TR: Mount Baldy-Tushar Range

The plan had been to head to Jackson and ski the Grand this past weekend. However, the weather didn't look like it would line up for a summit attempt. We made a last minute decision and decided on the Tushars, outside of Beaver, UT. The plan was to check out a gated road that led up to Big John's Flat, thinking it would be open. No dice, gate was locked so we turned around and headed further up to Eagle Point ski resort. The approach from the ski resort is 7 miles one way to the objective, Mount Baldy 12,090 ft. We had read nohow's blog about a trip a couple weeks prior where he approached from the Manderville resevoir, but he scared us off when he mentioned that it was some of the worst bushwhacking he had ever done.

We arrived at Eagle Point ski resort and threw down our sleeping pads to get some sleep. Waking up around 6am we ate a quick breakfast then started skinning. Skinning from Eagle Point, Baldy in the distance. Lot's of brown between us and the objective.

After no more than a mile we realized this approach was going to suck, it was up and down across multiple drainages, linking iso-thermal snow patches. We turned around and headed back to the car. We didn't drive ~200 miles to get skunked, so we headed to the resevoir to test our luck. We arrived to the main gate, which was closed due to some new road damage. We would find out later that a small concrete bridge had partially collapsed. It looked like there was another way in that should bypass the damage. I have a Cherokee with a small lift and aggressive tires, glad I did, because the road in was pretty beat up, with climbs full of baby heads and slick downhills. We slowly worked our way through the technical sections and arrived at the fork that would bring us to the reservoir, whew!

Walking on dirt

Making progress above the reservoir

Mark a little further up

After ascending on dirt we finally hit the mellow ridge and started skinning, N face of Mount Baldy in the distance

Tossing the choss that was previously a handhold on the scramble up to the summit ridge

Booting up the ridge

Dropping!

Mark making some turns through avi chunder

Farming down low

Tracks

Now for the hike out

Fun day in the moutains, exploring new terrain

Strong work, always wanted to check out the Tushars.

jay maybe go back and crush the bike race later on? NIce TR dude!

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    jay maybe go back and crush the bike race later on? NIce TR dude!
    Not sure I would crush, need a carbon cx bike sponsor first . Cool area though that doesn't see much traffic.

it takes a special kinda crazy to want to hike/climb all that way to ride "variable" snow and avy chunder ...

where do I sign up ...

thanks for posting ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shadam View Post
    it takes a special kinda crazy to want to hike/climb all that way to ride "variable" snow and avy chunder ...

where do I sign up ...

thanks for posting ...
    The stats don't make the tour look all that impressive. I think it was 5k of total gain and 9 miles RT, but that dirt section felt like it took forever, especially since there is no trail. Type 1.5 fun