Beartooth in July

Want to make a trip up to beartooth to get a little summer skiing in late June/early July. Plan on riding the "resort" for a couple days, but I was wondering if I should bring my touring setup / bc gear.

Would love to bag a peak or couloir, if there is anything up there worth skiing.

General/Specific beta appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by iLLbiLLy View Post
    Want to make a trip up to beartooth to get a little summer skiing in late June/early July. Plan on riding the "resort" for a couple days, but I was wondering if I should bring my touring setup / bc gear.

Would love to bag a peak or couloir, if there is anything up there worth skiing.

General/Specific beta appreciated.
    The highway goes along the top of a high, flat plateau. You can bag some couloirs there very easily: they drop off the side of the plateau and should be in good skiing shape this year.

There are some peaks nearby that will be in climbing and skiing shape, but the access is mostly going to be from elsewhere, rather than convenient shuttles from the highway. Select Peaks of Greater Yellowstone is the best guide book for the region. It's worth buying if you don't already own it. It looks like you have to settle for PDF now: it's out of print. http://www.selectpeaks.com/ThomasTuriano/Author.html

Beartooth will definitely be skiing into mid July this year. The basin is pretty amazing and right across the road from it is a really nice couloir that holds snow for a while. I wouldn't shy away from bringing your touring gear as well.

Awesome, Thanks for the info guys.

Might run by Teton Mountaineering and see if they still have a copy of that book. Looks like it would be a cool one to own (physically).

When I click on the 3 day projected cumulative totals it lists the same date in the from: and to: areas (three days from now). I assume this is the projected snowfall for the next 72 hours?

Last edited by Babblu; 04-03-2015 at 12:35 AM.

deleted
    off your knees Louie

cole creek holding in there at ~100% of normal. any reports from the beartooth?

http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/reportG...::average_1981

was there a couple of weeks ago and my son skied Cham last weekend said terrible conditions. Backed off bigger couloir due to rock here are a few photos last 2 cham
    https://www.dropbox.com/sc/rchhsxecz...U8eIqFP0J4eI7a
    I do not know what normal is but lower aprons were definitely not in. First shots are of Dewey coverage was good up there. Possible to ski something beside couloirs.
    Last edited by BFD; 03-31-2015 at 03:31 PM.
    off your knees Louie