Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Get em bromo! I fight the fight as well. Drivers coming down parleys in the morning are usually pretty good, but occasionally it is like the goddam idiot brigade out there. Drives me fucking nuts when it is bad. Seems like seeing someone in a sports car behind them makes them feel even more righteous.
    I stay the fuck out of the asshole lane (left lane) on that stretch as people go ludicrous speed up/down Parleys, but having a sports car going super fast down a mountain pass with deer and moose crossing, semis overtaking other semis at 25-45mph and general shit drivers swerving all over, is really fucking scary. Can't call you out for certain but you did mention in some other thread about hitting 100+ on your commute once, so you are suspect. But if you are going 20-50mph over the speed limit in heavy traffic in a location like that? Don't expect anyone to anything for you.

Again, no way to know how polite you are driving, you may be cool, I'm just ranting in general about insane-level speeders being indignant when in packed commuter traffic.

Slow drivers in the left lane

I always keep it below 120 on the commute. Pretty sure the only request here is to respect the pass or move over policy. If traffic is below the limit from congestion sure, but a bunch of morans running 5 over widely dispersed and ignoring highway protocol? Fuck em.

Traffic is fairly light in the mornings. If you make it through traffic, it's pretty common to find large gaps where you can run it up pretty safely. I do not like to pass other as at a high speed differential (pass a 60mph going 100) just not safe. In the afternoon traffic is heavier, so speeds are usually slower. I do regularly hit 100+ on the way to work. Did a couple of times today. Once in the valley with more traffic, speeds are slower. I did not hit 100 on the way home from work. Too much traffic to do so safely. I have kids and shit.
    But on topic, if you are doing 80 down parleys in the am, move the fuck over.
    BTW bromo , we are planning the next organized club drive. Last one out to Hanna was badass. Check the club page...
    sigless.

Definitely have noticed the mach looney Parley's Protocol. 80 is fine for me on that and I get completely dusted by people.

Seriously - where the fuck do you need to get to in that big a hurry in the greater SLC area?

It's like the heroes who have to go triple digits on the Jersey Turnpike. One guy flashed his lights and honked at me because I wasn't passing fast enough so I shoehorned myself back into the right lane to let him pass. Hell, I was getting off in a couple miles anyway. I then rolled by him at the toll booth because he didn't even have an EZpass. Just smiled and waved.

Cool- saw the pics, good stuff. Was down in Maple that weekend so no dice. Will try to make the next drive.

Btw reserved a spot on wide open Wednesday's in Toeele August 5th. Gonna mount a friends GoPro inside. Been practicing managing oversteer, hopefully will get to drive home wreck free.

Tipp- SLC is wide open. Even the side streets are 50' wide, the highways 65-70 in the city and 75-80 outside. High speeds are perfectly safe in cars designed to go 160+ on the track. Speed is relative.

I'm a big left lane camper hater, but I don't give a flying fuck about getting out of the way of the guy going 20 over the flow of traffic and 30+ over the speed limit. Especially when I'm at the back of a line of traffic passing slower traffic on the right. I'll get out of the way, but I'm not going to slow down to do it if I am passing traffic in the left lane.

That driving style causes just as much traffic bullshit with the bobbing and weaving at high speed as camping in the left lane. People braking to let them in, get away from them, etc.

Bromontana - Speed differential is the cause of lots of accidents.

It would be nice if ODOT would figure out that trucks going 55 and cars going 65 on two lane (one direction) I-5 up the Willamette Valley is insane.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Traffic is fairly light in the mornings. If you make it through traffic, it's pretty common to find large gaps where you can run it up pretty safely. I do not like to pass other as at a high speed differential (pass a 60mph going 100) just not safe. In the afternoon traffic is heavier, so speeds are usually slower. I do regularly hit 100+ on the way to work. Did a couple of times today. Once in the valley with more traffic, speeds are slower. I did not hit 100 on the way home from work. Too much traffic to do so safely. I have kids and shit.
    But on topic, if you are doing 80 down parleys in the am, move the fuck over.
    BTW bromo , we are planning the next organized club drive. Last one out to Hanna was badass. Check the club page...
    I knew you were going to pull the "but I drive 100 safely'. Sure ya do.

Iceman, my theory on Parleys is there are long stretches that cops can't hide on, and even so, they don't patrol it so it's a free-for-all. Also, just something I noticed, it's mainly expensive cars that do this and anyways it's really hard to go 20 over the limit going up that pass when you are broke. You'll drop about a quarter tank in an average car doing that.

Noted on the risk. Approach groups slowly and mostly just go fast to close the gap, preferably on the center or right side, in light/sparse traffic. Moderate or heavy means simply go with the flow. Expect everyone to cut you off, many will.

55/65 being unsafe sounds like a skinny road, poor drivers not following rules or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Noted on the risk. Approach groups slowly and mostly just go fast to close the gap, preferably on the center or right side, in light/sparse traffic. Moderate or heavy means simply go with the flow. Expect everyone to cut you off, many will.

