Thread: Skier's thumb

Skier's thumb

About a month ago, I pulled my thumb back in a fall. I thought it was getting better but in the past two weeks still feels very sore if I try and flex it back at all. All normal thumb movements are find and I don't even feel it while skiing or using hiking poles. Advice on how to heal this? Daily ice and IB?

It really depends on what the actual injury is. I've broken both thumbs in separate accidents separated by many years. The first one was very clearly broken in the bone below the actual thumb (displaced fracture). The other one, just a little over two years ago was an avuncular fracture of the lower bone of the thumb itself. I didn't see a doctor for six weeks after the injury, by which time it had already bonded and was mostly healed. He told me then that it would probably bother me for six months or more but it was healing. The good news was I didn't tear the tendon off the bone as that would require surgery to repair. So, if you tore the tendon off the bone, you may be in for some difficulty. If you did something like I did, you may be healing up already and it may just need more time. At this point, my suggestion would be to see a doctor and get an x-ray to determine what the problem is. Don't screw it up and wait too long and have a dysfunctional thumb the rest of your life.

Is it bad enough you have to switch hands?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I don't even feel it doing normal thumb movements, except if it goes backward...

Few years back I broke two bones and tore the tendons at the base of my thumb. Caughht a rock, my thumb touched the top of my wrist. Without the tendons my thumb was floppy. No control over it. No natural movement. Had surgery and about six months of recovery/pt. Loss some ROM, but its functional and strong. Don't wait too long to get it checked out, you don't want a fused thumb.

It didn't go back that far....it was more like the injury you get if you stub your finger played basketball, know what I mean?

Haven't had one in yrs until a couple weeks ago. Total bonehead maneuver . Flying down the final lil luge track to asulkan parking lot right out of control. Barely dodged the shelter. Slid on my stomach out across the parking lot and came away w a good skiers thumb. Glad no audience for that one. Can take up to 2 yrs for tendons to shrink. Generally a slow process you'll feel for a while

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Skiers thumb is a bitch. Baby that sucker snow show, but dont let it get weak if you can help it. As said above you really need to avoid re-injury.

Avoid hammers and power tools like the plague. Hope you have a desk job...if not get one. 5 surgeries later with the last being a fusion and I am finally not in pain all day long.

Good luck!

What about golf clubs?

Actually, with my left thumb broken and with an AC2 separation in my shoulder (did both injuries a week apart in April 2012), I played golf for a month before I even saw a doctor. The thumb didn't bother me and the shoulder was fine so long as I was in the proper swing plane. The doctor wasn't amused but I survived it just fine. If it doesn't bother you, I'd go for it.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    What about golf clubs?
    If you injured your right hand and use right handed clubs I would think that would hurt alot. At least it did for me. Totally affected my swing. If your lead hand is injured I would think it would be more manageable to swing a club.

It is my lead hand...May or may not try it on the driving range. Probably should tape it up for biking to be safe...

I don't subscribe to the tough guy let it heal on its own philosophy.
    I tore my thumb UCL and broke off a small bone fragment a couple of years ago. Outpatient surgery two days later and totally healed in a few weeks. Has been fine since with no loss of strength or range of motion noticeable.
    If it's reasonably stable side to side but unstable and hurts bending back then probably is torn UCL (ulnar collateral ligament). I'd recommend getting it looked at by real doctor rather than us internet experts but after a month treatment options are probably limited.

I spent a ski season reinjuring a thumb after a late MTB fall (which also compression fractured three vertebra and cracked my larynx). Thumb took the longest to heal; they all eventually mended without intervention... the back/larynx drs laughed about the thumb.

I obviously don't golf.