Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

TGR never admits mistakes

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Well, for whatever it's worth, we appreciate your actually constructive, informative, and clearly detailed feedback today moverblow'd
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Ryan, it isn't on you. This has been bubbling to the surface for years. These redesigns have happened so many times and with every time, they release an inferior product, radio silence and expect us to sit on our hands. There hasn't been anyone consumer facing (yes we are your consumers) that works for TGR in years. It ended with me, Tate and Frank. I was finally the last person to say fuckit and stop wasting my time answering questions, banning spammers and taking out the trash. Splat and Tye have tried to pick up the pieces and have done good, but without that direct daily contact with the powers that be, it's an uphill battle for them.

When one of your consumers has a problem with something, do you ignore it? Look back through the Ask TGR archives and see how many people before you actually answered questions they knew the answer to. Look how long the same problems have been going with radio silence from anyone. Do you think any other company that treated its customers this way that wasn't some bro-brah shaka place to hang out would still be in business? They treat us like their own little stoke factory to be used and abused and they don't care. Oh, someone posted something cool, let throw it on facebook. And they may claim to care, but look at their standards for discussing complaints, issues or just basic questions. Their silence speaks volumes. It's a shame because I like Todd and he used to stay behind the scenes but speak up when needed. Now, the only way to get any reaction is to make a stink. And that isn't productive to either side. It shouldn't be an us vs them, it should be we. And frankly, I haven't felt any sense of "we" around here in years except within a few select demographic pockets.

And I use "they" in this writing as a whole for the company that is TGR. I am not picking on anyone in general. The site is part of the business and TGR (they) should be held verbally accountable for the thoughts of its customers. I'm not doing this to be mean, I'm doing this to explain why there has been a ton of vitriol today. This isn't just me, this is a lot of people that have been getting gently fucked with a chainsaw for years with the bullshit, and it just keeps rolling down hill.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Why not just flush the place? The efforts to monetize - starting with the Gear Review forum (which was a great idea - until you banned people other than the web dork from commenting, at which point nobody gave a shit), continuing through the crappy sound banner ads, the Panjo marketplace that nobody likes or wanted (seriously Dunfee - you asked me my thoughts in another thread, didja just miss people bitching about it here and elsewhere?) to the avantlinks that ruin posts, and make for hilarious context. No one wants you to lose money; most people are glad and thankful you guys provide the place. But you don't seem to care; this sub-forum itself is kinda a joke. You guys don't even answer the - imo - legitimate questions about your "real" business:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-Films-Madison
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...you-submit-now
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...Live-on-iTunes
    so why not just delete it?

And waking up one morning to realize this place is filled with coarse assholes? < shrug >

5 star thread. Monetizing interactive platforms instead of sitting pretty and bilking companies.

Seems pretty easy from a business perspective; however, I thought this shit was about the sport.

You make the dopest movies with the dopest athletes, big money brands pay you for advert and product placement which we maggots and the global skier collective eat up while you corpo fucks jag eacother off to continue the cycle.

I want a kick back. Kick back
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Ryan, it isn't on you. This has been bubbling to the surface for years. These redesigns have happened so many times and with every time, they release an inferior product, radio silence and expect us to sit on our hands. There hasn't been anyone consumer facing (yes we are your consumers) that works for TGR in years. It ended with me, Tate and Frank. I was finally the last person to say fuckit and stop wasting my time answering questions, banning spammers and taking out the trash. Splat and Tye have tried to pick up the pieces and have done good, but without that direct daily contact with the powers that be, it's an uphill battle for them.

When one of your consumers has a problem with something, do you ignore it? Look back through the Ask TGR archives and see how many people before you actually answered questions they knew the answer to. Look how long the same problems have been going with radio silence from anyone. Do you think any other company that treated its customers this way that wasn't some bro-brah shaka place to hang out would still be in business? They treat us like their own little stoke factory to be used and abused and they don't care. Oh, someone posted something cool, let throw it on facebook. And they may claim to care, but look at their standards for discussing complaints, issues or just basic questions. Their silence speaks volumes. It's a shame because I like Todd and he used to stay behind the scenes but speak up when needed. Now, the only way to get any reaction is to make a stink. And that isn't productive to either side. It shouldn't be an us vs them, it should be we. And frankly, I haven't felt any sense of "we" around here in years except within a few select demographic pockets.

