My Computer Seems to Forget What I've Read...

There are some threads that, for some reason, I always get taken to the same "new" post, even though they're not new anymore. For instance, in the World Cup thread (https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...2014?p=4263301), when I click on the "go to first new post" button, I get sent to page 9, even though I've read through page 9. What makes it weird, is that other threads never display this behavior.

I've sort of figured a sort-of-workaround, which is to mark all forums read, log out, log in, and start "fresh", but the problem pops up again pretty quickly. It used to do this even before the upgrade, so I don't think it's necessarily related, but it's gotten more frustrating over time.

EDIT: it seems that once it starts to happen, it sort of "freezes" a bunch of threads - in other words there are other threads besides the WC one, where whenever I go to the "first new" post, I get whatever was the first new post at around the same time as the first new post in the WC thread. Threads that are new since then, seem to behave better.

Windows 7, Chrome.

I guess I should try testing a few other browsers before I discount the possibility that it's my browser f'ing up, but I figured I'd see if anyone else has the same issue.

Hugh Conway Guest
    I think this is the same, long running, issue with longer threads, because I have the problem, and have had it for a long time. Happens in Chrome and Firefox., safari as well. The WC thread, snow for the euros, padded room thread of junk

I thought maybe it was just the big threads, but I'm now seeing (or noticing, anyway) the same thing on short threads like SOB's Management thread, which was just started today and has maybe 4 pages so far. I get taken back to page 1 every time. For a fast-moving thread (like the WC one), it's a massive PITA.

this has happened to me for a long time, on many threads. Occasionally, though, something happens and it remembers I've read stuff, ie suddenly I have a new starting point.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Logging it! Have been having a similar issue myself mostly with the Tapatalk, in that it will always go to the 2nd to newest page and not the newest page.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

I thought I'd add a little more detail.

If I "mark forums read" (using the menu), then, until the next time I do that, I am always taken to the post in a thread that was newest when I marked them read. If a new thread is started after that, I'll just go to the first post in the thread. Also, the threads themselves show the "unread posts" icon, even if I've read everything in the thread.

Logging out doesn't do anything. It's only when I mark forums read that I can move my placeholder in the threads.

This happens to me on a bunch of threads as well. It has to be a backend issue, because it happens on desktop, in Tappatalk and in the TGR app. Takes me to the same post, then I have to refresh the feed in order to see anything new from my last visit.

Major PITA for some threads. I've switched to "Last Post" for now, but that's barely better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Logging it! Have been having a similar issue myself mostly with the Tapatalk, in that it will always go to the 2nd to newest page and not the newest page.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phildo_Baggins View Post
    Takes me to the same post, then I have to refresh the feed in order to see anything new from my last visit.
    happened to me yesterday on the mobile beta. I could see there were six new posts, but it kept taking me back to where i had been before. Didn't try to refresh feed, but bet that would have fixed it...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's