Summer steelhead in OR and WA

In a few weeks I'm going to take my time making the drive from UT to Whistler. And then about a month later I'll do the same in reverse. I know very little about stealhead but I do know that I want to see if I can catch some. I've found a few things on the internet that mention a summer run of steelhead in the northwest. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some good areas or rivers to have on my radar as well as timing and maybe guides recommendations. It sounds like later in the summer is best so it might be better to focus on the steelhead on my return trip back to UT?

The runs out of the Puget Sound are pretty weak.
    Your best bet is hitting some of the runs out of the Columbia in the following feeder rivers: Deschutes, Hood River, White Salmon River, Cowlitz, Grande Ronde, etc.

An interesting trip is to follow the Deschutes up from the Columbia and hit a bunch of itr, then break off around Madras to head up past Lake Billy Chinook to check out the Metolius. A beautiful area with some incredible hog trout. The hatchery is worth a visit there then head around the Cascade Lakes loop from Bend to check out HOsmer Lake that holds Atlantic salmon.
    Last edited by Buster Highmen; 06-10-2014 at 10:06 AM.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

that trip could work out really well, the Metolius is also on my to-do list to try and go after some bull trout. Thanks for the info!

Can't help you with summer runs as I've never chased 'em but if you're looking for some other opps I'd check out the sea runs on the Sound/Canal. My guess is you've got enough small creek/trout opportunities where you're at so won't suggest any of those, but it could be worth checking out the Canuckistan portion of the Skagit. Was a TR on this site a year or so back that made it look way unlike the Skagit I know.
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

That was my TR. You should definitely check it out, I'm not sure I'll make it back on this trip but I'd have no problem going back to fish that river.

Hugh Conway Guest
    it's a nice way to stand in some cool water on a hot day, but as fishing goes, summer steelheadings pretty fucking pointless around there. Bike up the Deschutes.

You're the second person who's suggested doing exactly that, I think I'm gonna have to give it a try.

Deschutes for sure. Or head down to the North Ump or Rogue. Those would be your best bets that early. Rhonde doesn't start till Spetember, Cowlitz, Kalama, etc are full of tweakers.

North Umpqua in July would be a very cool place to go...even if the summers aren't in there, it's a gorgeous historic river. Plus you could ride the NUT as well.

I know nussing about zee Deschoots
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Hugh Conway Guest
    to be a true PNWer you've got to bring a knife so you can clip the fin from the native and keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    to be a true PNWer you've got to bring a knife so you can clip the fin from the native and keep it.
    Hehe. Nice one.

OK, so I wasn't totally truthful. I know a thing or two about steelhead in OR.

Kwikfish, mag lips, cured coon shrimp, and a corkie.

you can thank me later.
    You know what to do

I dont' know what any of those are but I have 3 fly boxes full of pink worms. I think I'm ready.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    I dont' know what any of those are but I have 3 fly boxes full of pink worms. I think I'm ready.

Lucky man.
    I've only got 1 box and 1 pink worm but I'm OK with that.

The Steamboat Inn (on the Umpqua) is way cool too.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

For riding you may want to check the McKenzie River Trail, Lewis River Trail and Ape Canyon. For the McKenzie dunno what the fishing opps are there, if any, but the Lewis and it's feeder creeks can be fun for trout.
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

The willamette actually in Eugene actually can hold quite a few summer runs. Lots of fly shops in that part of the country to set you strait. The fly fishers place in sisters, and the caddis fly in Eugene come to mind.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Dfinn, here's a website that might help. In general, OR was far, far ahead of WA in terms of protecting runs of steelhead. The WA way was to argue for decades over who got to kill the last steelhead in the river. OR rivers are also much more accessable. Summer runs just aren't very dense compared to winter runs, so your odds of finding fish....well, it ain't easy like timing winter runs off the rains. Make sure you know what poison oak looks like. Really, really awful stuff and damn plentiful along the rivers.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/rr/northwest/

thanks everyone. I think I've got a pretty solid plan in place. I've got a few locations picked out that I'm gonna hit and I've also got a guide booked for the first weekend in August. Pretty fired up to hopefully hook into one of these for the first time. Will post pics.

Dfinn = chrome cherry popped!
    You know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    Dfinn = chrome cherry popped!
    I heard that rumor, congrats Dfinn!
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

I officially have a new addiction.

Bumping this thread, cause I have a couple of free weekends coming up, and I've lived too long in Oregon without getting into some steelhead. What's my best bet this time of year? Was thinking of doing the Deschutes, but open to anywhere within a few hours of PDX.