Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Hugh Conway Guest
    yeah, I'm the one rambling on about dropping off a container on a frozen lawn to a bunch of suburban dipshits. Or jerking myself off because I can't fill that whole in my already huge quiver of ski's while I live the dream. Or I was born a down syndrome child like Tuco.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyskier View Post
    Just a heads up to clarify - the weights we put out there back in January were done with a heavier bamboo material than we use on the touring skis. We ran out of it before SIA, and rather than just try and assume what the final weight would be, we went ahead and posted the weights with the heavier, natural bamboo we use in our non-models for our catalogs. Since we talk to our buyers at SIA, they were all aware the final production Steeple weights would come in lighter than listed, so we didn't think it would be a big deal. The carbonized bamboo we use on our touring models is considerably lighter, so once those skis go to production at the end of the month we will update the weights to the final production weight.

Even so, we still use 1.8mm thick 4001 bases, 2.5mm x 2.5mm edges, UHMW sidewalls, and a 100% bamboo core on all our tour skis, so if you are looking for the lightest ski around, there are better options out there. We still feel going down is a lot more important than going up. Just our take at least...
    Good to know. Will look for an update. I have been on superlight rando skis and felt the limit of only doing short turns in shallow pow or feeling the durability risk of a planed-down liposuctioned ski that feels as fragile as a teenage bikini model. I've also had a big sad when my legs are two tired for even a third lap on a day with fabulous pow because my legs just won't do another up with the damn Megawatts strapped to them. Looking at that as too heavy (2600g) and something like the La Sportiva Vapor Nano as probably too light for the position of quiver mainstay (1200g or so), the weight of a Huascaran (1900g in a 196) seems like a good target. If Steeples come in under 2kg, I'll be very interested. Remember too that the Carbo Empire (115) comes down to 1.65kg and still a very capable west coast ski. Synapse 1.4kg...
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Jesus OP. You've got all those skis and still don't consider any of them to be good all around everyday do-it-all touring skis??

The answer is so simple though. For a stable and competent but super playful ski that you can pick up on literally any fucking day and be ready for anything just get a pair of 185 Worth Magics.

I'd go through the whole Worth Magic double carbon schpiel but I'm super busy at the shop right now and really don't have time. Just wanted to give you the basics and say that they made me feel 100% comfortable selling veneer BG Hybrid Tours, Fat Bro Hybrids and like 3 other pairs of awesome skis. They are seriously all I ski now except in really big bumps. They have that camber, flex and sidecut that let you really dig in and use your edges when it's a 2D surface day but the rocker profile but they somehow still stay so loose and playful you really can make any move at any time. They also straightline like a motherfucker and slice through chop better than any other ski period. They DO NOT DEFLECT.
    Solid rec. Adding them to the short list for serious consideration because of ability to ski everything, including mank and hard steeps while still making pow fun(ner).[/quote]

Cheers OP. Gotta love a first world problem like that.
    Ain't life grand?
    Last edited by lepistoir; 07-10-2014 at 06:58 AM.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    yeah, I'm the one rambling on about dropping off a container on a frozen lawn to a bunch of suburban dipshits.
    No one cares
    Or jerking myself off because I can't fill that whole in my already huge quiver of ski's while I live the dream.
    No one cares
    Or I was born a down syndrome child like Tuco.
    In a room full of retarts(including you and me), your still the dumbest you Beater-Kook!

Seems like down to just ON3P Steeple, G3 Synapse, Worth Magic, Dynafit Huascaran or maybe Völkl BMT 109 too. Oh yeah, and I'd take a carbon EHP.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Oh yeah, and I'd take a carbon EHP.
    Ha ha, that funny. Had some business with them earlier this summer and the dude brought out the Raven for me to check out. Then I mentioned that they should do this exact thing and build them in the White Room. I would take one as well.

ON3P's are money though and Scott's a great dude to work with.

Hugh Conway Guest
    what a collection of cliched tech talk bullshit dickswinging pablum.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Seems like down to just ON3P Steeple, G3 Synapse, Worth Magic, Dynafit Huascaran or maybe Völkl BMT 109 too. Oh yeah, and I'd take a carbon EHP.
    FWIW, I thought the Huascaran had a really sweet flex. I would love to get some time on that ski.

Just because mine are shipping tomorrow and they haven't been mentioned and they're going to be sweet. 183 gpo with ultra light core . Coming in at 8.2lbs(or8.3?) surf city graphic will make m seem lighter because you want to pick m up

Anyone consider the Moment Exit World? $950 for a ski with extruded bases and a mixed reputation as far as durability, but still the size and shape to work in this category.

^^^PM Hugh Conway

I've got all the input I need from Hugh without even asking. Generous bloke.

OK. Decision time. Thank you to everyone spending time to share their knowledge. It's a long hot summer but winter will come soon so how about putting this to bed so we can start preparing for a super deep epic winter?

I forgot to mention one final piece of the puzzle:
    I'm a relentless cheapskate.

Looking at what's on the market that's not full retail that I think will fit the bill:

A. Wailer 112 pure with Dynafits and skins for $600. Awesome deal.

B. Exit World 190 new for $450. Sweet deal andundrilled as well as maybe a little chargier than the wailer.

C. Dynafit Huascaran. Light, capable and somewhere in between the two skis above. Also a bit pricier and comes with a sizing dilemma: 186 or 196?

Choice A. Screaming deal.

