Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Anthony Bourdain is killing it

Just watched his show from Lyon. Too bad it's CNN.

His show 'parts uknown' is on netfix. It's pretty awesome. The guy has a dream job

Cnn appears to have smartened up some, and now just steals good programming from other networks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

One of the better shows on TV today. This version is better than no reservations. The Congo episode from season 1 is probably the best. Lyon and Russia episodes were both good for this season. He also does a blog for each of the episodes worth checking out: http://anthonybourdain.tumblr.com/

Anthony Bourdain always works with Zach Zamboni - he's the DP on all his shows. Mutherfucker is a stud. Those shows are shot so well it's humbling.

That's a pretty cool name. Zach Zamboni.

The Lyon episode was awesome. A walk through the history of the great French chefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Anthony Bourdain always works with Zach Zamboni - he's the DP on all his shows. Mutherfucker is a stud. Those shows are shot so well it's humbling.
    Cool. I always noticed that unique DP style... beautifully done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    That's a pretty cool name. Zach Zamboni.
    Famous for his Italian Shaved Ices.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Word! Watched it last night. Need to head over there to get some more sausiccon.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    The Lyon episode was awesome. A walk through the history of the great French chefs.
    #1 goal this year......stay alive +
    DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Cool. I always noticed that unique DP style... beautifully done.
    There's a joke in here somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ICEHOCEY77 View Post
    Thanks for that link, dude talks like a sailer on his blog, very bawdy language that he can't use on TV. I love watching the show, probably my current favorite.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Hugh Conway Guest
    "everyone in this city looks like they just got fucked, or are heading to go fuck someone"

"One drink. Ugh. 2 drinks. This is ok. 3rd drink. Where are my pants?"dude is livin large

Granada. It ain't your mama's tapas.

His shows are fantastic.

Read his books now.. They're good in his voice (ie, there are parts of his books that his voice is my reading voice in my head.)
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Punjab, India was awesome.

I'll cross reference this to the Iggy lecture I posted. Bourdain is very much a product of the punk world.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Read his books now.. They're good in his voice (ie, there are parts of his books that his voice is my reading voice in my head.)
    His (non-fiction) books are out of this world good. Kitchen Confidential and Medium Raw. Amazing. Especially the intro to Medium Raw.

Anyone seen the Beirut one? That's intense!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyg82 View Post
    Anyone seen the Beirut one? That's intense!
    From wiki:

In July 2006, Bourdain was in Beirut filming an episode of No Reservations when the Israel-Lebanon conflict broke out.[22] The unexpected conflict broke out after the crew had filmed only a few hours of footage for the food and travel show. Bourdain's producers compiled behind-the-scenes footage of Bourdain and his production staff, including not only their initial attempts to film the episode, but also their firsthand encounters with Hezbollah supporters, their days of waiting for news with other expatriates in a Beirut hotel, and their eventual escape aided by a "fixer" (unseen in the footage), whom Bourdain dubbed "Mr. Wolf" after Harvey Keitel's character in Pulp Fiction. Bourdain and his crew were finally evacuated with other American citizens, on the morning of July 20, by the United States Marines. The Beirut No Reservations episode, which aired on August 21, 2006, was nominated for an Emmy Award in 2007.[23]
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I actually thought it was a seminal moment for that show, but for a completely different reason.

I remember when it came out vividly. What it did expose, and which gets exposed only so rarely in his world- a nod/jesture/double take here and there- that makes it through editing is his complete naivete. He still fancies himself as in control, even when he designs chaos. This time chaos was brought to him, or he induced his crew into in unwittingly of course, but it brought out not anything I would even call close to journalism which could have been accomplished given the proximity to the conflict. What it did do was to let the viewer in to how fragile he is, how deeply uncomfortable he is. How protected he is.

Not at all a bad thing, and certainly wise and predictable, but to say that in anyway that episode was worthy of anything, is a farce.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Next episode is Miami . Meets his idol Iggy. Should b good. I hope they don't relapse

Now, who would have thunk, say, in 1970, that Iggy would be living in Miami for years in his old age and telling the world how relaxing the sea breezes were to his old soul.

Watched a bunch of these on Netflix. Lying was the most boring by far.

I started watching Layover. Not as good.