55/65 being unsafe sounds like a skinny road, poor drivers not following rules or both.
    It's I-5. Straight as an arrow up the middle of the Willamette Valley. Fully divided with cable barrier median.

You have truckers going 55 and cars going 65, trucks aren't in a solid line so its the right lane cars going 65 merging into 75 mph left lane traffic and slowing everything down. Late mergers up the few hills has traffic down to 50 sometimes.

I think lots of people would camp out in the right lane with the trucks if the speed limits were equal, but instead you have the person passing the right lane at 60 who won't speed up or get out of the way. It's dangerous because it leads to lots of right lane passing, people running it up to 85 to shoot the gap to get around slow poke, etc. Equalize the speed limits and a rolling road block is instantly gone.

Drive in it for more than a day and you wonder what the rationale for the 55 truck speed limit is.

Muted, the simplest way for you to feel safe on parleys is to please stay out of the left lane, thanks. We'll slide by you without drama. Maybe you should start a thread about dipshits that drive too fast and ride your ass, this thread is for bitching about people who camp out in the fast lane and drive slowly.
    sigless.

Gotcha. An extra passing lane on the grades sounds like it's needed. Don't understand the truck limit on its face. They seem to do fine on the 80mph zones of I-15, is it due to logging trucks?

Back up a bit and the highway was designed/built when and with what as the upper threshold for speed and volume?

Gotcha. An extra passing lane on the grades sounds like it's needed. Don't understand the truck limit on its face. They seem to do fine on the 80mph zones of I-15, is it due to logging trucks?

Back up a bit and the highway was designed/built when and with what as the upper threshold for speed and volume?
    It's the same as I90 in Montana. Except is has fewer curves, and fewer hills. Most grades have 3 lanes uphill.

There aren't sight distance issues, lane widths are normal. Logging trucks are usually the one breaking the speed limit.

I'd be fine if they met in the middle at 60, just get rid of the differential.

Arbiters is a great term, slugs is good too. I hate pacers, you know the ones, they are like arbiters but worse because they slowly catch up to the middle lane then match that cars speed. Hence the Jersey sweep Professionally executed a half dozen times on the way home tonight.

Heh, triple digits. We don't hardly even get to see 90 here without serious risk to many people not to mention a billion and three deer just trying their best to be a problem.

The road from Steamboat to I-70 had me going the speed limit with hands at 10 & 2, so many animals getting their dinner on. Kind of the same for US40 SLC-Steamboat, sheep all over, hitting a prairie dog every 50 miles, you're lucky to avoid front fascia damage. US6 otoh SLC to Price, you can sustain some high speeds.

I84 from boise to ogden you can fly. The comp in my BMW said I averaged 91 mph coming home from boise to ogden, then dropped a bit the rest of the way to pc. People realize you are Rollin with a detector and will latch on.
    sigless.

Muted, the simplest way for you to feel safe on parleys is to please stay out of the left lane, thanks. We'll slide by you without drama. Maybe you should start a thread about dipshits that drive too fast and ride your ass, this thread is for bitching about people who camp out in the fast lane and drive slowly.
    Fine, I'll just say it: If you are an asshole going 100 on Parleys, just fuck right off. Let me guess, you have a few track days under your belt at Miller and you think you know better? There's better places to go 100 or get an adrenaline rush in general than a commute down/up a mountain pass.

Or grow some balls and just say, "I don't care, it's fun." And it's not like I don't have a history of driving stupid fast, btw.

How the hell is EVERY SINGLE TGR poster somehow a great driver anyways? It's amazing. Good job, guys.

US6 otoh SLC to Price, you can sustain some high speeds.
    Ever notice there are 4-5 passing lanes in a row going north from Green River, and but none going south?

Things that annoy me....

It is fun.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Ever notice there are 4-5 passing lanes in a row going north from Green River, and but none going south?

Things that annoy me....
    Yeah south was tough last time, thought there was at least one passing zone iirc.

I prefer going fast on the up and coasting on the way down. Don't like having to stress the traction with heavy braking relative to flat or uphill. The lower sections of Parleys tend to thin out a little where it flattens. That is nice road on the down.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    How the hell is EVERY SINGLE TGR poster somehow a great driver anyways? It's amazing. Good job, guys.
    Every single one?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

A bit north of toronto politely asks the truckers to stay in the left lane, which works up there. NY state however was full of left lane idiots, seems the indians are the new asians.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Every single one?
    The married ones are even better drivers!

It is fun.
    Well, ok then. Surprised I haven't seen you, I commute all type of hours on I80 at 2300 East, and sometimes go up to PC. Not that I know what your car looks like, but I'd remember an older Porsche. All I see is Porsche SUVs and Panameras.

Yeah south was tough last time, thought there was at least one passing zone iirc.
    There are passing lanes going south, I worded it poorly. What I meant to say there is a long stretch with no passing lanes going south when the north have 5, but eventually there are some going south. Why didn't they alternate passing lanes from north to south on this stretch? I never noticed this until I was stuck behind a slow car in 'heavy' traffic.