Add lots of stoke and you'll be sitting pretty.

Difference between a and b could buy fair amount of perogies.

Although a does sound like a great deal for a sweet rig.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    Difference between a and b could buy fair amount of perogies.

Although a does sound like a great deal for a sweet rig.
    Scotty, choice A is a full setup with skis, Dynafits and skins. B is just the skis, flat. Skins and clamps would run another $350, even for this deal hound. I've already contacted the seller of A, so unless someone has a compelling reason to get either other ski, I think I'm set.

Just got a pitch for some Lhasa fats, but I don't know if they are quite what I'm looking for. They are quite capable in all the soft snow of varying consistencies in a Tahoe winter. Still, I've been on the standard 191 Lhasa for four seasons now and enjoyed it a ton. Just want something a little different. I guess I'm looking for a standard Lhasa with a different tail (a touch more width and rocker) and a little more sidecut. Loved the float and stability at speed, but find them a chore getting down crescent moon couloir. I had the older mint green topsheet model which are now flexed out and might not have as much torsional rigidity as the current edition so I am entertaining the idea in case the wailer deal falls through.

Now who knows where to get some good pirogues? My gf's kid is crazy for those things

Hugh Conway Guest
    Pirogue = boat
    Pirogi = pastry

nobody - except the tuco tards - fucking cares about your handbag dilemma. But you showcase how much more stokefilled you are than me as usual le pissoir.

Few people other than the French, Ferlinghetti and a couple other beat writers ever even use(d) the word pissoir, Hubert. Kudos.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Few people other than the French, Ferlinghetti and a couple other beat writers ever even use(d) the word pissoir, Hubert. Kudos.
    Merci, mon ami. Very few people get the play on words, even francophones. I believe there's a beat poet in all ski bums.

Regarding skis, anyone checked these out?
    Folsom Kingpin http://www.backcountry.com/folsom-skis-kingpin-ski
    I like the look on paper and in words from the Folsom website and the BC.com rep. Would be nice if they were made in carbon by PM Gear.
    Lotsa tip flap in the video...

For anyone following this interested in the G3 Synapse, word is they are a pile of limp dog poo. Word comes from someone who tried them at Winter OR on-snow demo. Simply too soft to enjoy.
    Last edited by lepistoir; 08-13-2014 at 02:45 PM.

Sounds unusal for G3. They used to be über stiff.

Just got a pitch for some Lhasa fats

OK. I'm now going one step beyond and considering the above-advertised Kitten Factory full carbon Chairman. Looks like the decently stiff+slarvy+powerful ski I'm looking for at an appropriate weight for touring and in the width class I want. I had a few emails with Aaron from KF and it sounds like a dialed company with quality construction and they are serious enough to move out of their garage. I would expect the company to do well.

That said, I'm also considering the slarviest/surfiest option possible: no, not R/R skis, I mean a splitboard. I'd probably only ride pow with it so the rest of my quiver would be used a little differently, but it looks so freakin awesome to surf the white wave and slash and smear all over the hill. I guess I'm just ready for something a little different is what i'm saying. Besides, considering the $700 price on the Kittens (preorder sale), I could easily get into a used split setup for the same amount of dough. Anyone have any thoughts on going to the other side and zipping the planks together?

Quote Originally Posted by coldandwet View Post
    That sounds like the pre-production weight, based on a prototype pressing in their normal layup (going by their 2015 ski thread here). I'd expect it to be closer to 2.1kg in the released version, though that's still not exactly lightweight. You could always drop them a mail and ask?

Ranger Carbonlight 186 seems to weigh about 1.8-1.9kg (going by review comments; whitedot don't say). 140cm edge, 28m radius.
    Praxis Freeride 184 in ultralight layup weighs about 1.8-1.85kg. Slightly shorter turn radius, slightly longer effective edge, pretty similar dimensions etc. You can get it with a topsheet that isn't black, and a softer flex that'll make it even lighter. Also, $750 right now, even without any discount codes.
    I ended up finding a pair of Whitedot Director Carbonlites in gear swap for $350 with one mount with inserts in a range that will fit my boots and bindings that I have already. I wish they had maybe a mm or two of camber, but otherwise seem like exactly what I was looking for. Weight: 1850g (unclear, but probably in 178cm).
    Steeple: 2100g is still too heavy for everyday touring for me. I turned down shafty85's offer of his carbon GPOs with one mount for a screaming deal of $300 because they are over 9.5lbs and also a bit wide for my purposes. I found a screaming deal on a JONES splitboard and decided to go that route for the pow farming and so I wanted a more versatile set of planks. Not sure if I'll keep the Lotus 138s or K2 Sideshows, but they have their uses.

Thanks again for all the recommendations. It's been great to have this meeting of the minds and understand what others are looking for in a touring ski. I should also mention getting in touch with the guys at Kitten Factory, I really wanted to get a pair. They sound like a for real company that is not just trying to slap a brand on something made in a faraway factory. They make it themselves and are into all the details, including the topsheets. Their take was that topsheet texture had more to do with snow accumulation than color. They said they did lots of tests and found that a topsheet with a micro-dimpled pattern helped shed snow better than white top color -even when going clear to let the carbon show through. They said any maggots looking for a deal that missed the presale should give them a shout and get a coupon. They also said to let me try them out when you get them ;-)

Also, should mention that STP has Whitedot Director and Redeemer, both in Carbonlite for $650 with 35% extra coupon. Get em!