Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Industry dream jobs

Three years ago I left the corporate highway and took a job designing rods and reels at Orvis in southern Vermont. Since then I have had the time of my life and recently have been promoted to manage Rod & Tackle. That's my endorsement for Orvis and the fishing industry as a career path/lifestyle and now there are three opportunities to join in on all of the fun. We are looking for a Rod Shop director of manufacturing (think head honcho of the country’s oldest fly rod manufacture), Rod & Reel Developer (think super techy come to work and make cool stuff happen) and Hunting developer (think the person that designs bird hunting gear).

Here are the details.

Rod Shop
    https://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH14/ats/ca...cws=1&rid=1870

Hunting
    https://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH14/ats/ca...cws=1&rid=1883

Rods & Reels
    https://ch.tbe.taleo.net/CH14/ats/ca...cws=1&rid=1884
    Harvest the ride.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i'm good on jobs
    but my dog wants to know if were still on for that pre outdoor retailers green float/camp
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i'm good on jobs
    but my dog wants to know if were still on for that pre outdoor retailers green float/camp
    We should start to work on the when and where of that gig.
    Harvest the ride.

Congrats L8APX!
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

u make the call i was gonna try n reserve the same camp
    or just fontenelle it or a day or 2 on both
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Congrats on the promotion! Hopefully someone around here finds their way to one of those jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Congrats on the promotion! Hopefully someone around here finds their way to one of those jobs.
    Thanks guys. Would love to see a maggot designing rods
    Harvest the ride.

Now that you're the man, how about bringing back a battenkill disc drag reel. There was a reason it was a staple in the lineup for decades. Affordable, incredibly durable, lightweight and a decent drag for the money. I liked the option to turn the clicker off. The mid arbors are too heavy for 3-5wt rods, imho.

Also, you never brought back the MaxKnot tippet. I thought that was one of the few true technological advances angling has seen in over a decade. What happened? That was a really great product.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 05-20-2014 at 01:11 PM.

L8, mind if we get off topic for a minute? I'm curious as to your thoughts on this and I'm bored and half drunk.

What's with the Orvis hate? You know what I mean. To me it seems that a lot of "huge flyfishermen" are divided into two camps, pro or anti Orvis. Dudes either hate Orvis with a passion or are fanboys decked head to toe in Vermont's finest. Yes there is middle ground, but I see more polarity in my travels.

I'm sure you know this phenomenon. As an insider, can you shed any light on how the company feels about this or why this may be?

For the record, not that it matters, I've owned one Orvis product in my lifetime. It was the first run of the Rocky Mountain reel and it was a total piece of shit (1995ish?). But I've cast some nice rods and fished some nice reels of theirs since then.

and can we get a maggot discount? my first rod, a 8'6" 5wt Rocky Mountain purchased at Telluride Sports in 1996, works OK as a slow-action back up rod for light nymphs and dry work, but doesn't cut the mustard in wind or with a chubby on it.

need another 6 wt to complement my arsenal.

Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by neckdeep View Post
    Now that you're the man, how about bringing back a battenkill disc drag reel. There was a reason it was a staple in the lineup for decades. Affordable, incredibly durable, lightweight and a decent drag for the money. I liked the option to turn the clicker off. The mid arbors are too heavy for 3-5wt rods, imho.
    what's the point now? the made in britain one's were good, the chinese junk was, well, chinese junk only worth purchasing with one of the hefty Orvis coupons (you could see that someone had done a good job of decontenting the whole process with the later ones they made after moving to china, cut little corners here and there and everywhere)

I might apply but only if I get to design dog beds.

Snapt, dog beds require a totally different skill set. Are you sure you want to take that on?
    Harvest the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by steved View Post
    Key Performance Metrics:
    Financial: The manufacturing of rods to within +/- 1% of published forecasted volume and standards rod cost.
    Financial: Implement a 15% manufacturing cost savings within a 2 year period.

L8,

In order to hit these marks...with the same people, glorified accountants, establishing the guidelines, ....In order to re-vamp the quality in the less-expensive line(s) of flyrods, which imho is ripe for the picking, the flyrod people are going to need leadway to establish the timeline with a true quality bunch of flyrods, not a line of flyrods simply paired down from the existing Orvis designs....(just my personal $.01), AND I'm wondering if the wealthy boys who put more stock in the manufacturing cost savings of all of their products as a whole...are really serious about conquering the lower-cost market in flyrods with serious $$$ backing...towards that unit devoted to those rods.... Rambling over..;-)
    Those expectation's don't seam unreasonable or even all that hard to maintain/accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    I might apply but only if I get to design dog beds.
    Beat me to it!
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by Underoos View Post
    What's with the Orvis hate? You know what I mean. To me it seems that a lot of "huge flyfishermen" are divided into two camps, pro or anti Orvis. Dudes either hate Orvis with a passion or are fanboys decked head to toe in Vermont's finest. Yes there is middle ground, but I see more polarity in my travels.
    For me, orvis just makes crappy gear at super high prices. I've yet to cast an orvis rod that hasn't felt totally dead. The high end orvis rods to me felt like $100 TFOs, the waders seem to be designed to drain spaghetti, and on a personal note, most orvis pros, or orvis endorsed guides and outfitters are totally jackasses. My favorite was when Orvis pittsburg posted a bunch of photos they stole from a guy in Norway on their instagram account claiming the brown trout fishing was awesome. Douchebaggery like that pisses me off way more than shitty gear. (Orvis Bellvue seems to be the exception, those guys rock)

However I haven't cast an orvis rod in several years (no way in fuck I'm gonna even walk into a shop the sells orvis here, not because of orvis, but because they are run by absolute assholes) Maybe by now they have figured something out.

