Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    This thread is awesome. I'm headed down to Chile in about a week (Aug. 7th - 14th) for some skiing. My brothers and I are going to Nevados de Chillan. I've recently been seeing some sick snow forecasts for the upcoming week. How's it looking down there? Any truth to these weather reports? Any other info would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks in advance.

Hi, yes the forecasts coincide in several big fronts moving into southern Chile this week, the big question being where will the zero isotherm set in at. Seems likely that heavy rain will fall at the lower elevations (ski area base), and heavy snow and wind will happen at the top. Chillan for example is forecast to get a few hundred mm of rain at the base, but up higher 1m+ of snow. That is how it works in the southern cone, with low elevations surrounded by oceans.
    Looks good for your trip, if it doesn't rain too much. Chillan has cat skiing, snowmobile tours, and heliski (check out Rocanegra Lodge in Shangrila). You can also easily hike up the volcanos or just traverse a long ways and get powder. Careful with the fog and rough canyons to the west.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate it. Hopefully all falls into line and we get some good skiing.

Just found this thread...very timely and informative!
    I'll be in Santiago (first time) 8/4 thru 8/24 for work; I'm fantasizing about a day trip to Portillo or Tres Valles.

Casey E: PM sent.
    Enjoy Every Sandwich - Warren Zevon

Here goes an update on the latest on snow conditions in the central zone.

As of August 1 the base is thin and nothing is in the forecast. Lower elevations suffer the most, and it rained a bit the last few days, followed by a bit of snow. The good the bad and the ugly is shown below. The lowest webcam is the base of La Parva, which is the ugly, but the upper runs of all 3 valley areas are still hanging in there, including La Parva. Valle Nevado and Portillo probably look better than they actually are in the photos (don´t know why 2 VN upper lifts are closed, ice?, see text they posted today). Seems Portillo would be the best bet right now, phone them to see if they have openings for less than a week....

Per ski area websites which in general are incomplete (excepto Portillo):
    VALLE NEVADO
    Nieve Últimas 24 hrs: 6 cm
    Nieve Últimas 48 hrs: 0 cm
    Nieve Caída Acumulada: 256 cm
    Nieve Aplanada en Pistas: 35 cm
    Calidad de la Nieve: Nieve Dura
    Velocidad del Viento: 20 Km/h
    Nota: Mucha precaución ya que en algunos sectores de las pistas del dominio esquiable puede haber nieve dura, con placas de hielo y/o piedras. Sobre todo en la zona alta.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VN webcam.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	172.2 KB 
ID:	157105

PORTILLO
    Nieve base actual Hotel 77 CMS
    Profundidad Nieve Plateau 102 CMS
    Profundidad Nieve Juncalillo 47 CMS
    Nieve últimas 24 horas 11 CM
    Nieve últimas 48 horas 16 CM
    Nieve últimos 7 días 39 CM
    Tipo de nieve actual POLVO
    Andariveles abiertos en el centro de Ski 93 %

Name:	Portillo FB photo.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	157106

LA PARVA
    Calidad de la nieve Pisada
    Cantidad de Nieve caída ûltimas 24 hrs 0 cms
    Cantidad de Nieve caída ûltimos 7 diás 0 cms
    Porcentaje de Operación Andariveles 93 %
    Porcentaje de Operación de pistas 64 %

Name:	LP webcam.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	42.8 KB 
ID:	157107

El Colorado webcam (no snow conditions report):

Name:	Colorado webcam.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	151.7 KB 
ID:	157108
    Last edited by Casey E; 08-01-2014 at 12:23 PM.

The current lack if snow in the central Andes is part of a 7 year drought, an unusually long one within the apparent natural cycles of SA weather.

This 60 year graph shows the ups and downs of rainfall for Santiago and Temuco, which differ slightly. Santiago broadly follows el niño cycles, but Temuco can vary from it.

If the current trend to drier years is not a terrible example of global climate change, the "good" news would be that we should see a switch to a rainy cycle soon. The lack of longer term info doesn't help in the precarious biz of predicting the weather. "Only fools and newcomers try to predict the weather" as an old cowboy once said ....

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	157170

Worth the trip toward the end of the month? I'm on the fence. I've got Mtn Collective and Squaw Passes so I can get 50% off tickets but the flight is looking like $2k.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey E View Post
    Heading up Falso La Parva (3,800m):
    Attachment 157013

On the trail to Cerro La Parva (4,000m), with El Pintor (4,300m), La Leonera (5,000m), and El Plomo (5,400m) in the background.
    Left our boots and skis at the top of La Lengua, and hiked up Cerro la Parva with sneakers.
    Attachment 157014

Got the skis on and headed down La Lengua on the backside of Falso La Parva:
    Attachment 157015
    Attachment 157016

More photos here: http://bit.ly/Uxkz8e
    Great day, and got the boys hyped up on backcountry adventure!
    live the life.

As it stands, no, not worth it, probably not anywhere in the central zone of Chile. You will get your moneys worth from Chillan to Pucon though, lots of snow.