And I use "they" in this writing as a whole for the company that is TGR. I am not picking on anyone in general. The site is part of the business and TGR (they) should be held verbally accountable for the thoughts of its customers. I'm not doing this to be mean, I'm doing this to explain why there has been a ton of vitriol today. This isn't just me, this is a lot of people that have been getting gently fucked with a chainsaw for years with the bullshit, and it just keeps rolling down hill.
    A website that you frequent, among many others, changed their colors and did a re-org. Its happened before, and the world kept spinning. And you, and many others, came back to interact with your friends and with anonymous douchebags alike. You mention an expectation from the suits that you "sit on your hands." No one is stymieing feedback. I may be way off, but you seem to have a manufactured gripe. Its an action sports website and its has been tweaked to invite people to create a TGR profile that is more robust than just posts on a forum. No one owes you or me anything. Its a place to congregate with some minor impositions that commerce creates.

Dont take this place so personally. Keep killing jongs, and dropping knowledge on the shit you know.

What did I miss? Are tags coming back?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    but you seem to have a manufactured gripe.

Never!!!
    Life is not lift served.

This thread did make me look and I am glad that the list view gearswap is now visible in the drop down forum listing.

A website that you frequent, among many others, changed their colors and did a re-org. Its happened before, and the world kept spinning. And you, and many others, came back to interact with your friends and with anonymous douchebags alike. You mention an expectation from the suits that you "sit on your hands." No one is stymieing feedback. I may be way off, but you seem to have a manufactured gripe. Its an action sports website and its has been tweaked to invite people to create a TGR profile that is more robust than just posts on a forum. No one owes you or me anything. Its a place to congregate with some minor impositions that commerce creates.

Dont take this place so personally. Keep killing jongs, and dropping knowledge on the shit you know.
    Last reorg I was publicly attacked by Todd because I spoke my mind. Dunn PMd me and flipped shit in a profanity filled rant because I was knocking on design. They didn't do that to anyone else that was talking shit. Yes, they wanted no negative feedback from me, just sit on my hands.

And I take this place personally because I was the only one caring for it for so long. It got to the point I had to change my screen name to avoid PM long after I quit. And I get shit to this day for doing that. Whatever. You guys can all think what you want and I'll continue knowing the truth behind my motivation.

Last reorg I was publicly attacked by Todd because I spoke my mind. Dunn PMd me and flipped shit in a profanity filled rant because I was knocking on design. They didn't do that to anyone else that was talking shit. Yes, they wanted no negative feedback from me, just sit on my hands.

And I take this place personally because I was the only one caring for it for so long. It got to the point I had to change my screen name to avoid PM long after I quit. And I get shit to this day for doing that. Whatever. You guys can all think what you want and I'll continue knowing the truth behind my motivation.
    Scott, you are spinning your story for yourself and are wrong. I don't need to go into it, but your hate filled rant was full of inaccurate information and your last implosion on the site was your own melt down. Your new rants are full of it as well. You really think you are the only one that cares about this place or people on here. Come on man.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

I can only comment on the perceptions that I get. But I venture to guess if you polled the broader member base and asked certain questions about how the site is, I'm sure you would gain some insight that you aren't willing to admit to.

And this only proves my point... radio silence until I mentioned your name.

Scott, you are simply wrong. We had our whole team working on bugs and fixes and scheduled to do so when the site changes went up. I think their response has been solid. We have had mods in the forum adressing spam and other issues all year. Yes we miss things from time to time and are not perfect. I have been dealing with people via pms on multiple issues over the last year. Dunfee was brought in to directly communicate with the board a few months ago. I have been on the road pretty much since September, so I have not been visible in front of the scenes as much and have been working with Dunfee and the mods on critical issues. There is a reason the updates were released at a time when I was out of the field. As far as me addressing you Again, yes if you directly challenge things you know nothing about like my integrity and care for the community, I will stand up and respond to you.
    Anyways, this is a waste of time and people should focus on constructive feedback that we can work on implementing.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow!!! What a ride!"

