Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Hugh Conway Guest
    well, 4 years later site testing is still apparently "some dude with a smartphone looking at the website" so why should anything else change.

Other than stoke no longer getting posted.

it just looks terrible
    even if it works
    it looks bad
    i hate it

the new font/layout suck balls, hard to read, feels like its making me go all cross eyed. White skin sucks slightly less but its in now way an improvement.

when I type a reply in the Quick Reply box its a serif font (ie better, can actually read it) but after its posted it goes to the sans-serif. Did team TGR take a bunch of acid to get the font selecting party going?

The fonts, the colors, the layout, the spacing -- it all sucks.

To the TGR webguys/Dunfee/whoever is remodeling this place -- here's an example of a legible, well-laid-out forum, that looks like it is using the same software as TGR. Take a look at it, and compare for yourself:

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Will the new format ensure that Rog's latest alias will be any smarter?
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

I just realized in white it looks like my Gmail page, which looks like shit.
    I can't decide if I hate the white or blue more...
    TGR ain't the only one. New LA Times website looks like shit too, as does the new RGJ website.

Boston.com looks the same. Everyone is going this route. Almost looks like a muse site but not as slick.
    And that's saying something as muse is made for people with zero coding skill.

thanks advers.
    crab in my shoe mouth

-Reply with Quote should be fixed now, please clear your cache to make sure it loads fresh
    -Could people who are experiencing slow load times elaborate - is it on a specific page, when you do a specific action, or anything more specific? Like "when i load the padded room it takes ten seconds" or "When I load any page on the forums it takes five seconds, but takes no time on the main site."
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

It just took ~4 seconds to refresh this page. To get here from main menu was just now so slow it actually stopped.... seems to be everywhere.

Don't even dare suggest it's my connection.

Edit: sending this post took several second too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I have quite a few movie screen grabs at work of how long it takes to load new posts. Like brit, one time it timed out after a minute. I assumed that was because some work was going on under the hood and didn't bother complaining. If it continues tomorrow I'll let you know with video.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    why is the new post page still full of politics
    back in the old days we had summits and people interacted irl
    no one makes plans to hook up and talk poli smack it"s a fuckin loser sport for sad fuckin
    dipshits that changes nothing except brings down the stoke
    if your makin money off it and need it man the fuck up and say so
    ps censorship sucks and it aint what this place was about
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

They're using 1/5th available space horizontally for advertisements (and they wonder why we use adblock).
    I think we've all know a long time ago this is nothing but trying to make money.
    I can't fault them for it, if I had a product that could make me money, I would use it as well.
    But with the continuous overbearing ads, the constant advantlinks and the ridiculous marketplace, this place has long ago become nothing but money to them.
    And I think that has been plainly obvious no matter what they say their ambitions are (but they don't talk to us anyway).
    Until today you couldn't even get a fucking straight answer about their app not working.

Hey guys, you want us to get you ad revenue? I'll turn my adblock off if you stop making it so fucking obvious.

I expected this transition to go as swimmingly as it has.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 7.39.59 PM.png 
Views:	173 
Size:	382.1 KB 
ID:	155665  

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    why is the new post page still full of politics
    back in the old days we had summits and people interacted irl
    no one makes plans to hook up and talk poli smack it"s a fuckin loser sport for sad fuckin
    dipshits that changes nothing except brings down the stoke
    if your makin money off it and need it man the fuck up and say so
    ps censorship sucks and it aint what this place was about
    Noted on the polyass shit in new post page. I edited DD's post a little prematurely. We wanna create a structure in which some of the very basic standards of human decency are honored here. We're thinking the best way about how to do so, but banning rog was a part of that philosophy, as was this. You'll never see me apologize for deleting or editing anyone's homophobic or racial slurs, though.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    The fonts, the colors, the layout, the spacing -- it all sucks.

To the TGR webguys/Dunfee/whoever is remodeling this place -- here's an example of a legible, well-laid-out forum, that looks like it is using the same software as TGR. Take a look at it, and compare for yourself:

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    -Reply with Quote should be fixed now, please clear your cache to make sure it loads fresh
    -Could people who are experiencing slow load times elaborate - is it on a specific page, when you do a specific action, or anything more specific? Like "when i load the padded room it takes ten seconds" or "When I load any page on the forums it takes five seconds, but takes no time on the main site."
    Seriously, look at Expedition Portal. Or MTBR:

http://forums.mtbr.com/forum.php

Or any of the many, many vBulletin forums that don't look all screwed up.