Casey, your updates are really good and helpful.
    I'm flying into Santiago this upcoming Sunday, the 10th, and living late night on Thursday the 14th. The big doubt we have is to stay in El Colorado the short 4 days of snowboarding or takind either a bus or a flight to go to Chillan.
    We are afraid there's a lack of snow in the 3 Valleys (specifically El Colorado), and would love to get your insights.
    Thanks.

I will probably ski 3 valleys on thursday and update my impressions, but it is not pretty. My advice is to rent a car at the airport and head south. This gives you speed and flexibility for your short time here. Count on 6 hours to Chillan or 9 to Corralco. Easy drive, except for getting thru the town of Chillan. I stayed in Chil-in hostel, las Trancas, reasonable price ($18.000 pesos w/ breakfast).

This 60 year graph shows the ups and downs of rainfall for Santiago and Temuco, which differ slightly. Santiago broadly follows el niño cycles, but Temuco can vary from it.

If the current trend to drier years is not a terrible example of global climate change, the "good" news would be that we should see a switch to a rainy cycle soon. The lack of longer term info doesn't help in the precarious biz of predicting the weather. "Only fools and newcomers try to predict the weather" as an old cowboy once said ....

Views:	256 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	157170
    where did that graph come from? longterm climate data publicly available somewhere?
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

http://www.meteochile.gob.cl/prediccion_estacional.php
    Click sequía report (pdf). Also has monthly el niño updates. All in spanish:

No lack of snow here:

Views:	164 
Size:	235.6 KB 
ID:	157231

Where? I'm not telling.....

Did you take the picture? Weird thing not saying where from, but it's on another forum as well, together with that one. They say location there:

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	230 
Size:	590.9 KB 
ID:	157237

Quote Originally Posted by moridinbg View Post
    Did you take the picture? Weird thing not saying where from, but it's on another forum as well, together with that one. They say location there:

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	230 
Size:	590.9 KB 
ID:	157237
    Just teasing, i've said it several times in my thread and pm's, lots of snow in Corralco and Araucania in general. Not my photo. That lift tower was in a hole of snow 3 weeks ago when I was there for the inaugural run, of which I do have photos in my Surazo link above.

Casey,
    After the great snowfall we had this Wednesday I'll be expecting your update from the 3 valley. We are heading to El Colorado on Sunday for 4 days.
    Thanx

The 3 Valleys go up to 25 cm of light snow yesterday, which made the groomers spongy but fun, and the off piste, although wind scoured in places, too tempting. The thin icy base makes things quite variable, some steeper slopes had sluffs down to hard dirty snow. Rocky off piste got more than one atrevido pissed off. But hey, it is a hell of lot better than it was, and at least the runs will be better for a few days, depending on the temperature. Some La Parva shots from today:
    What I mean about wind scoured, scaly stuff in this view:

Name:	P8076653.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	868.3 KB 
ID:	157277

Piuquenes and Las Aguilas lifts, back to white!:

Name:	P8076667.JPG 
Views:	117 
Size:	783.7 KB 
ID:	157278

And some inspiration for the pow starved:

Name:	P8076668.JPG 
Views:	128 
Size:	878.5 KB 
ID:	157279

Name:	P8076696.JPG 
Views:	113 
Size:	895.7 KB 
ID:	157280

This time around, none fell in Portillo...

how much snow do these resorts get on average? south vs central for snow? thanks
    "4ply is so quiche"
    -Flowing Alpy

For the central zone, a normal year would have a mid season packed base of about 50-80 cm at 2,600m, and 100-150 at 3,500. This year it is more like 20 and 40. The packed base varies wildly from year to year, depending on precipitation, wind, and temperatures.

Southern Chile would be 100-150 cm at 1,500m, and 200-300 at 2,000-2,400m. This year it is at the upper end of this range in general. Packed bases at lower elevations are entirely dependent on temperatures (there is always lots of of precipitation), but are more consistently deep at higher elevations.

Is this place is perfectly safe for skiing?

Quote Originally Posted by jcolingham View Post
    Some of the Argentinian bus services that cross the Portillo pass will be dropping off and picking up customers at Portillo. It isn't publicized but you can buy one ways to Portillo on AndesMar past Portillo through Las Penitentes and under Aconcagua to San Raphael and Mendoza areas.

what time does the bus will arrive at Portillo?

http://www.meteochile.gob.cl/prediccion_estacional.php
    Click sequía report (pdf). Also has monthly el niño updates. All in spanish:
    a lot of data (=numbers) is available for download here http://snia.dga.cl/BNAConsultas/reportes
    kinda interesting if you're into that sort of thing, I played around a bit.

precip santiago by year and month

temuco

punta arenas

can I get some Puerto Montt?

maullin is next to puerto montt.

Name:	maullin.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	157317

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    Reading this just makes me realize I gotta try and get back next year. Although last year wasn't awesome snow, I had an amazing time. Love skiing in SA!!!
    The one time I've been to Chile was the worst snow year they'd had in 20 years. But 4 days of skiing in July in the Andes = WORTH IT!