clutch derailleur questions

I'm thinking about going clutched but then I look at the price and think perhaps not.

I'm wondering though, the derailleur moves however far the shifter tells it to so it shouldn't matter how many speeds I'm running the shifter should move to the right spot. Unless? The ratio of cable pull to derailleur movement is shifter/derailleur specific? Can you mix and match Shitmano and SRAM?

If I'm running 8 speed will the chain fit through the cage?

"8 speed? Who the fuck still runs that?" I hear you say. Me, and if I could get a three speed hammershit like crank I'd go 3x1.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

You can't mix and match Shimano/Sram when it comes to rear derailleurs and shifters.
    You also can't use a 10sp clutch derailleur with an old 8sp system. It just won't work.
    Come on, mang, everyone knows this.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

clutch is 10 speed only, so you need a 10 speed chain, casette, shifter, AND derailer. If you are replacing that much, replace the rings too.

If you are replacing that much replace the bike and get everthing modern.

Internet reading seems to indicate a shimano 10-speed RD combined with a sram 8- or 9-speed shifter will work with a small shim (6mm) between the cable and clamp to alter the pull-ratio, and the 8-speed chain will still fit through the jockey wheels.

some pictures here:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/to...h-will-it-work
    Last edited by jamal; 06-23-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    If you are replacing that much replace the bike and get everthing modern.
    Um, no. I just replaced my 9 speed drivetrain (crank and BB included) with new X7/X9 10 speed with a clutch derailleur for around $420. Yeah, definitely worth buying a whole new bike over
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

I saw something indicating the spacer worked for 9 speed but I hadn't seen that it worked for 8. I might have to try it. $65 for a shitmano m670 slx 10 sp RD, if it works, great. If not, chuck it in the spate parts bin.

I can't justify $500 to convert. The bike is new (1yo now) that a guy built using good spec parts, he had a new 8sp xo shifter so he matched the rest of the drivetrain to it. On his first ride he busted his collar bone, that was when I swooped in like vulture.

I'm running a 10 spd clutched Shimano with a 9 speed Sram drivetrain (aka Sramano), and it works quite well. I cannot comment directly on the 8 speed, but if the internet says so, it must be true. The clutched derailleur is really nice. I have heard a number of complaints about the Sram 10 speed clutched derailleurs. A few friends complaining about crappy shifting.

Look around for deals, you can get a kickass 10-spd setup WAY cheaper than $500:

SLX Shadow+ RD: $65 (or XT for $80)
    SRAM 1030 powerlink chain: $20
    SLX 10-spd cassette: $50
    Shimano Zee Shifter (same as SLX but better IMO): $30
    Cable housing: $15
    Total: $180

Throw in a RaceFace Narrow Wide 30t or 32t- assuming your crankset can handle it- if you want to go 1x10 for an add'l $40.

What he said, except the new Deore Shadow+ is cheaper, no?

also check out the zee derailleur if you go 1x10. No need for a longer cage if you're going 1x. Also available for about 60 via chain reaction (or get backcountry to match)
    I wear crocs for the style, not the comfort.

I run a 10 speed slx clutch with spacer with SRAM 9 speed shifters, works perfect for me and many of my friends. Have never heard of it working with 8 speed though.

Quote Originally Posted by jamal View Post
    Internet reading seems to indicate a shimano 10-speed RD combined with a sram 8- or 9-speed shifter will work with a small shim (6mm) between the cable and clamp to alter the pull-ratio....
    has worked like a champ for me with one of big ted's machined shims. 2013 XT Shadow+ with 2008ish SRAM X-9 shifter. 9 spd KMC chain, 9 spd RaceFace 24/36 rings, 9 spd SRAM 11-34 cassette. not even a hint of an issue over lots of hours/miles. replaced 2009ish SRAM X-9 rear der + Blackspire Stinger and don't miss the tensioner.

but you should listen to stuckie instead. he's the expert here.