Recommendations for skiing books

Search didn't turn up much. I'm a fan of non fiction books, specifically war books, mountaineering, fishing, outdoors, etc. One type I haven't really dabbled with much is skiing. Whether it's about skiing history, progression/evolution, a single trip, I don't really care. Just looking for a good read.

If it helps one of my favorite authors is John Gierach, but it doesn't need to be that style of writing.

Thanks in advance.

Hugh Conway Guest

The perfect turn by Dick Dorworth comes to mind, didn't see it mentioned in the linked threads. I have a few others but I'll have to look around the shelves to be sure I have the right names.

The culture and sport of skiing by E. John B. Allen. It's a history From the development as a transportation tool up until world war 2 and the war between Finland and the Soviet union. I wish it went past that point but there are other books about more modern skiing. I haven't read any of the other books by the author but the appendix is full of sources so I'm sure you can find enough interesting reading in there.

Deep powder snow by Dolores LaChapelle is another good one, but it's a more personal story of skiing history like the Dorworth book above. In the threads above it looks like it may be out of print.

Knew this had to have been covered at some point, searching on phone sucks.

Thanks for the responses, will have to check these books out and give the other threads a look.

Hugh Conway Guest
    another thing to pickup would be the Mountain Gazette anthology or look for back issues to read - they've some linked here on their website you can read online (works on a computer, dunno about a phone)
    http://www.mountaingazette.com/flashback/
    more "mountainy", but there's a few ski bits in there occaisonally.

I read the LaChapelle book awhile ago and enjoyed it, but there's no way I'd pay the $80 or whatever. That's nuts. A few libraries scattered around have it, dunno where you are, but this should help: http://www.worldcat.org/

The Sheriff is near!

Select Peaks of the Greater Yellowstone has a lot of the geological, mountaineering, and often ski mountaineering history of said region. Kinda cool. Big book. Don't need to read it in order.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

"The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

The Ski Patrol by Roy J. Snell.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    but this should help: http://www.worldcat.org/
    That is going to be a valuable reference.

Looks like I'll have no shortage of good reads this summer, these recommendations look promising.

In Search of Powder
    Edge of Never

The edge of crazy about the US DH team in the 90's.

There is also a great book about toni sailer that I can't find the name of.

there is a book about the battle of riva Ridge that is a great primer on the 10th mtn division. I think it's called riva Ridge.

Found this list as well.

https://sites.google.com/site/10thmt...earch-material
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

Fiction mountaineering, but Eiger Sanction is a must read, if you haven't already.

the ski book
    collection of all sorts of stories by all sorts of people
    http://www.amazon.com/The-Ski-Book-M.../dp/0877954305
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

It was already mentioned in the other related thread, but I believe it's worth repeating:

Wine, Women, Warren and Skis

It's not a long book, but is hands down one of the most entertaining books I've ever read. Mr. Miller sure knows how to tell a good story! Dude pretty much defined ski bumming and made quite an art of it!

Not a skiing book, but I just finished 'Into Thin Air'…. a powerful tale for sure.

Definitely a far cry from now a days.

2012 Hillary Step

Recommendations for skiing books

Avalanche Hunters by Monty Arwater

Climb to Conquer and The Last Ridge - both about 10th Mtn Division in WWII

Downhill Slide

Chessler Books is a great webstore. Also some to be found at Vintage Ski World
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 08-13-2014 at 12:02 PM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Not specifically skiing but just finished The Rise of Superman by Steven Kotler.
    It's about the progression of elite athletes - ski, snowboard, climbers, wingsuit guys etc and how they're able to progress and accomplish seemingly impossible feats bc of how the brain works and learns differently in the flow state
    very good and readable. I almost wanted to start a thread about it bc I think so many of people here would dig it.
    http://riseofsuperman.com/

Ski Pioneers by Rick Richards.

http://www.amazon.com/Ski-Pioneers-F...s+ski+pioneers

bonus: it's pretty much free+shipping used on amazon.