"We been runnin' these goddam hills for dang near, huh?"
    Sturgis Uncensored

Robust profiles!!!

huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by TGR420 View Post
    yes if you directly challenge things you know nothing about like my integrity and care for the community, I will stand up and respond to you.
    hey, me too!

next TGR movie should be "Maggots Nationwide: eating of the dead" featuring DD of course and other highly acclaimed maggots
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Robust profiles!!!

huh?
    ROBUST I say!

And tags!

Well if you had to hire someone to do this, and it wasn't getting done before (or at least it didn't seem like anyone gave a shit), doesn't that mean there was a gaping hole and you are now trying to fix it? Like I said, Ryan isn't the problem, he seems to be the solution, but don't pretend that this place hasn't been neglected and the communication between the forum owners (TGR) and its consumers (maggots) has been nonexistent. I'm glad you guys are working to iron things out and hopefully keeping this place a fun place to kill some time. But I also don't look through rose colored glasses so I won't hold my breath.

And honestly, the lack of communication is mostly the problem. When people complain for 6 months that the TGR app crashes and no one comes in and says "yo, we are really busy working on something, we will get to it, for now use tapatalk until we can get to it" it kinda sucks. Not to mention how long the search function has not worked at all and people have brought this up a million times with no response. The tiniest facetime would quell most of the animosity. Hopefully Ryan can be that voice.

I guess dinner and a movie is out of the question now ?
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

ROBUST I say!

And tags!
    Hey, I'm just glad nobody was moving the mouse around while the web guys were remoted in to do the "upgrade"...

Or maybe they were.. explains a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

C'mon...

Group hug.

Hey, I'm just glad nobody was moving the mouse around while the web guys were remoted in to do the "upgrade"...
    Yeah, that would be super dickish.

imho-

I'm not going to go in to the whole advres/system deal, other than to say that he was the mod who was responsive when i kept bitching about the spam that was crushing the forums, and invited me to get my ass in gear and help nuke it. I've learned a lot from him over the years. I'm letting the rest of it lie...

the forums have the best team working on them right now than they have ever had in my experience. Even just a year ago there was nobody at TGR other than Todd I could go to with an issue directly, especially on tech stuff. I'd shoot a note to half a dozen email addy's and sometimes one of them would do something, but they didn't even cop to who, they all used the same 'tgrweb' handle. Now there is one person who is dialed on this stuff, and is super-responsive.

If issues like the mobile platform haven't been responded to effectively, that's my fault. I figured they were waiting until the whole website/forum redesign was done before digging too deep into it, and should have put that word out. But again, like has been said many times, it's a weird bug. I can log in w/iPad or iPhone on iOS6 or 7 under several usernames and it works fine. Intermittant bug, weird.

Dunfee's pretty sharp, with a little bit of time and experience he's going to be a great addition to the team. Plus i think it's good to have a better conduit into the TGR planetary HQ....

so, i don't think this place is perfect, but imho it's moving the right direction, and does actually value the insights from the long-term mags. Even Hugh...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TGR420 View Post
    Scott, you are spinning your story for yourself and are wrong. I don't need to go into it, but your hate filled rant was full of inaccurate information and your last implosion on the site was your own melt down. Your new rants are full of it as well. You really think you are the only one that cares about this place or people on here. Come on man.

hey that's EXACTLY what i was going to say! except for the come on man part. i probably would have made an ear lobe reference, like "drag your ear lobes into reality, dude."

spook Guest
    I can only comment on the perceptions that I get. But I venture to guess if you polled the broader member base and asked certain questions about how the site is, I'm sure you would gain some insight that you aren't willing to admit to.

And this only proves my point... radio silence until I mentioned your name.
    we could do the same for you, mr. carnegie

spook Guest
    Robust profiles!!!

huh?

he has fecal matter on the corners of his lips