by about 10% ...

BUT FARK THAT SHIT !!!

go to the land of the long silver cloud ...
    To be fair minimum wage there is like $15/hr
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by Feathertop View Post
    For every rule, there's always an exception
    Can't argue with that image. I stand corrected.

At least on the day that shot was taken.

Yeah slopes here are shit hey... Totally flat...

http://www.ozbc.net/nsw_crags.htm

This is a short hike from a major resort

well .. that shit does look phat !!!

however ...

Am i skiiing to below snow line ??? coz thats gay! kinda like old zealnd gay snow line n shit ...

his blog keeps making referances to early season snow pack(with phat pic's) or good snow year ...

I'm thinking its like that cragy-thingy in wales ...

its PHAT !!! but not very farkin often ...

but maybe one day I'll check it out n post n stoke about it eh ...

Not sure how you can ski to below the snow line. That's called walking. Anyway, snow depth and quality is obviously not as reliable as it is in North America, but that's a given.

Point is; it might not be the Rocky Mountains but there's still some awesome slopes. Only those who haven't bothered to look will tell you otherwise.
    Last edited by Ggreenie; 07-07-2014 at 11:11 PM.

I have some friends from down under sharing around a recent trip report from the Crags and commenting how they have been waiting for years for the place to have quality skiing/snowboarding. So it's definetly a nice place and it's there, but this conditions are only once in a while. Not to bash or anything and I hope all the aussies and the snow loving dudes(dudetes) stuck there have an awesome season. Any skiing/snowboarding is better than none at all. Hell, I was even thinking about going to the indoor refrigerators while I was stuck in London for most of the past winter...

Sorry not sorry ...

It has its moments, for sure.

But, more often, the snow pack looks like this mid-winter.

http://www.powder.com/videos/glacier-season/

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Cartel View Post
    It has its moments, for sure.

But, more often, the snow pack looks like this mid-winter.

http://www.powder.com/videos/glacier-season/
    And the mountains are flat right? Well we've proven that one wrong...

Where did you say you skied in aus?
    Mt Baw Baw I'm guessing.

Please feel free to stay at home, meanwhile I'll be here, um yeah it's Australia.

Yes greenie, you're very perceptive. Baw Baw and Selwyn. I rip blue groomers all day in my 1992 yellow North Face fart bag. Why do you ask?

You're right, Feathertop is mounting a strong argument with his BC photos, so I'll stop taking cheap shots at Aus mountains, and shut up. I admit it looks steeper out there than I imagined it might be from skiing Thredbo, Perisher or anything the NSW resorts have to offer.

How's the spring skiing (i.e. October) skiing in these places? I might find myself with some serious time....

Not worth coming to from the northern hemisphere, try NZ glacier country in October