Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

MTB crash and worsening knee pain/instability

I crashed about a month ago on a downhill turn. Hit a loose baby head with the front wheel and went down hard on my right side. Must have been pretty hard cause I broke off 4" of an Answer Pro-Taper carbon bar. I did something to my right knee, but due to adrenalin or whatever I kind of brushed it off, put on a spare handlebar and went back to riding. Bad bruising on the inside of the knee next to the knee cap. Its actually still bruised, but the pain is below the cap in the front and sides mostly with stiffness running up my quad.

Been riding both road and MTB ever since without much pain at all unless I do a quick hard pedal (like riding over a log).

Been trying KT tape and braces and its not improving. This morning I turned quickly in my kitchen and it was suddenly really unstable. Been stretching alot too and even trying ITB stretched on a foam roller but its not helping.

I dun goofed.

Go see a doctor, not a fucking web forum.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but do you really want to mess around with your knees? It may just be a very bad bone bruise and some left over swelling, but like you said, there is pain IN the knee and muscle stiffness. If you have a GP, just make an appointment and see if he/she wants to just get some X-rays. You probably don't have to see a posh ortho in the city unless you did some connective tissue damage. Obviously, an X-ray won't show much for connective tissue, but it will show if there's any chips of bone floating around.
    It's a hassle, but deal with this now, at the beginning of summer, so you don't wind up having to sit out a ski season. Even if you did some minor connective tissue damage, you won't have to go fully in an MRI tube for the knee, and a little arthroscopic cleanup is basically a simple in/out procedure and off you go.
    Don't fuck around with knees, shoulders, eyes. Go see a pro.
    No longer stuck.

spook Guest
    stop running over baby heads asshole

Seeing a GP for a knee is little better than an internet forum,if that.See an expert ......
    picador

Yeah, im gonna go see the ortho. Good insurance and no need to get a referral so why not? Im just a knee injury noob. I have always had ankle and hand problems but never any knee issues before.

Honestly, it sounds like a bad bruise, but it's the internet.
    No longer stuck.

Seeing the ortho tomorrow AM. Sucker really hurts now and im limping pretty good. We will see.

I vote for a meniscus tear, but whacking your knee with the handlebar is pretty common also.

I basically crashed hard enough on my side to brake the handlebar when it hit the ground. I smashed my knee/leg into the ground and my shoe never unclipped from the pedal.

Just left the ortho. He thinks its probably the meniscus as Jethro suggested. MRI on Friday.

Ouch. Good luck.
    No longer stuck.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Just left the ortho. He thinks its probably the meniscus as Jethro suggested. MRI on Friday.

don't you mean, dr. jethro?

I think they scope it and off you go.
    No longer stuck.

Try to save as much as possible. I tweaked mine skiing and just forgot about it. About 3 years later had another tear and had about 75% removed.

Quote Originally Posted by intheways View Post
    Try to save as much as possible. I tweaked mine skiing and just forgot about it. About 3 years later had another tear and had about 75% removed.
    Had medial meniscus removed two weeks ago today, started running yesterday. Was spinning in five days at low resistance, added resistance late last week and added elliptical early this week. So no reason your summer is over. With just meniscus surgery pain is your guide, no pain?? go for it.

I tore my right meniscus and had some cartilage damage on the bone surfaces due to an awkward, slow fall skate skiing a few years ago. I had an MRI and my ortho Doc recommended doing nothing unless it was locking up, or causing a lot of pain. He said the meniscus is kind of like an o-ring, and the more he nips away at it, the weaker it will be, and to deal with it the best I could before cutting. It is pretty good now.

I hope its not too major. It hurts pretty good now. Doesn't help that I was fighting a vibrating compactor and laying block friday. I only got about 10 feet of the first course laid and I was dunzo. Kneeling down and slinging block = ouch. I tried laying block while kind of sitting/laying on my side/ass but that sucks. Not looking forward to work tomorrow at all. Hopefully, the doc calls with my results.

I had a medial trim after I started to get locking and buckling. I would get episodes of pretty bad pain but it was about 2 years from injury to first scope. I had a scope that made the situation way worse, not in terms of pain but in joint function. The locking stopped but instability was a problem plus I could feel the reminant moving in the joint. It was grim.

I had another scope 4 months or so after the first with a different ortho and that was about 2.5 yrs ago. Much better result but of course even less meniscus left.

Beware that the whole running in 2 weeks line does not always play out.

Quote Originally Posted by chewymix View Post
    Beware that the whole running in 2 weeks line does not always play out.
    http://www.massgeneral.org/ortho/ser...20protocol.pdf

repair != removal

Doc called. Non-displaced fracture under the knee cap. Not exactly sure where though. I couldn't understand his futuristic doctor speak. Getting a new brace tomorrow from him. "No kneeling or heavy lifting." Ummmm, so I cant do anything at work then. Fuck.

I had a similar injury 2 summers ago that was discovered when they X-rayed my knee for my blown acl this winter. Doc asked when did I fracture my tibia? I was like, "Well, I did hit the ground really hard in a race 2 summers ago, and thought I blew my knee for a few seconds then, but never saw a doc for it."

I was able to finish the race, but it felt a little funny and was really sore, so I took a few weeks off the bike and started back on with some light duty pedaling. Lots of spinny pedaling, no pushing big gears.

Sometimes trying to work through an injury with more exercise will just do more damage when it needs to heal.