Root Canal Failure?

Anyone have any advice on a possible root canal failure? I had a front tooth (can't remember which one, I think it is the same one as what hurts now) root canal almost 15 years ago after some trauma. Recently I have noticed a small amount of movement in what I think is the same tooth and I have had worsening irritation and minor pain. Sensitive at the gumline and to pressure (IE biting an apple).

I have an appointment scheduled 2 weeks from now for a general cleaning, x-rays blah blah blah.

It could be a cavity, but I have never had one so I don't know what that would feel like.

Do I need to try and get into a endodontist earlier? I would like to avoid an infection if that is what is headed my way.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

get to a dentist ASAP, you do not want that to have an abscess. Then you are talking oral surgery.

Tech talk bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

another thing, if you have decay in that tooth and they goto drill it out and it is too fargone, then you will be looking at an implant which i just had. $4k-$5k and it takes almost 9 months to complete.

Don't wait for cleaning appointment. Doctor won't have the time booked to carefully evaluate--and you may need xrays which they haven't allotted time for. I don't know about your dentist, but my dentist isn't always in the office during my cleaning appointments.

Thanks,

I have an appointment booked with an endodontist on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    another thing, if you have decay in that tooth and they goto drill it out and it is too fargone, then you will be looking at an implant which i just had. $4k-$5k and it takes almost 9 months to complete.
    Looks like this is my future. Yay.

Char, sorry. I feel your pain. It could be worse. Had you waited, could have resulted in Jaw Surgery for an absyys.
    The worst thing about this for me, is i have this unbelievable fear of the dentist. So i went twilight drugs for the extraction and the post. Didn't hurt one bit but cost an extra 500 per procedure.
    All the best and sorry. That blows.

In case anyone cares. Implant to fake tooth was 3 months. Relatively painless, got knocked out for the actual implant installation. The cost estimate upthread was dead on in terms of out of pocket with some of it covered by insurance.

Glad I didn't wait as I had resorption occurring that had it progressed would have resulted in bone grafts. The irritation was from a minor gum infection where the tooth was resorbing (?) and had a hole in it.