PSA: Ortovox S1+ avalanche beacons for $210 or less

Says they're refurbs, like the Ortovox S1's and 3+'s they were blowing out recently. Try a "best offer" of $190 or so and work your way up to Skibummin's accepted offer of $210. (You get three tries before ebay will only let you buy at the $250 asking price, so be sure your third offer is at least $210.) Hell of a deal on one of the best beacons available.

Ortovox S1+ Avalanche Beacon Digital Transceiver
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 05-28-2014 at 07:34 AM.

They accepted my first offer of $219 with shipping included.

Please pardon my intrusion....

I will only thread jack because this is a PSA
    and I am going to reinvest proceeds to buy things from other maggots promptly

I have an apple green 3+ in very nice condition and not a refurb SOLD

bought some skis from pat....now for some bindings
    Last edited by MiCol; 05-29-2014 at 08:44 PM.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

I just bought the last of these refurb Ortovox S1+ beacons, and now I'm having second thoughts...

Anyone want to buy it at my cost of $210 shipped to US (you pay Paypal fees)? I'll ask the ebay seller to ship to your address instead of mine.

Why the second thoughts? It's a very sensitive beacon, during an avi class my S1+ picked up the target beacon much earlier than all the other beacons in the class. Actually picked it up at twice the range of a Tracker 1. And the capability to change transmission antennas depending on how it's oriented when buried means searchers will be able to pick up your S1+ as quickly as possible. Currently only the S1+ and 3+ have this technology, though unless it's patented I'm sure all beacon manufacturers will eventually do this.

The second thoughts are actually about whether I should pay a bit more and get a new S1+ instead of a refurb.

They're not really refurbished, they're actually units from a rental fleet that were sent to Ortovox for testing prior to being resold. So given that they're factory tested, they're safer than buying a used beacon from an individual.

I would see no reason to pay $100 - $150 more for a new one, it's not like they wear out. I bought one of the S1 "refurbs" for my GF.

Fak missed it

Sierra Trading post has some deals on Ortovox beacons. If you sign up for their emails you will get a discount code that might get you a little more off or free shipping.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/avalanche-safety~d~40/