Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs up TR: Another "Grand" Experience

Last minute trips are the best kind of trips. Had a rehearsal dinner and wedding last weekend, but got a text from Ian asking if I wanted to ski the Grand with Matt on a day trip from SLC Memorial Day. A resounding "YUP" was sent, if there is such a thing via text.

We left SLC around 3:30 on Sunday and made our way to Jackson, stopping along the way for the food that would fuel our ascent. Made it into Jackson around 9:00 and setup camp, which consisted of pads and sleeping bags thrown down in the grass, at the Lupine Meadows trail head.

Rolling into the park we were met with views of the Grand

We were surprised to see the lot fairly empty with just a couple cars. Another group from CO and AK came over to chat about logistics, which ropes to bring, etc. We happily shared beta, as I had climbed/skied it before, and introduced ourselves. The wake up call would come early, and we all set alarms for around 2:20.

THE ASCENT
    When the alarm clock went off I woke up easily and got to preparing gear and eating a quick breakfast. Ian and Matt did the same. We started off in shoes for the hike with skis and boots strapped to our packs. We didn't know what to expect as far as snow line, but knew it would be patchy at lower elevations. Got on the trail around 3:00. We made good time and hit the meadows as the sun started to rise.

Switched to boots and skis to start skinning but soon found that booting was the most efficient form of travel as soon as it got steep.

We quickly made our way up to the toe of the Teepee Glacier and took a quick break to eat and drink. At this point the sun was just starting to shed some rays on the toe of the Teepee. Conditions on the Teepee were firm which made for efficient travel, yes!

Matt ascending towards the Teepee Col

Ian on our way from the Teepee Col to the Glencoe Col

We started up the Stettner and caught up to a roped group, they let us by and we soloed up past them, carefully placing picks and front points in the partially frozen water fall. Ian trying not to step on the parties rope as we ascend the Stettner.

Me doing the same

And Matt following

We let the efficient pace go to our heads and somehow charged ahead past the Chevy, we realized we had made a mistake once we arrived at an unfamiliar chockstone in the Stettner. Time to downclimb and ascend the Chevy. DOH!

Looking up the Chevy, hey at least the feet are good!

I soloed up the ice bulges and threw a line down to belay Matt and Ian up the short but overhanging crux ice bulge

Matt making his way up

At this point the roped party had caught up and we delayed them for a moment, sorry! After the crux we continued to solo up to the toe of the Ford.

As we reached the toe of the Ford the sun had barley started to light our way to the top, Ian charging

Matt following

Ian happy to hit the summit ridge!

Matt also happy, he was smiling, really

I lead off on our way to zee top!

Obligitory summit photos

THE DESCENT

To Be Continued...
    Last edited by JTrue; 05-28-2014 at 06:31 PM.

So awesome

Looks like you had a very good Spring

Nice....
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Yeah buddy! Anxiously awaiting the descent write-up.
    When in doubt...straighten 'em out.

joelbettner.blogspot.com

I have to remember to lay off the caffeine before opening these up. They nearly give me a heartattack!
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Go so far, but did this get posted from the summit and you all died on the descent?

Looking forward to some awesome descent photos.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Nice! Strong work dudes!

Anticipation ...

Well done. Damn that looks good!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

wow i'm gripped (a first for my desk chair) from those solo ascent pictures
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by JTrue View Post

fucking dope

Cruelest TR ever!
    (I mean, come on, how long you going to leave us hanging here for the descent?)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan S. View Post
    Cruelest TR ever!
    (I mean, come on, how long you going to leave us hanging here for the descent?)
    Hah, sorry have to work and ride my bike. It's coming.

THE DESCENT

After topping out we looked at the watch and it was just after 10am, upper section was perfect soft carveable corn. There was another group of mountaineers at the top which we passed on the descent.

Ian making a turn off the top

Matt shredding, axe in hand

As we dropped into the Ford the snow was firmer and we had to be on our "A" game making cautious controlled turns on the névé.

Myself making a turn in the gut

Ian bending the ski and trusting his edges

Matt following suit

The exposure is real, you don't want to slip, the Ford funnels down to a nice cliff. Ian heading down towards the toe where you make a left into the Chevy

Waiting for the rap station to clear out, looks steep, it was!

This is when things started to get interesting, a group below us had dropped one of their twin ropes off the end of the Ford, considering each rap is a full 60 meters that would pose a problem. Somehow the rope got snagged on a flake and the group was able to downclimb on belay and retrieve their rope. Whew! We decided to work together and have me go first to rig the next rappel while the others joined be at the rap station.