As far as the orvis lovers, I'm guessing they just have never used anything else, or are fairly casual fly fishers. The various shops do a great job of getting people into fishing, offering classes etc. the shops are in non traditional locations thus drawing people in and holding on to customers.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    For me, orvis just makes crappy gear at super high prices. I've yet to cast an orvis rod that hasn't felt totally dead. The high end orvis rods to me felt like $100 TFOs, the waders seem to be designed to drain spaghetti, and on a personal note, most orvis pros, or orvis endorsed guides and outfitters are totally jackasses. My favorite was when Orvis pittsburg posted a bunch of photos they stole from a guy in Norway on their instagram account claiming the brown trout fishing was awesome. Douchebaggery like that pisses me off way more than shitty gear. (Orvis Bellvue seems to be the exception, those guys rock)

However I haven't cast an orvis rod in several years (no way in fuck I'm gonna even walk into a shop the sells orvis here, not because of orvis, but because they are run by absolute assholes) Maybe by now they have figured something out.

As far as the orvis lovers, I'm guessing they just have never used anything else, or are fairly casual fly fishers. The various shops do a great job of getting people into fishing, offering classes etc. the shops are in non traditional locations thus drawing people in and holding on to customers.
    How do you really feel?

I am far from an Orvis fan boy but I will give credit where credit is due. I fished with an Orvis Hydros reel down in the Keys and had several 5 to 7 foot sharks scream off backing and turned them and got them into the boat. Seemed pretty fucking solid to me. Especially at the price point.
    I dont know, methinks you should maybe check out some of the new offerings before spouting off.
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Hugh Conway Guest
    orvis has always branded (or sometimes "made") a few good products - what's changed? As but a retail paying schmuck, plenty of their shit still has a silly premium for rebranding someone elses idea or gear. I'm sure I'm still colored by first encounters with them in washington DC where they were clearly used to some highpowered DC dickwad walking in and dropping $5k a visit on "the best" so he could take his 1 week vacation to Alaska/Patagonia/New Zealand/Andros and hob nob with the other assholes who can't fish for shit but know you need to have expensive shit to fit in.

Quote Originally Posted by teleee View Post
    How do you really feel?

I am far from an Orvis fan boy but I will give credit where credit is due. I fished with an Orvis Hydros reel down in the Keys and had several 5 to 7 foot sharks scream off backing and turned them and got them into the boat. Seemed pretty fucking solid to me. Especially at the price point.
    I dont know, methinks you should maybe check out some of the new offerings before spouting off.
    This. L8 has done some serious work and the H2 is one of the better rods out there. Even though they're a competitor, they make some good stuffs.

Back on track I have 2 brand manager jobs for BIG names coming down the line next week.

might as well rant against vaginas rotund monkey boy cause like orvis rods you aint felt one in years.
    well i guess youve never met p diddles or been to the falcons ledge cause all the orvis shops and peeps i know are solid
    never been a orvis fanboi but l8apx let me throw his stick and i was impressed
    and the swag gear i been kicked down works great.
    asshole run shops are everywhere as are shit spoutin fishermen

let me know if we're fishin in aug
    no one else will commit
    and ya all quit puttin dream and job in thread titles
    unless your gonna pay me to have my dog test beds

This. L8 has done some serious work and the H2 is one of the better rods out there. Even though they're a competitor, they make some good stuffs.
    One has to admit the Orvis owners become a dedicated bunch, especially in dedicating/reserving whole cemetary plots to their dogs...;-) Once actually overheard this in the Manchester store ~30yrs+ ago..along with The steelhead never really took the chum on this last trip...
    The rich ARE different..lol.

Back on track I have 2 brand manager jobs for BIG names coming down the line next week.
    Would like to hope that they don't choose their Alta drinking buddies....;-)

Had to get my 2 shots in...

I fish a shit ton and have Casted rods from a lot of manufacturers from boutique to mainstream. The H2 has by far the most back bone with a sensitive touch out of any rod I have thrown. And the super fine series just puts big smile on my face every time I cast them, I have the touch and the glass. The accuracy with dries from rolls to regular casting is unmatched from my experience.

And as for the orvis crew in Manchester. Well I had the pleasure of floating and wading with them and l8 a few weeks back. Couldn't ask for a nicer bunch of guys. I have known l8 for long time now but it felt like I knew them all just as long and the vibe yielded one of the most enjoyable days I have had on the water ever. I am of the camp that I will only buy orvis now. They have a great young blood crew in there that is doing their part to turn the industry and the name around fast. Wish I had the skills to take this job. Seems like an awesome place to work from the experienced folks I have Met.

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    I fish a shit ton and have Casted rods from a lot of manufacturers from boutique to mainstream. The H2 has by far the most back bone with a sensitive touch out of any rod I have thrown. And the super fine series just puts big smile on my face every time I cast them, I have the touch and the glass. The accuracy with dries from rolls to regular casting is unmatched from my experience.
    I reckon it's more the mechanic than the wrench.

My favorite was when Orvis pittsburg posted a bunch of photos they stole from a guy in Norway on their instagram account claiming the brown trout fishing was awesome.
    It was Orvis Boulder and P-A is from Sweden.

I just acquired my first Orvis fishing pole. It's an 11. Haven't cast it yet, but it wiggled real nice in the dining room.

Thanks to those that know me and know I work hard to make a difference. AKPM do me a favor and pm me, I want to send you a rod outfit and a pair of waders. We have changed a lot in the last 5-8 years and I would love to get your opinion on our gear now.

Job is still posted for those of you that want to develop dog beds.
    Harvest the ride.

Tell Jeremy I said hello, and he should check in on Seth every now and then.