Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    ^^Thought Praxis was doing the skis?

Keith and I build skis entirely differently. To make the Lhasas and Kusalas the way they're designed requires a whole different approach and different equipment. Thought we could work it out but it just couldn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    What is the Bya? - no beta on site & I've been out of the loop
    Yeah, it does need some words on the site about it, huh?
    Basically an all mountain ski. There's a thread on them somewhere in tech talk.

The needs I had for the skis construction simply weren't something Keith wanted to do. I understand. He has his way of building skis and his shop is focused around that methodology. In the end, he wanted to build the skis his way, which isn't the way they've been designed.

I needed someone who milled tongued cores on a cnc. I believed Keith would adjust his process a little do this but then he didn't want to. The skis are being made by the engineer who already makes our cores. I also needed someone who could mill a mold that landed the topsheets perfectly centered every time because the logo in the tip needs definitive alignment. I went with the shop that could make the skis the way they were designed and had the engineering prowess to make molds like the one below that would place the topsheet perfectly. Topsheet placement wasn't a sticking point with Keith until we started discussing the fine points. As I had said initially, adrenalated, our agreement was tentative. When it got down to brass tacks, it wasn't to be. There has been no misrepresentation on my part.

I expect the skis to be the best they could possibly be this year. I've been trying to get the guy making them to partner with us for ten years and take over the manufacturing because he's that good, has over twenty years experience building skis for K2, then Hart, and he also has extensive carbon fiber experience. He can do things that very few companies can or will. If you want praxis skis, I believe you can still order some on their website.

Well, thank you for the backhanded best wishes!

Four pair left at the sale price!

Still got those 5 to go. Someone asked about layaway and I said half down now, the rest later, in case anyone needs any more enticement.

Just posted the new Bya rocker/splay specs over in the Bya thread in tech talk:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...=1#post4293376

Came out fine, dibs. Got two broke steigerizers that won't be fixed for three weeks, so the bases are all that needs done. Got a stack to finish. ottoparts, yours are in that pile waiting for the machines to get fixed. Sale is done this week.

Lindahl, I threw some blue metal flake that scottyb sent for his pair on your yellow pure carbons to spice them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Sweet! Looks great Pat! So stoked. Curious what's the weight looking like since we went extra stiff with these...
    right around 2100 g.

All done for this run, Rick. I'll ship as soon as the steiger is fixed.

Actually, the 192 bros with tip and tail rocker are easy as hell off the hook crazy good skis. I have a batch of cores for them with blemmed sidewalls, in so much as I don't know what the hell happened but the sidewalls are spliced together in one spot on every sidewall. Not perfectly consumer friendly eye candy wise but I was thinking about pressing a pair for myself and a couple friends that want some. They are a ways down the list to be made in Seattle. A spliced sidewall doesn't equal a structural blem if done right. I did 250 pair that way up in Quebec and they've been on the snow 10 years. I'm pressing out every bit of material in the shop and those cores are lying around as well as some old topsheets, so I'll prolly press them before I either pack up or sell off the shop. I have the glass, carbon and resin to press them, just need to cut some bases and tip/tail metal. Prolly do a pair or two full reverse and see how that works as well. These scrapped together ones will be perfect protos for sussing out the new camber profile.

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    What kind of cabbage will you be looking to get for those eyesoar blems? ��
    Not sure I'm going to get to them.... I'm finishing off everything in the shop while the guys in Seattle are cutting molds and cores but it's been pretty slow as I try to keep the allergy from messing with me. Got Kusalas and a mix of other things pressed waiting for the stone that gets replaced this week and not sure if I'll get to them before I press some other skis and then sell off some of the equipment in the shop and ship the rest to Seattle. Just sold the last pair of 192s in the factory to a sitskier maggot back East. It's one of the few skis the sitskiers say they have a hard time breaking.

In other news, the sale ended but the price on the sale skis is only incrementally increasing $100 a month for the next few months. Kusalas pressed in Reno are all sold out and the next batch out of Seattle will be Decemberish.

Next week is what I was just told.

That yellow, like Lindahl says, is hotter than hell and those pics don't do the skis justice at all. It's so freakin hot, next year's tops will be yellow on the Lhasas and Kusalas, including the Lhasas coming on the preorder. After seeing those, I pulled a last minute switch on the topsheet guys and had them change up the Lhasas that are coming to that yellow. It took some massaging the graphics so the color didn't bleed but it's done. It's that awesome and the carbon through the graphics windows is insanely looking glass deep. Thanks for the nudge, Lindahl!

Only Kusalas have shipped so far. The guys hit a minor glitch working off the cad from the intern and were about to press 9mm of camber into the Byas, but the head guy was smart enough to doublecheck with me, so they had to remake the camber block. I should have the first pair of Byas in hand tomorrow or Wednesday. Looks like they're going to run a little bit late but not much. After loads of horrible experiences with other people making the skis, the one thing I emphasized was 'I don't want them quick, I want them right.'

Prices are still low on the website and about to get raised.

I'm sorry. They still had some issues working with the pure carbon Byas, Detrusor. But the pure carbon Bya preorders have shipped and the Bya hybrids will ship next week. I demanded perfection and they delivered but it took way too long. If you look at the thread for those Bya demos for sale, you can see in the bottom pic that the middle pair was what they sent me first and I rejected it for the rocker profile and layup on the pair on the left. The skis are beyond perfect in every way. But with this lateness I have pissed some people off and I have been pissed off about it. But now that these guys have dialed the Byas, I'm expecting them to take the lesson to the 186 Lhasas, which is what they are pressing now.

Kusalas and Byas are done, last few Byas shipping this week.
    Your Lhasas are getting pressed now, Wooly.
    I understand that these guys have been woefully slow.