Rapping!

I use thinner ropes to rap on, they work well if you just pull them through the system. Coiling and uncoiling sucks and can create a rats nest. This happened on the second rappel and I had to work on the tangle for a bit. We decided it would just be quicker to break off separately from the other group and continue our descent.

At this point it was getting later in the day than I would have liked and we had some groups that were probably starting to descend above us. Up until now we only saw a couple ice chunks come down, but I didn't want to hang around and test our luck.

Waiting for the others to join me at my stance

Matt coming down

At the last rap station Matt had descended already so it was just Ian and I left. We heard some noise from above and a couple ice chunks whizzed by, seconds later I saw some rockfall coming for us, we both hugged each other against the wall. Luckily the rocks didn't find a target. Let's get the fuck out of here. Taking that last step out of the Stettner onto the Glencoe Col was one of the best feelings, knowing we were out of the gun barrel!

Snow on the Teepee was isothermal and worked the quads, Matt made easy work of it on his split.

Myself making a turn in the shadows of the Teepee Pillar

Best turns down low were between the Teepee and the meadows, soft but slarvy corn. We made our way to where we stashed our shoes and some water then continued to ski down canyon as far as made sense.

Good to be back on the trail down Garnet Canyon

Views were nice

Too fast

Looking back up, she's a beaut!

Would like to thank Matt and Ian for being great mountain partners on this adventure!
    Last edited by JTrue; 05-29-2014 at 03:37 PM.

Sweet shots!
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

That's what I was waiting for. Great trip and a very nice TR!

Quote Originally Posted by JTrue View Post
    Hah, sorry have to work and ride my bike. It's coming.
    Worth the wait for sure!
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Wow that was great! BIG PROPS

looks like a pretty awesome day in the mountains, thanks for putting this together!
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Sweet TR. Looks like decent conditions, which is different than what we heard from others. We had reports of some huge runnels?

We also headed up to the Tetons this weekend, but did not do the Grand. We decided to save it for a time when it's more powdery and less crowded. I think you hit it right though as there was a decent freeze on Sunday night compared to most of the other nights over the weekend. We skied Nez Perce on Sunday and talked to some people who were coming off the Grand. There were reportedly 5 groups up there that day, one of them being a group of 5 that had a 15-yr old with them. We were told there were 5 raps (seems like a lot). How many did you guys have?

We did find a different route in to Garnet with was nice though. Park at the Glacier Turnout, follow the bike path north until a bridge by some cabins over the Snake. Then, basically follow the drainage up until it meets Garnet. We hardly walked at all. There was a short traverse on dry ground where the drainage met up with Garnet, but other than that, we skinned at skied almost from/to the valley floor.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerskierchick View Post
    Sweet TR. Looks like decent conditions, which is different than what we heard from others. We had reports of some huge runnels?

We also headed up to the Tetons this weekend, but did not do the Grand. We decided to save it for a time when it's more powdery and less crowded. I think you hit it right though as there was a decent freeze on Sunday night compared to most of the other nights over the weekend. We skied Nez Perce on Sunday and talked to some people who were coming off the Grand. There were reportedly 5 groups up there that day, one of them being a group of 5 that had a 15-yr old with them. We were told there were 5 raps (seems like a lot). How many did you guys have?

We did find a different route in to Garnet with was nice though. Park at the Glacier Turnout, follow the bike path north until a bridge by some cabins over the Snake. Then, basically follow the drainage up until it meets Garnet. We hardly walked at all. There was a short traverse on dry ground where the drainage met up with Garnet, but other than that, we skinned at skied almost from/to the valley floor.
    Definitely a runnel in the Ford that dumped into the Chevy, but the skiing on lookers right was just fine. There were 5 raps, we could have down climbed/skied some of it, but with groups above and warming temps we felt it was prudent to stay on ropes for the descent. As you know, if you get flushed or hit by ice/rockfall, well it would suck...

Well done. The ascent looked fun, but the descent above the first rap looked a little to puckery for me.

Thanks for some great shots and a good TR.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

a grand TR indeed ...

so much could have gone wrong ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

One of these days

Is the whole route ever fully skiable???
    Or needing just a couple raps???

No one has ever skied it without a rap/downclimb, on the fat years early season the ice bulges are just bumps, but usually only covered by a couple inches of snow. The Chevy would be really hard to ski. The Stettner except for a couple spots is manageable if the snow is good.

I'm sure someone with more balls than most of us will "ski" it at some point with perfect conditions.