fake "view new message" advert to install a toolbar

So now you have a fake "NEW MESSAGE ALERT' which wants to install a toolbar. I hope they are paying you enough to make this embarrassment necessary.
    picador

what/where are you talking about??
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

There was an white envelope with a red 1 in the upper L corner in the right margin when I signed in .It said you have a message.
    When clicked on it wanted to install a toolbar to get to the message.

It is gone now.Thanks
    picador

^^^ i got the same thing.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Ditto

Hugh Conway Guest
    me four..

Are you talking mobile? Because I get those all the time in all kinds of apps. But I wouldn't know on a computer since I use an Adblocker.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Are you talking mobile? Because I get those all the time in all kinds of apps. But I wouldn't know on a computer since I use an Adblocker.
    Saw it on my PC today, right in the middle, top. Weird.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Saw it on my PC today, right in the middle, top. Weird.
    Weird. I saw a mormon church one on Fark the other day. There is a "report ad" button I clicked with a reason and they responded saying they had no control other than broad ad comany standards. They only blocked racist or autoplay ads, but anything else from the company was fair game. Not sure really how different internet ads work, but it seems like it isn't something they directly ask for, its part of the broader company itself.

Hugh Conway Guest
    just got it right now, looks like this http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com...72418590782344

It isn't anything new. It's been here for days. I fell for it too. #bullshit
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    just got it right now, looks like this http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com...72418590782344
    thanks HC

oops. it came back when I disabled my Firefox add-ons,along with tons of other crap.Good argument for all the blockers
    picador

Quote Originally Posted by jon gaper View Post
    oops. it came back when I disabled my Firefox add-ons,along with tons of other crap.Good argument for all the blockers
    Also a good argument for reverting to a few versions ago when the forum worked well.

Is this just showing up as a banner ad for people, or is it when you go to a specific part of the forums or your profile or something?
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Welcome to the internet. Those ads have only been around for about... oh... 15 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Is this just showing up as a banner ad for people, or is it when you go to a specific part of the forums or your profile or something?
    Ryan, if by banner ad you mean top of the page, then yes it's a banner ad. It appeared when I opened in "new posts."
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Quote Originally Posted by HansJob View Post
    Ryan, if by banner ad you mean top of the page, then yes it's a banner ad. It appeared when I opened in "new posts."
    Okay cool. Loggin' it. I'd suggest Adblocker in the interim...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Might I suggest in the future that when stuff like this comes up in the future, people take screenshots of it and post it with their symptoms. Then the web guys actually know what you're seeing. If you don't know how to do that and you have Windows, you can use the Snipping Tool (7, maybe Vista, and higher), or just press the Prt Scr button next to F12 on your keyboard. Open up Paint and press Ctrl V. Annotate, size, or edit however/if you want. Save as a jpg.
    You're welcome.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Okay cool. Loggin' it. I'd suggest Adblocker in the interim...
    I wouldn't let "he-who-cant-be-named-or-he-will-break-silence-and-say-i'm-lying" see that suggestion. He flipped the fuck out on me as an admin suggesting that and R.I.P.