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/

Isn't there some basic format in which the software comes set up? Don't mess around with it so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by tgrweb View Post
    We have migrated hosts/servers, etc so yes this was needed. Thanks for working with us on these loose ends.
    Since when did migrating hosts necessitate changing code? This, is, fucking, awful. Maybe we'll all get used to it, I don't know. But I have an almost irrepressible urge to navigate away from this redesign for good.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    They're using 1/5th available space horizontally for advertisements (and they wonder why we use adblock).
    I think we've all know a long time ago this is nothing but trying to make money.
    I can't fault them for it, if I had a product that could make me money, I would use it as well.
    But with the continuous overbearing ads, the constant advantlinks and the ridiculous marketplace, this place has long ago become nothing but money to them.
    And I think that has been plainly obvious no matter what they say their ambitions are (but they don't talk to us anyway).
    Until today you couldn't even get a fucking straight answer about their app not working.

Hey guys, you want us to get you ad revenue? I'll turn my adblock off if you stop making it so fucking obvious.

I expected this transition to go as swimmingly as it has.
    Agreed on all points. I also like how now you guys are totally angling for us to essentially give you free content that might be featured; yeah, we can be internet heroes! The evolution of web 2.0 continues... I never posted stoke so that I could be pro. Likewise, I never posted criticism, or tech advice, so I could be worshipped. Isn't there a way for you to make money and not fuck over what's left of the community?
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    your crib bro run it as you see fit
    i can't fault anyonee for the pursuit of the almighty $$$$
    Ifin ya sent digitail dipshit packin no one would care
    but the moderations a slippery slope and the nun fistin realness was what made this place special
    i feel blessed to know what a fuckin wanker roj was irl
    so good riddance
    ifin it was my crib i'd be wonderin why all the good peeps
    in the rip armchair thread aint comin round no more
    and a bunch of polipooslingin shitfucks are
    and you'll never hear me apologuise for callin em such
    listen to the camel bro
    if it aint broke don't fix it
    and the gearswap sure wasn't broke
    fuck yeah swine
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Noted on the polyass shit in new post page. I edited DD's post a little prematurely. We wanna create a structure in which some of the very basic standards of human decency are honored here. We're thinking the best way about how to do so, but banning rog was a part of that philosophy, as was this. You'll never see me apologize for deleting or editing anyone's homophobic or racial slurs, though.
    This forum has operated as a little enclave of limited and largely invisible moderation for a very long time. That's relatively unique as far as message boards go and part of what keeps me coming back. Please don't fuck that up.

I
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    your crib bro run it as you see fit
    i can't fault anyonee for the pursuit of the almighty $$$$
    Ifin ya sent digitail dipshit packin no one would care
    but the moderations a slippery slope and the nun fistin realness was what made this place special
    i feel blessed to know what a fuckin wanker roj was irl
    so good riddance
    ifin it was my crib i'd be wonderin why all the good peeps
    in the rip armchair thread aint comin round no more
    and a bunch of polipooslingin shitfucks are
    and you'll never hear me apologuise for callin em such
    listen to the camel bro
    if it aint broke don't fix it
    and the gearswap sure wasn't broke
    fuck yeah swine
    That was good.

I mostly read the forums on the app these days.. I guess I'm gonna have to go old school and get on a computer to see what you old men are all bitching about.

I like the new activity stream. Maybe it isn't new but I finally noticed it. On other sites like Macrumors they have a similar feature they call forum spy that auto populates new activity every few seconds. Any way you can enable something like that for that stream/feed?

MUST. FOLLOW. BASIC...RRRRRR...STANDARDS.....FFFFFFFFFFFTTTTT... ..HUMAN DECENCY....GRRRR

All the discussion about the impending doom of allowing moderation aside, I think the move towards the "sleeker" look in the forum pages is part of what makes it difficult to read. There used to be a very slight separation between the posts that let them become their own entity. Each post was surrounded by its own, however thin, rectangle.

Now the entire page reads as one rather dark block with the bolded posts. There is no separation.

It's like one big fucking AkRover post.

If there was some sort of dividing line between the posts I think it would significantly improve the accessibility of individual posts to the eye.

IE -
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    JER <3's COck
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    DigitalDeath does doubles daily dishing disposable dicks
    WTB: Boxes, a hammer, industrial cleaner, and two midgets

VS:

JER <3's COck

DigitalDeath does doubles daily dishing disposable dicks

WTB: Boxes, a hammer, industrial cleaner, and two midgets