Red face I think I would like to go 1xX, but I have a few dumb questions.

Whats the ring in the front called? Is it a Chainring? What are the ones in the back called? I have stache 7 it has Race Face Ride, 38/24 w/turbine outer ring would this just bolt on? Then in the back would I just add a bigger ring (gear 40T)? Are those bolt on parts?
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Chainrings up front. Cassette cogs in the back. Lots of mixed experiences being reported with the aftermarket 40T cogs and it seems like they are not the most straightforward things to setup. If you had to ask any of these questions, you should probably stay away and stick with the 11-36 cassette you have now. Unless you have a shop that you really like working with, then go ahead and report back. Otherwise choose a chainring size based on the terrain you ride. The Race Face narrow/wide chainrings go as low as 30T. Start there if you spend a lot of time in your 24T chainring currently. Or go for a bigger ring if you're worried about spinning out.

Those are pretty dumb questions.

Told you............
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander#2 View Post
    Those are pretty dumb questions.
    Tuck was running 14 psi in his tires and didn't know why he was getting flats all the time. Dude bought a bike and apparently rides it a lot so he gets credit for that, but he has shown no desire or willingness to educate himself in the slightest about how his bike works. Search for threads he has started in Sprockets, constant facepalm.

Tuck - If you are asking questions like this the only way you should go 1x is to just stop using your front derailleur.

the nice response would be... success with 1x10 seems to be mixed. It can require lots of fiddling to get it to work (even then it doesn't always work as well as 2x10). If you're not comfortable with fiddly bike maintenance, probably not recommended, unless you want to spring the $$$$$$$ for sram 1 x 11.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    I have a few dumb questions
    no such thing as a dumb question. but there sure are a lot of curious idiots out there.....

or wait for next season, and get the shimano 11/40, 11 speed option. at least you dont need a new freehub.

The easy / cheap conversion is to just get a narrow/wide chainring and leave the cassette alone. I'm running a 30T chainring with a 11/36 cassette and it works great.

The chainring you linked to is a direct replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Tuck was running 14 psi in his tires and didn't know why he was getting flats all the time. Dude bought a bike and apparently rides it a lot so he gets credit for that, but he has shown no desire or willingness to educate himself in the slightest about how his bike works. Search for threads he has started in Sprockets, constant facepalm.
    Yeah well bikes are hard but riding is fun. I hate shifting the front derailleur.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    The easy / cheap conversion is to just get a narrow/wide chainring and leave the cassette alone. I'm running a 30T chainring with a 11/36 cassette and it works great.

The chainring you linked to is a direct replacement.
    I'm doing this conversion on one of my wife's bikes today. Actually going single speed but with narrow wide 30 tooth so one by nine or ten will be an easy swap in if she gets sick of single speeding it.

I wouldn't screw around with swapping out cassette parts to get the forty tooth cog unless you really enjoy fidgeting with your derailleur.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Yeah well bikes are hard but riding is fun. I hate shifting the front derailleur.
    Pedal faster and time your shifts better. Really not a big deal.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Do you even fucking ride a bike?(dont feed the trolls)

You're the dude who has yet to find himself a tire that makes you not suck at life, correct?

My shifting works. I just overgeek on tires. And captains are a mediocre rear tire, but we just got so much rain, it kinda works.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Do you even fucking ride a bike?(dont feed the trolls)
    Bro, do you even lift?
    No longer stuck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	South-Park-WoW-Guy.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	156345
    RESPECT mah TeeGeeAre authoriTAY!

Bro, do you even lift?
    Attachment 156346
    I lift my fingertips from the keys countless times a day!

Stuckboy thinks he's Adam Sandler, playing The Waterboy.

Are you still trying to ride with 50 psi in your tires stucky? If so, this may explain your difficulty finding a tire that works...Just throwin it out there.

32 and 35, or there abouts.
    No longer stuck.