Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    I don't necessarily want to, more can't help it.
    You're a reading addict? Get help, man!

Put Trinity aside for later. A trip to the library today. Starting Kevin Starr's multi-volume history of California.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I've never understood how people can read more than one book at once--or why they would want to.
    I've usually got two or three books going at any given time. When one starts to lose my interest, I open another one. After a few days away, the first one can be more compelling.

Into the Silence: The Great War, Mallory, and the Conquest of Everest

A whole lotta book, but worth the effort.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

I read that a month or so ago. Very good.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Hugh Conway Guest
    "the fall" simon mawer
    some JOhn macdonald pulp
    David Pye on workmanship

mostly at the same time.

Just finished a couple more that were worthwhile. The Son by Phillip Meyer, and The Son by Jo Nesbo (I sense a theme...). Nesbo was decent, and got better with time, but I thoroughly enjoyed Meyers. Both very different books. Also finished All the Light You Cannot See last night, and that was fantastic. Someone else mentioned it, I think, and I would highly recommend it too.

Just finished "Flashforward". It's OK. I really can't believe they made a TV show out of it (thought the same thing about "Under the Dome"). Actually, I had the same problem with both books - very interesting premise, a good first 100 pages or so, but it's like they flat had no idea how to end the book.

Finally read the "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy. That was pretty good. It seemed to lose steam as the series went on. Also finally read "Wool" - that one I highly recommend.

Also highly recommend Goodreads. It's a website and an app that recommends books based on what you've read, what rating you give it, and what you show interest in reading. I spent my lunch hour today just picking through recommendations. It's nice that e-books never really took off and books in print are still alive and well.

You're a reading addict? Get help, man!
    Even worse- I'm an English teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by boarddad View Post
    Finally read the "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy. That was pretty good. It seemed to lose steam as the series went on.
    I really liked it. I thought it bogged down a little in the middle, but picked up again nicely toward the end. It was surprising to me it was so popular. Not exactly light reading.

^^Those girl with dragon tattoo books are GREAT on audio book too. I felt like I finally put all the characters together

Thanks for all the good book rec's guy. I've only recently been discovering all the great rec's for good netflix, books etc here.... And to think I used to come here for skiing only!
    Second the Power of One- read that a few yrs ago but it's one of my favorites and those turned off by the self-helpy title, it's not what you think. think boxing.
    Also read unbroken this summer and loved it bc I felt like I really missed out on learning about the japanese side of WWII in school- as crazy as that is. Holy shit now whenever I *think* about complaining about my job or anything really, I just think about pow's.
    Also recently read The Rise of Superman- excellent read and very applicable to the people here on tgr.

I'm on a good one right now: "One Summer: America 1927" by Bill Bryson. If you're a fan of his other work you'll enjoy this one, too.

Yes! I LOVED 1927 too- so good. Have you read his other one At Home? another one that was way more interesting than the title suggests

Quote Originally Posted by baby bear View Post
    YHave you read his other one At Home? another one that was way more interesting than the title suggests
    Yes, read it and agree. He has a knack for making just about anything interesting.

totally. Have to say I didn't love A walk in the woods as much as his others and I think that is his most famous?
    I wish Bryson would start a new history curriculum bc I think I would have retained so much more had it been taught in an interesting context like how he tells it

I read a lot of Vietnam and WW II books.

With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge is about the best wartime novel I have ever read. Really graphic though. Certainly does not glorify war in any way. Takes place in Okinawa and Peleliu. I too knew nothing about the Pacific part of WW II. This book really made me glad my grandfather was in France.

As far as Bill Bryson goes, I loved In a Sunburned Country.

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge is about the best wartime novel I have ever read.
    Awesome book, but not a novel. It's non-fiction.

There were a lot of parts I wished were fiction. But yes, it was non-fiction.

Telegraph Avenue by Michael Chabon is a fun, wild read. He's one of the best out there, he writes sentences I'll go back and read multiple times.

Rachel Kushner's The Flamethrowers has proven to be really strong so far. The characters are fully formed, vibrant, and intelligent.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    the emerald mile
    was one of the best reads ive read
    from the history of Powell and early river runners, the sierras club battle for dinosaur to the history and characters of the making of the river running industry
    to 3 badaases speed run of the grandest river journey.
    well written
    Sounds great. It's on the list.
    Thanks for recommending - what an awesome book.

Seabiscuit - can't believe how riveting a book it was for a first time author.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Good Afternoon Gentlemen, The Name's Bill Gardner... Bill Gardner & Cass Pennant

Empire of the summer moon - story of the Comanches and the final 30 years of them holding onto the last real wilderness of a young nation.
    Fascinating how the Indians, Comanches in particular, learned their horsecraft from the Spaniards and took it to a whole different level
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by butterscotch View Post
    I'm nearly done with Inifinite Jest . Amazing book, but not a "summer read".
    Sometimes so much density it seems best saved for the long nights of winter.

A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again is the summer-read version of DFW.

If you like the absurdist angle of Wallace's work, you may like Mark Leyner - Et Tu, Babe, and a more page-turny and even lighter version might be Carl Hiaasen's Sick Puppy.

John Saturnall's Feast is one that stuck out...I'm not bothering to remember titles, just the stories...
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<